Home – New Forums Marketing mastery TV Advertising – How much is it?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    My Wedding Concierge
    • Total posts: 109
    Up
    ::

Hey everyone, we’re thinking hard about the possibility of doing some TV advertising to promote a free offer that we have running for businesses at the moment.

We’re most likely going to be advertising in major cities, so was just wondering if anyone can give us an idea of what the costs would be etc. I’m talking about costs of advertising, not production costs. Thanks in advance :)

Blue Jet
    • Total posts: 189
    Up

Very interested to get some info on this, I hope somebody will comment on experience.

Evo the marketing guy
    • Total posts: 58
    Up

If you want the Masterchef grand final, $45,000 per 30 seconds…

I’ve only got access to some older rate cards, but think $2000-$30,000 per 30 seconds for national coverage.

Naturally, the less eyeballs, the cheaper the ads. Much cheaper options exist on the digital channels.

You can get a basic package for sub-$20,000 but you’d be flashing around at odd hours of the day.

If you have some money, and a really strong call to action, radio can do amazing things. Cheaper, and you can really segment your market based on listeners. As with any above the line advertising, test in a small area first as your dollars will be flying out the door…

There are lots of small business success stories via radio.

Best example local (victorian) I can think of is the ‘hello, hello’ catch-cry for the Wombat Gully Plant farm. These guys took a dull plant farm to the next level with annoying ads.

DavidM
    • Total posts: 329
    Up

Evo is correct. It all depends on how many eyeballs you want (and who’s eyeballs they are). Also, the rate you are charged will depend on your spend commitment. As it sounds like you’re going for a one-off campaign, the stations will charge you the standard rate which Evo have given.

I also agree with Evo about radio perhaps being a better medium. Radio is built for services marketing because you don’t have to actually see the product – so this is well suited to your needs.

Just be aware that radio and TV are more expensive than other alternatives of online marketing, forum editorial marketing or forum email marketing. You may want to approach websites that are suited to your niche and see what other options are available.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hey MWC,

thanks for asking this.. i have been circling this query for a while, although i tend to always park the idea…

more eyeballs = more money.. hope it establishes this equation though more eyeballs = more sales…

Ty again.. and for the info from replies..

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up
    Evo ‘the marketing guy’, post: 119356 wrote:
    If you want the Masterchef grand final, $45,000 per 30 seconds…

Is that all??? I would have thought it would be much more.

A 30 second ad during the Superbowl will set you back a lazy $3.5m.

Gavin_S
    • Total posts: 80
    Up

Hi Guys,
    Interesting question – and while I hate to give the “how long is a piece of string” answer it really is a difficult one to answer.
    We have clients booking TV at all ends of the spectrum – the smallest TV campaign we booked in the last 12 months was for $5k for a one week campaign (and returned a phenomenal ROI for that business – we have used this business owner for testimonials) through to businesses that spend $400k+ on TV campaigns.
    The cost per commercial can vary enormously depending on the station and program, your budget, relationship with the station/rep, as well as other market factors. Top rating programs attract premium rates, whereas digital stations offer (daytime) placements that are often MUCH cheaper than radio commercials. Though you need to factor in the cost of getting a TV commercial produced is much higher than producing a radio commercial.
    It depends on the audience you want to reach, and what you’re hoping to get out of the campaign.
    Evo’s suggestion of radio is worth looking at, I’ve worked with a wedding registry in the past that had great success using radio in Sydney (2DAY FM) and Melbourne (FOX FM) to drive new sign-ups on their website.
    There are some really good rates in the market at the moment. And if you need some recommendations for some decent (and reasonably priced) production houses to quote you on getting a commercial made just inbox me and I will send you some links to check out.
    good luck!

Gavin

nominal
    • Total posts: 504
    Up
    My Wedding Concierge, post: 119262 wrote:
    Hey everyone, we’re thinking hard about the possibility of doing some TV advertising to promote a free offer that we have running for businesses at the moment.

We’re most likely going to be advertising in major cities, so was just wondering if anyone can give us an idea of what the costs would be etc. I’m talking about costs of advertising, not production costs. Thanks in advance :)

This is an interesting subject, I have had a little play with TVC and the jury is still out on the results :-)

We had two campaigns one if QLD and one in VIC, now most of our customers come from QLD – the worse thing is that it is hard to track TVC and prove ROI.

I have written a little post about it here:
    http://www.nominal.com.au/blog/entry/our-tv-commercial-adventure-part-1

Gavin_S
    • Total posts: 80
    Up

Hi Nominal,
    Interesting blog post… Was there a follow up post?
    And yes it can be difficult to measure exact ROI as people respond differently (and at different times), but there are certain things you can build in to your campaign to give you an idea of where the leads come from a such as an offer that’s only promoted through television, or direct people to a micro site or landing page that you can measure.
    It would also be interesting to know what your TVC was like in terms of quality and content, as well as the placements. I saw on your blog that your purchased a campaign that offered run of station commercials, this is risky… Your commercial most likely ran during programs that aren’t being watched by your target market.
    Most TV, Radio, and Newspapers offer special packages (usually sold as 12 month contracts) that offer 60-80% discounts for run of station ads…. As a general rule these should be avoided as they don’t allow any targeting of your audience. It’s a shotgun approach that will never work as well as a strategically placed campaign.
    Cheers,

Gavin

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

Hi Uri,

I also want the part 2!

Very interesting, and brave of you to put a business product on TV, I have often wondered how it would go. I was also surprised at the cost, I thought it would be ridiculously more. when I spoke to a company about radio, they said I couldn’t get change out of $10k!

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    Evo ‘the marketing guy’, post: 119356 wrote:
    Best example local (victorian) I can think of is the ‘hello, hello’ catch-cry for the Wombat Gully Plant farm. These guys took a dull plant farm to the next level with annoying ads.Except they are broke now…
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.