Home Forums Selling online Trying to find laws around reselling clothing online

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    rubysfriends
    • Total posts: 3

So last year I found a clothing product that was super popular overseas and as this retailer did not ship overseas I started doing it. I purchase the item in store, pay retail price then mark up the product a little to cover costs such as PayPal fees, PayPal currency conversions, exchange rate, eBay fees etc. I leave all of the retailer tags and I DO NOT claim these clothing items to be my creation. At the moment I do not have a business it’s just a hobby.

I’m in Vic and I’ve tried to find the exact laws online with no luck. I did contact the retailer a while ago about getting access to additional stock that had been on clearance and they never informed me I was doing anything wrong. My understanding is if I purchase a product I now own it and I can do with as a please. After posting on some Facebook groups I am now receiving negative, nasty & threatening messages from members so I would love to stick it to them with the current laws.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,472

What is the context of the ” negative, nasty & threatening messages from members”.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,158

Howdy and welcome,

Firstly, i am curious like Bert is as well about the negative comments, although more importantly i am more curious on why you are concerned about these comments?

Although you say it is a hobby, you are buying them to onsell and make a profit and this should be your only concern.. Not the comments you are receiving, unless your character is being questioned etc etc.

Whilst i can see the reason you are asking about laws and pinpointing them accurately so you can ‘stick it to them’, i am really not sure what the benefit would be in this other than self gratification – which, if you are trying to work on your ‘hobby’ and make money, will not actually get you anywhere.

Try to focus on you and what you can do.. Trolls will be trolls. All that being said, what i do find intriguing is that you have posted this here as a cut and paste from other FaceBoook groups (i have seen this in at least 2 rooms i am part of) an yet FB is where you are getting your negative comments?

If you are purely chasing a piece of legislation that backs your hobby, i would suggest you either pay for a lawyer to ‘stick it’ to these individuals who appear to have upset you or move on.

As other threads have mentioned, retail arbitrage is a ok… What people sometimes get upset about is you can make money over them.

A key point to remember, just as an FYI, if someone doesnt say you cant do it – it doesnt always mean you can though – eg: ignorance to the law is not a valid defence (meaning if you were not told, you are free to do it)…

More context is possibly warranted.. although i feel without knowing the comments you are referring to, we actually dont know if they are petty or serious enough to consider.

rubysfriends
    bb1, post: 268861, member: 53375 wrote:
    What is the context of the ” negative, nasty & threatening messages from members”.

thank you for your reply. The messages were in the line of I’m a criminal, partaking in illegal activities, these people have contacted the retailer, ATO, Facebook & the police for scamming people.

rubysfriends
    LucasArthur, post: 268862, member: 34537 wrote:
    Howdy and welcome,

Firstly, i am curious like Bert is as well about the negative comments, although more importantly i am more curious on why you are concerned about these comments?

Although you say it is a hobby, you are buying them to onsell and make a profit and this should be your only concern.. Not the comments you are receiving, unless your character is being questioned etc etc.

Whilst i can see the reason you are asking about laws and pinpointing them accurately so you can ‘stick it to them’, i am really not sure what the benefit would be in this other than self gratification – which, if you are trying to work on your ‘hobby’ and make money, will not actually get you anywhere.

Try to focus on you and what you can do.. Trolls will be trolls. All that being said, what i do find intriguing is that you have posted this here as a cut and paste from other FaceBoook groups (i have seen this in at least 2 rooms i am part of) an yet FB is where you are getting your negative comments?

If you are purely chasing a piece of legislation that backs your hobby, i would suggest you either pay for a lawyer to ‘stick it’ to these individuals who appear to have upset you or move on.

As other threads have mentioned, retail arbitrage is a ok… What people sometimes get upset about is you can make money over them.

A key point to remember, just as an FYI, if someone doesnt say you cant do it – it doesnt always mean you can though – eg: ignorance to the law is not a valid defence (meaning if you were not told, you are free to do it)…

More context is possibly warranted.. although i feel without knowing the comments you are referring to, we actually dont know if they are petty or serious enough to consider.

Thank you for your reply. You can see my reply to Burt above.

I totally agree with you. There is no excuse for engaging with these toxic people. However the last week I’ve only had a few hours sleep a night as I’m my mums full time carer who is terminally ill. The lack of sleep made me cranky & angry so I stupidly baited these people.

I don’t believe I have anything to worry about, I’ve got all my receipts, transactions so if authorities come knocking I have everything to show them.

My reason for posting on here, I was after a different point of view on the situation.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,158
    rubysfriends, post: 268893, member: 117224 wrote:
    Thank you for your reply. You can see my reply to Burt above.

I totally agree with you. There is no excuse for engaging with these toxic people. However the last week I’ve only had a few hours sleep a night as I’m my mums full time carer who is terminally ill. The lack of sleep made me cranky & angry so I stupidly baited these people.

I don’t believe I have anything to worry about, I’ve got all my receipts, transactions so if authorities come knocking I have everything to show them.

My reason for posting on here, I was after a different point of view on the situation.

Oh, ok… IMO, you are not doing anything wrong… maybe profiteering, which sadly some people frown upon if you are marking up an already retail item.. There are people in the world that feel they are owed and others that are grateful you helped.. Something you have done, posted or have just poked the wrong bear has brought out ones that feel they have been wronged. And yet, remarkably, they probably arent even your customer..

Would love someone to call the cops, ATO or other.. If you are buying to resell, ATO may be interested if you dont declare.. If you buy to resell overseas, not sure why locals would care.. If you buy and exhaust sales items to profiteer and sell locally and OS, well that might get some noses out of joint cos ‘they missed out’ – but truly, i dont think there is any legal issue here..

BUt to be sure, you really shouldnt ask legal questions on a public forum (here or Fb or similar) as you may encounter google professionals that tell you the wrong info

Cheers and happy sourcing

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.