Home – New Forums Starting your journey Trying to work out what sort of forms / paperwork I need for my business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    T j Turner
    • Total posts: 240
    Up
    ::

I am trying to work out what business forms / paperwork that I might need for my business. So far I have the following:
    * Business cards
    * Order Form
    * Tax Invoice
    * With compliments Slips
    * Supplier’s order form (to keep track of what I order from suppliers and when

Not sure if there is anything else that I need. Also what sort of paperwork do I need for my customers

DavidThomas
    • Total posts: 265
    Up

Hi TjTurner,

Lets work through this in a logical manner.

You mention you have an order form, I would imagine this would also include the required details from your customer?

If it doesn’t, then you should add the required customer details to this form. If your customers have to fill out a paper form, then only make them do it once.

Have you considered making your customer order/suppliers order a digital system? There are many accounting/stock control – cloud based services that could be setup to manage alot of this for you. These also prevent human errors in terms of stock control/ordering.

I guess it depends on the nature of the products your selling, your budget and how quickly you want to grow. If you want to do everything quick (and you have a budget) then develop a scalable system now so that you can handle heaps of sales every day without melting your brain and getting lost in a office full of paperwork.

VehicleMods
    • Total posts: 124
    Up
    T j Turner, post: 74858 wrote:
    I am trying to work out what business forms / paperwork that I might need for my business. So far I have the following:
    * Business cards
    * Order Form
    * Tax Invoice
    * With compliments Slips
    * Supplier’s order form (to keep track of what I order from suppliers and when

Not sure if there is anything else that I need. Also what sort of paperwork do I need for my customers

For a paper based system, you’ve got a good start. Maybe consider:

1. Lead/request for quote
    2. Quotation
    3. Purchase Order (which might be your suppliers order form)
    4. Request for Credit Note

Talk over your requirements with a commercial printer and use carbonless (NCR) forms where possible if you are handing out an original an need to keep a record.

Some notes:
    Item 1: A pad of bright coloured paper that you can scribble down details of a customer’s request on. Be sure to include Name, Address, phone, email etc. Can be discarded once actioned so only 1 copy required.

Item 2: A formal quote that you issue after working through Item 1. More often than not a computer generated form today.

Item 3: Include job number or reference back to customer

Item 4: If you have to return goods to a supplier for credit, I found nothing gets done unless they have paperwork to act off. I made mine numbered and 3 part. 1 for supplier, 1 to attach to invoice so you know what has not been paid and the other stays in the book. If you use a computer accounting system, you can enter the credit details into your system and when they call you about not paying the invoice, you can quickly tell them why!

Also to keep costs down, you can make your tax invoice work for quotes and request for quotes just by including a couple of boxes to tick! Make sure you print your bank details on the form

T j Turner
    • Total posts: 240
    Up

I am a small home base online business which I sell papercraft supplies ie cardmaking / scrapbooking supplies and looking at selling other items on my site.

To give you an idea what I sell here is the link to my site http://tjturner.openstores.com.au/index.html

Five Star PA
    • Total posts: 64
    Up

I would trying to eliminate as many manual forms as you can. In my business I only have one thing printed and that’s business cards. Especially if you have an online business. I would be looking at finding a basic database program that can automate a lot of these processes for you, once you start looking at what avail you’ll be amazed. There are even some good free ones out there. That way you can capture all your leads/sales and have a good CRM program as well. Have a look at zoho for a free option. Then work through you whole process for woe to go and make sure every step of the way is documented some how.

Meredith

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.