Home – New Forums Starting your journey Trusts, companies, ABN ACN TFN

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    MickB
    • Total posts: 19
    Up
    ::

Hi guys,

My accountant just registered a discretionary trust for me, and then a corporate trustee of which my wife is the director. The company has an ACN issued.

Just a question, does the company need an ABN and TFN too?

The company is not carrying out business, but is rather just the entity as trustee for our trust. It won’t be carrying out business in its own regard, simply handling negotiations for our trust.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Mick,

If I remember correctly an abn is only required if you or your entity is conducting business, so If the company isnt trading it shouldnt need an abn.

Steve

The Profit People
    • Total posts: 76
    Up

Hi Mick,

Yes, thats correct.

The Trust only needs a ABN/ TFN and not the company.

Cheers

taxgain
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

Hi Mike

The Trustee Company does not require ABN / TFN.

thanks

MickB
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

Thanks all. That is what I thought but just wanted to check I hadn’t forgotten to do something. Looks to be in order. Now just need to go get a new business bank account of the trust. Should be fun!

michaelmaloney
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

Glad to have stumbled upon this. I was looking for a similar solution for a question raised by a colleague for his trust unit. But I think he would need to get an ABN since he is conducting business. I am not sure though if he is listed as a director of the trust unit. If he isn’t, should it still require for an ABN?

NickKaro
    • Total posts: 226
    Up

Generally the operating entity has a TFN and ABN, the trustee company does not require its own ABN/TFN if it is only acting as trustee.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.