Home – New Forums Starting your journey Trying to start a business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kylie Wilson
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi I’m a single stay at home mother and want to start a business just through Facebook I’ve created a page of mine and found some clothes suppliers overseas. But I don’t know what I need to start I’ve read a lot .
    do I need an Abn, licenses to sell, customs broker, freight forwarder, will I pay a have to pay a fortune to get the items I pay for online delivered to Australia to my door?
    Basically all I want to do is buy items online get them delivered then resell to make a profit.
    Can you help. Thanks

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up

There are a lot of different questions there. The import tax will depend on the types and quantities of product you’re importing. That information is all available on gov websites, some quick googling will get you on the right path. Same goes for shipping costs, it’s all going to be based on volume obviously.

I would suggest that you’ll need to register an ABN too.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Kylie,

This thread contains links to a number of posts that include helpful info for you.

In my experience, the best way to make your way through the confusion you find yourself in is to sit down and start your business plan, researching the answers to all your questions step by step.

Good luck for your new venture, :)
    Jayne

Luth6322
    • Total posts: 82
    Up

HI Kylie

This might help. It’s a link to the ATO website which guides you through the business registrations you maybe required to have:

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Registration/Work-out-which-registrations-you-need/

It probably won’t help with the export side of things, but certainly for the general business requirements.

Cheers

Carrie

PowerCustomsServices
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Depending on the quantity you are importing if its under $1000 including FOB then you wouldn’t need a agent. Might be best to contact your supplier and get an idea of the size of your import and consult with a broker and it would be easiest if you had an agent that did freight forwarding and clearance.
    I would recommend Power Customs Services. 9600 2290.

Kylie Wilson, post: 191978 wrote:
    Hi I’m a single stay at home mother and want to start a business just through Facebook I’ve created a page of mine and found some clothes suppliers overseas. But I don’t know what I need to start I’ve read a lot .
    do I need an Abn, licenses to sell, customs broker, freight forwarder, will I pay a have to pay a fortune to get the items I pay for online delivered to Australia to my door?
    Basically all I want to do is buy items online get them delivered then resell to make a profit.
    Can you help. Thanks
    ShellysBookkeeping
    • Total posts: 89
    Up

Hi Kylie,

Yes you will need an ABN and to register your business name. You need to consider the different options for setting up a business prior to getting an ABN. For example sole trader vs trust vs partnership vs company. I suggest you speak with an accountant about what suits you best. As for the rest of your questions, hopefully google or other members can help.

Cheers shelly

JohnGreen87
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

You definitely need to research a lot before you start. As far as I know, it would be good to have an ABN, even though you’ll sell things over the internet. The transport fees are different for each country, so you’ll have to check the requirement for the specific country you have chosen to work with. You will also have to learn a thing or two about how to use all the facebook options, if you want to use it to sell things. It will help you gain more popularity among the users and bring new clients for your business.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.