Home – New Forums Starting your journey Twitter – is anyone else sick of having to censor yourself?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    LeelaCosgrove
    • Total posts: 634
    Up
    ::

Hey Chris,

My biggest tip would be that for every marketing message you post – post 2 things about everyday life – and go and comment on other people’s stuff at least 10 times (good quality posts – answer people’s questions, try and help them).

With this kind of a ratio, it doesn’t MATTER when you post. People will be drawn to your page because they read how cool you’re being elsewhere and then, if the offer appeals, they’ll contact you.

The #1 rule of Social Media is interaction.

Even Telstra gets this – check out the #asktelstra meme from yesterday – it was AWESOME! People started posting stupid #asktelstra questions – How much wood would a woodchucker chuck if a woodchucker could chuck wood?

Telstra have two Customer Service guys who actually respond to all posts … Jase and Scott. And they went through and answered pretty much every question …

“The amount of wood a Woodchucker chucks is dependent on three variables:”

Customer Service / Corporate Social Media FTW!

Coles Online have a guy called Hugh who does the same thing.

Fact is, the corporates have finally GOTTEN IT!

Social media, like everything else, is about people. And people like to interact with other people.

What would you prefer –

To talk to Telstra’s voice recognition thing?

Or to chat to Jase and Scott on Twitter?

Some people WILL choose the computer – because they don’t like people. That’s cool, but those people will NEVER understand social media …

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

And is that how Twitter works better than Facebook for business “personality”?

I can’t do shit all with my Facebook fan page, and my personal account doesn’t really say who I am and what I do. Whereas Twitter I can be personal with my business.

Do you have a fav?

LeelaCosgrove
    • Total posts: 634
    Up

I prefer Facebook because the level of ongoing interaction is higher – I see Twitter as being kinda like the old days when we used to go into chat rooms …

Twitter is still useful – and fun when you’ve got enough followers!

Mr Tweet is your friend for friends

http://mrtweet.com/home

Then get in there and talk to people!

It’s just like any database – the more people you’re talking to the more often, the more money you make.

I watched Mari Smith get on stage at the Dan Kennedy event in the US in November … she gets up at 10:30am, sends a single Tweet, gets on stage at 5pm and has made US$250,000.

But she’s got 1million followers.

And she interacts with them constantly.

And that makes ALL the difference.

When we first started doing events we struggled to put 18 people in a room for $97 on 2 for 1 tickets, we would be scrambling to get them in a few days before the event.

Using social media, we’ve grown to a point where we easily put 10 people in a room for $997 each in three States and sell out events a month before they’re on.

It’s just one (or two, or three) more ways for people to see you and get to know you …

And either love you or hate you …

The secret is to have SOME of them hate you …

You make a LOT more money that way.

danrippon
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

What a great thread! It’s got everything – a solid OP question, informative replies, flaming, trolling and a good ending! Admittedly, the flaming did get a bit tiresome for a while in the middle part of the plot, but it bounced back!

To add my own two cents – Twitter is a beast that you will either get or not. From the outside, it’s all too easy to see it as being full of vapid & banal content (hang on – have you turned on the TV lately?!), but from the inside, it can also be a great interactional / promotional tool for you and your brand.

That said, I’ve introduced a couple of people now who were both unsure of its potential (one as vehemently as poster Dan), but now use Twitter as part of their marketing plan to spread their influence, authority and to build and strengthen relationships with their “tribe”. Much to the benefit of their respective businesses.

The kicker to it all of course is that its free – bloody hell, the chance of free marketing – and potentially generating income from writing a few lines about yourself, including a few links to what you’re reading etc – why the hell wouldn’t you?

To get back on topic, and to the OP (if you’re still around), I do censor, only because there are some things I post on my personal Facebook page that wouldn’t belong on my business’ fan page. And while posts to my Twitter feed will likely be professional, anything personal that’s there will likely have some sort of connection to my business or the industry I’m in.

(You could think of it as the difference between what you’d talk about with Granny and what you’d talk about with your mates!)

To all those still on the fence, Twitter and its ilk are not the be all and end all. They are only part of a new and emerging trend, that yes, may one day become the dominant force, and while a lot of early adopters may get it, others won’t. And in 2010, if all predictions are to be proved, those that do will be in a stronger position than those that don’t.

PS: For the pro set, if you haven’t already, I’d highly recommend reading Trust Agents by Chris Brogan & Julien Smith. Well worth it.

Cheers all, have a great Christmas!

siringo
    • Total posts: 39
    Up

Yep, what a thread about something people either think is great or rubbish.

I haven’t read the 7 pages in this thread that have appeared over the past day and a bit, as it’s more than 140 characters!

I’m spilt on twitter, I used to use it as a way of creating a knowledge database on my favourite pass time. I used to post notes about this and that and then import my twitter posts into a lifestream which stored all its data in a database. Then I could obviously search the db for all the info I had posted in via twitter.

But now … umph. I don’t use it much, but I think I’ll will again later on.

Blogging was supposed to be the bees knees a few years back, but twitter I believe will be one of the predominant services in the future. Your average working stiff doesn’t have the time to sit down and read page after page of stuff, but reading twitter posts only takes seconds.

Twitter really satisfies the double click, want it now, can’t wait for it mentality that alot of us have developed since Mr Gates threw Windows at us all.

I just recently began following a musician based in Ohio. I’ve been a fan of his for about 7 years and I’ve never felt so involved with him and the band, he posts on twitter regularly.

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Hahahahaha, as a young bloke Im getting a kick outa this. Twitter is for twits.
    Facebook has a personal touch, but for my money Flying Solo has it over all of them and you guys just havent seen the light.

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse…

..’cept for Santa’s helpers just helping Santa arrange some gifts into a department store style presentation…

A Very Happy Christmas to all Flyingsolo’ists :)

As for the ongoing debate re Twitter, FB and even Social Bookmarking too,

I’m thinking we really should be considering how much they all have become an important opportunity or problem in recent times, depending how your current perspective is…

and therein lies the rub…

Some of us are thinking “this Web 2.0 Social Stuff is just a fad” while at the other extreme others are already saying “this is nothing, have a look at what’s coming up next”…

Anyways…

if you have a business ‘identity’ then why not let it have it’s very own Twitter and FB and Youtube etc identity? Why not for next big thing too?

You can have a whole seperate identity for other areas of your business or personal life, if you like…

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    Aidan, post: 22083 wrote:
    Some of us are thinking “this Web 2.0 Social Stuff is just a fad”
    if you have a business ‘identity’ then why not let it have it’s very own Twitter and FB and Youtube etc identity? Why not for next big thing too?

Say what you like about Twitter. but ignore Facebook at your own peril.

Merry Christmas!

Kosta_Kondratenko
    • Total posts: 108
    Up

Ok I know I started this thread and I really feel special that I have created a monster. But I agree with MatthewKeath that Twitter is secondary but you have got to get on Facebook, I don’t know a single kid my age (22) who doesn’t have Facebook so if that age market is not important to you then don’t worry about it.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    KostaKondra, post: 22102 wrote:
    Ok I know I started this thread and I really feel special that I have created a monster. But I agree with MatthewKeath that Twitter is secondary but you have got to get on Facebook, I don’t know a single kid my age (22) who doesn’t have Facebook so if that age market is not important to you then don’t worry about it.

Most people my age are also on Facebook (33) – most people my Mothers age are also on Facebook – as Kosta said, if the 18 to 60+ demographics are not a concern, I wouldn’t bother with Facebook.

Kosta_Kondratenko
    • Total posts: 108
    Up

Yeah 300+ million members. But hey… there’s 5.7 billion people that AREN’T on Facebook right? Good luck.

teena22
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

Twitter and other social media applications is a fun way to connect with friends around the world. But sometimes people abuse it and do stupid stuffs on it. So I just think that you need to be extra careful on what you tweet, especially you do or make videos.

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.