Home – New Forums Logistics Trucking business?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Alchemisst
    • Total posts: 26
    Up
    ::

Hi, I’ve been thinking about starting a trucking/ delivery business, don’t really have any idea where to start has anyone had any experience in this area? How would I get contracts/ work for the truck or what I need to know someone already?

Cheers,

Alex.

copywriter
    • Total posts: 61
    Up

Where are you based?

Do you have a truck license?

Alchemisst
    Up
    iMack, post: 17970 wrote:
    Where are you based?

Do you have a truck license?

Qld, Cairns at the moment but moving to sunshine coast/ Brisbane. So if I was to start the business it would probably be in that area. Don’t have my truck license yet, will have soon though.

copywriter
    • Total posts: 61
    Up

I am in brisbane, I may have a contact or two.

Let me know when u arrive.

Accounts Studio
    • Total posts: 516
    Up

Hi Alex
    You need to define, if you haven’t already, who your target market are – are you going to be doing courier type jobs within your area, or removals, etc – once you know who you are targetting it will be a lot easier to give advice about how to reach them.

ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up

My first impression is that you don’t have mush (if any) experience in the area?

If so I would advise you get a job working for someone else – at least for a few months – to get some knowledge before jumping in.

Hopefully you should learn some tips and tricks and maybe also build some relationships that may help you out once you startup your own business.

Alchemisst
    Up
    ray_223, post: 18002 wrote:
    My first impression is that you don’t have mush (if any) experience in the area?

If so I would advise you get a job working for someone else – at least for a few months – to get some knowledge before jumping in.

Hopefully you should learn some tips and tricks and maybe also build some relationships that may help you out once you startup your own business.

Hi, no I don’t have any experience in the area at the moment, don’t even have my HR license yet lol. So maybe getting some experience would be a good idea, not sure how easy it will be to find a job though..

Also to the other question about what type of work I’d want to do, probably deliver/ freight work would be my choice.

Regards,

Alex.

Engelbert Alwin
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Start small and think big. Use a flat bed to make small moves, subcontract short hauls. Use your head to make the most of you and your truck. If you do not have a garage that means you are paying someone else to fix your rig. So stay small until you can get more people.

Alchemisst
    Up
    Engelbert Alwin, post: 18887 wrote:
    Start small and think big. Use a flat bed to make small moves, subcontract short hauls. Use your head to make the most of you and your truck. If you do not have a garage that means you are paying someone else to fix your rig. So stay small until you can get more people.

So you recommend not buying but leasing a truck at first? What do you mean by paying someone else to fix the rig?

Kurnai
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

Hi, Like you we are just starting up a business in the trucking Industry, it is not on the driving side, rather the sort of site you may need in the future, if not now, ..It is called LoadItUp and is an Australia Wide Web Based service to allow both truck operators AND business/people with goods (ALL sizes/shapes) that require Road Transport to find/contact each other,.find us at Loaditup.net (go to loads)
    We are still in design development and setup, BUT, the site is open to have a look, Keep in Mind, this is only the working development part of the business setup, we hope to be operational by December..
    To get a better idea of what we are doing go to http://www.loadup.co.uk/ and that is what we are bringing to Australia (and VERY possibly N.Z.)

We will keep in touch with FlyingSolo and advise developments/ask questions (’cause I’m sure to have some :):)
    Jody.

n.b.:We are operating out of Townsville, WHY go to Bris, there is Loads of Transport work in Townsville..

Good Luck with it..

BB
    • Total posts: 215
    Up

Hey Alex,

Didn’t you ask these same type of questions in some other threads? Didn’t I answer a similar question about being a mortgage broker?

It seems that you’d like to be a soloist, but have no idea in what industry you’d like to work.

Having a passion for something is usually a good start and I’m sure if you read through some of the other threads/posts you’ll find some great information about starting a business and finding your niche.

Good luck with your search!

B.B.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

Scanning through the responses I agree with Ray – you need to work in the industry first.

Seems like a flash in the pan idea – but not backed by anything. You might find people in that industry real ars@*&es and that you hate the hours, the vibration of trucks hurts your back etc.

My nephew got the idea of buying a truck for removals work, but after working at it for 6 months now does not like the work at all – lucky he was working for someone and without a 200,000$ loan on a truck he does not want to use….

Get some time under your belt working for someone else first, maybe up to a year.

RawMarketing
    • Total posts: 31
    Up

A friend of mine’s parents own a distribution business…. they distribute magazines, newspapers and soft drinks so far I think.

They generally approach/get approached by companies and put forward a tender for that companies distribution contract in their given area. If their proposal is more sound, they win the contract for however long the period may be.

They seem to do well, but they have an excellent reputation and I assume it’s not an easy business, nor low-overheads.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.