Home – New Forums Starting your journey Twitter – is anyone else sick of having to censor yourself?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Kosta_Kondratenko
    • Total posts: 108
    Up
    ::

So I run a video production comapany I’ve recently set up a Twitter account, in all fairness I think Twitter is one of the coolest web apps ever, people compare it to Facebook but I think they are totally different beasts.

So I have a Twitter account, do you think I should just censor myself? There are some things I say that some asshole out there is going to get offended about.

Here’s my Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/KostaKondras

So what do you think? To censor or not to censor. I mean certainly if people see I am a Director of a video production company and want to check out my Twitter, knowing I’m 22 they would assume I live a life. Is this something that is going to work against me. I don’t want to spend too much time writing this post, I think you understand the issue I am getting at and I am sure there is a time when the media or social science magazines covered it to death.

What is your take on this topic/phenomenon?

Regards

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

I think twitter is rubbish and I don’t get why it’s so popular. People who operate businesses and have twitter accounts, post some absolute garbage sometimes. So you just need to think twice before you tweet.

I also don’t get why celebrities have twitter accounts. They must get bombarded with Q’s and comments.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

if you feel the need to censor then maybe you should set up an account in a pseudonym. There are too many cases of people sinking their own ships through posting things they later regret – not just twitter, but anywhere on the net.

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

It’s a business. Censor it. Do you turn up to work with spilt tomato sauce on your suit? It’s not rocket science…

I’m with Dan on the twitter is stupid thing…mind you I’ve never used it…just always seemed like a stupid concept to me……perhaps I’m wrong…maybe nobody will care what you say on twitter:)

Kosta_Kondratenko
    Up
    john.sheppard, post: 21742 wrote:
    It’s a business. Censor it. Do you turn up to work with spilt tomato sauce on your suit? It’s not rocket science…

I’m with Dan on the twitter is stupid thing…mind you I’ve never used it…just always seemed like a stupid concept to me……perhaps I’m wrong…maybe nobody will care what you say on twitter:)

Great, thanks for the replies.

dan: I am 100% with you. If you have not used Twitter it sounds like the most self conceited stupid useless thing ever but here’s the thing, use it (for god’s sake it’s free… and no ads what more do you want) and then come to a decision. I got a Twitter account because I met a CEO of a video delivery technology company who was recently voted Entrepreneur of the Year by the government. It’s not just celebrities that have Twitter, if you want to put something down you have to look at the facts, the web is full of try hards and if a company like Twitter does well there is a reason, I love coming back from some event and posting up some quick info on what happened, then someone can read that and say “Hey I heard you did this and that”. It’s actually not only fun but very practical. My point is, if you want to bag Twitter consider
    * Why is everyone who is anyone using it?
    * Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it.
    Fair?

King: I understand the pseudonym. In the end I like controversy, I believe I do not state opinions but facts and I am open to anyone who wishes to challenge my beliefs. Isn’t debate one of the cornerstones of a free society.

john.sheppard: hahaha I like it. Okay, well even if no one listens to me on Twitter I’m just keeping it as a little personal diary. Is that okay and fair enough? Not everyone can be Brad Pitt, but if we’re scared of people not being interested in us and we don’t go for it what will we think?

LeelaCosgrove
    • Total posts: 634
    Up

Lolz.

I NEVER censor myself.

And I make a LOT of money from Twitter.

More from Facebook, though.

“I also don’t get why celebrities have twitter accounts. They must get bombarded with Q’s and comments. “

Urrr … that’s kind of the point.

If you could go to a FREE networking event that ran 24/7 with hundreds of thousands of your prospects there – wander around, meet potential clients, talk to them about what they want, who they are, where they are going, how you could help them – would you do it?

What if you knew all of your competitors were going there and pilfering your clients?

In the game of business, he who is top of mind when the client is looking for a solution, wins.

I interact with my prospects on a daily basis – and they LOVE it! Imagine trying to send out a daily newsletter? Your clients would kill you …

Instead, I talk to them about their dogs and their kids and what they’re having for dinner, as well as answering their business questions.

And by doing that I become a real person.

Kinda of like what happens on Flying Solo … I mean, you GET that this is the same creature as Twitter and Facebook, only in a slightly different format – right?

Anonymous
    Up

I’ve got twitter accounts but I still think it’s rubbish. It’s a case of you’re either in or you’re out.

Never done facebook or myspace…. people collecting “friends” is just too sad! And never done linkedin…. (facebook for the over 40’s as some call it). I just don’t like spreading my personal info all over the net.

Anonymous
    Up
    LeelaCosgrove, post: 21747 wrote:
    And I make a LOT of money from Twitter.

More from Facebook, though.
    Really?… how? All jobs I see tweeted are from people wanting everything and paying next to nothing for it. But you’re in a different industry to me I guess.

Kinda of like what happens on Flying Solo … I mean, you GET that this is the same creature as Twitter and Facebook, only in a slightly different format – right?

But people don’t post about what they had for dinner and other crap. It’s embarrassing some of the pointless garbage business owners are posting just to be seen posting something.

LeelaCosgrove
    Up

Yes Dan, you’re right.

Collecting “friends” is totally sad.

So is collecting people on your database.

How LAME!

And you know … it’s way more important to be cool than to make money! Cause that’s why we’re in business. To look cool.

Anonymous
    Up
    LeelaCosgrove, post: 21747 wrote:
    Urrr … that’s kind of the point.

If you could go to a FREE networking event that ran 24/7 with hundreds of thousands of your prospects there – wander around, meet potential clients, talk to them about what they want, who they are, where they are going, how you could help them – would you do it?

What if you knew all of your competitors were going there and pilfering your clients?

They’re celebrities. They’re not out to make a sale. it’s not like they’re going to be unpopular by not tweeting. And most if not all of them hardly reply back so it’s really just an ego boost for them.eg. like when ashton kutcher was trying to be the first to get 1 million followers.

LeelaCosgrove
    Up
    dan, post: 21750 wrote:
    Really?… how? All jobs I see tweeted are from people wanting everything and paying next to nothing for it. But you’re in a different industry to me I guess.

But people don’t post about what they had for dinner and other crap. It’s embarrassing some of the pointless garbage business owners are posting just to be seen posting something.

Oh – are you employed?

I make money from Twitter by creating relationships with people. EXACTLY the same way I make money from my database.

Develop the relationship, interact, then sell them into stuff. We did $10k in sales last week just between Twitter and Facebook.

Awesome thing about both Twitter and Facebook is that when you communicate with one client – a LOT of people see it … you become top of mind … they click through to your website, sign up for your stuff … ask about your events / products / consulting / service.

It’s nothing to do with industry.

I know lawyers, chiropractors, accountants, mentors, coaches, pizza shops, cafes, websites, mechanics, retail shops – all making money from Twitter.

If you set up accounts and talk AT people you’ll never get anywhere.

It’s all about relationship building – just like all business is!

LeelaCosgrove
    Up
    dan, post: 21752 wrote:
    They’re celebrities. They’re not out to make a sale. it’s not like they’re going to be unpopular by not tweeting. And most if not all of them hardly reply back so it’s really just an ego boost for them.

Of course they’re out to make a sale – they sell themselves daily to the studios, to the public.

Do you think Ashton Kutcher being the first person to crack 1Million followers on Twitter meant something?

Sure did!

Got him on ALL the talk shows (Letterman, Oprah) – increases his top of mind awareness … which translates to more people wanting to see his movies … which translates to more money for him and the studio

Kosta_Kondratenko
    Up

Leela I want you as a contact, how do I get Followers? Can you just go to people who have the same category as you in business and suck up their followers?

That is genius. I never thought of that. Do you have to follow someone if they follow you?

And Leela you are so lame collecting lists and doing all that silly stuff. What’s wrong with you?

I’m going to put Twitter on my business card!! Twitter is by far the greatest thing ever. By the way do I get an e-mail if people send me a private message? Hmm… cool.

Actually forget that i’ll just have to buy that book on Twitter that had the Foreward by Anthony Robbins.

Regards

Anonymous
    Up
    LeelaCosgrove, post: 21751 wrote:
    Yes Dan, you’re right.

Collecting “friends” is totally sad.

So is collecting people on your database.

Not really the same thing.

Kosta_Kondratenko
    Up

Please read the sarcasm.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.