Home Forums Tech talk Twitter is full of people talking about what they are eating for breakfast

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    WAHE, post: 80468 wrote:
    I know for a fact that If I were to tell my customers between meeting me on FS or Twitter, which medium they would take both my business and myself more seriously. I can’t see how Twitter offers your business a professional image in the general public. Sure all the other Twitters feel comfortable with it, but what image do you perceive in the general public if you ask them to meet you on Twitter?

Not sure what you mean by asking people to “meet on twitter”?

But one thing I do know is I’ve been a member of FS since the end of August last year. Since I launched my new website in January this year I’ve had 222 visits sent via FS… of which not a single one has resulted in an enquiry let alone a new client.

I joined twitter about a month later and have gained three clients from it, two of which are in the UK.

There is no way I would have gained the two UK clients any other way. Face to face meetings might be great if you have a locally-based business but it’s no good to me – my clients are spread far and wide and I certainly can’t be jetting off to the UK all the time to networking events!

Not only that I have connected with several other small businesses – here and in the UK and US – and formed friendships not to mention invaluable (and free!) advice on pretty much all aspects of small business ownership that I otherwise would not been aware of.

Am I defending twitter? No, I’m just stating what has worked for me.

As I have said already, twitter isn’t for everybody or every business so if you’re not interested then don’t bother. :)

SuzsSpace
    • Total posts: 692
    My apologies for defining “Human Element”. [/B]

My apologies for my flippant remark. My sense of humour does get me into trouble occasionally.

I know for a fact that If I were to tell my customers between meeting me on FS or Twitter, which medium they would take both my business and myself more seriously. I can’t see how Twitter offers your business a professional image in the general public. Sure all the other Twitters feel comfortable with it, but what image do you perceive in the general public if you ask them to meet you on Twitter?

Just the name does not sit right with me and I’m certain others feel the same way.

As I’ve said before, Twitter and Facebook are not one size fits all, just because they work successfully for one business does not mean they should work successfully for all businesses. It’s just like not all businesses can go online, some of them are really best off staying as bricks and mortar stores.

The brevity of twitter and the name are challenging.

Cesar
    • Total posts: 591

Sue, Bridiej and Liza, I’m just voicing my opinion with no disrespect intended. I’m the first to admit my words can come out the wrong way sometimes, since I was 4 actually.

For example, when I came out here from South America at the age of 4, I was asked by my parents how my first day at school was, mind you I did know a word of English, and my reply was, “The people at school are so stupid because they don’t know how to speak Spanish”, so you can imagine how my parents laughed. Till this day I’m still reminded about it.

Anyway, sleep well and have a great week…

mturner
    • Total posts: 25

You need to be VERY selective about who you follow on Twitter.
    I have a twitter account and I post daily SEO tips, and links to Internet marketign articles. A lot of people find that very useful, and of course that helps to give our Internet Marketing business a better reputation. True, it may not lead to many direct sales, but it is good PR.

It depends what you do – if you run a carwash I guess there’s only so much stuff you can say about washing cars – but with other businesses there is a lot of news, reviews and ideas.

I have to be honest and say though that when i go to Twitter and see a list of meaningless tweets it does put me off – but i am more interested in my followers – keeping them happy with quality tweets.!!

oh yeah – here’s our twitter page if anyone’s interested – http://twitter.com/#!/TheCityWebGuide

SuzsSpace
    WAHE, post: 80514 wrote:
    Sue, Bridiej and Liza, I’m just voicing my opinion with no disrespect intended. I’m the first to admit my words can come out the wrong way sometimes, since I was 4 actually.

For example, when I came out here from South America at the age of 4, I was asked by my parents how my first day at school was, mind you I did know a word of English, and my reply was, “The people at school are so stupid because they don’t know how to speak Spanish”, so you can imagine how my parents laughed. Till this day I’m still reminded about it.

Anyway, sleep well and have a great week…

I tend to forget to keep my tone light and friendly as I’m getting involved in the conversation, it’s why I’ll try to throw in silly comments only I often forget.

I’ll admit to being stupid, I can’t speak Spanish! I have two languages, English and Australian and neither of them are too good. I totally admire anyone who has more than one language.

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    WAHE, post: 80514 wrote:

No offence was taken, love a good healthy discussion :D

BeeCeeAudio
    • Total posts: 8

Twitter maybe not for those who have no time for playtime but to me it can be engaging because industry relevant and like minded people write about, and link me to, useful and interesting reading/research. It did take awhile for me to embrace, but it’s free and easy and I am now a fan and tweeterer. So, tweet tweet!

HammockFG
    • Total posts: 136
    My apologies for defining “Human Element”. What I meant is that I would rather be developing new customers the proven way on a “Face to Face” value which every type of business has the ability to do, rather than spend 2-3 hours a day sifting through the endless posts on Twitter.

That’s interesting. My personal preference for contact with a new company or business is to research it then contact electronically. I can understand your preference for face to face and you may even get a much higher success rate from this method, but you may also be losing out on customers who don’t work that way…like me! And I’m a BIIIIG spender! lol

SuzsSpace

Two groups of people who might be better to approach using social media are those who have trouble hearing and those who have trouble with people. If you’re a B2C business then those are two reasons you’d want to be on social media. Mobile phones and computers make it so much easier for people with hearing problems to connect with people.

When I was working at Social Security many years ago there were a couple of deaf people working there. One of them had charge of the TTY phone and I answered it with his machine on one occasion when he wasn’t there. Back then you could see TTY in so many different places, but I rarely see them advertised any more. People have gravitated to computers and texting or social media on mobile phones. The reason I’ve been so vocal on this thread is that I seriously believe it’s the way of the future.

@HeatherSmithAU
    • Total posts: 525

I am glad competitors are not taking up social media – leaves more opportunities there for me!

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963

Wow – what an interesting discussion.

WAHE, post: 79744 wrote:
    I would not “Hold my Breath” waiting for Twitter users to knock on my door needing my products or services.
    Personally, I went from being a huge social media sceptic, to quite a fan of it. Like Bridie, I’ve gained a number of new clients as a direct result of FB & Twitter – some who have been following my posts, others who have been referred by followers, and jobs advertised that I’ve responded to. I’ve even formed affiliations with some of my followers and we cross-refer work and useful information.

writeNOISE, post: 79795 wrote:
    With so many businesses tweeting, and posting FB and LinkedIn updates (much of which seems to merely be links to things they’ve found on the Net), how does an audience sift through it all to find what they’re looking for? Are they even, in fact, seeking that information?
    Most of these networks allow you to set up filters and parameters which make it easier to filter the info. When I make the decision to follow someone on Twitter, I add them to an appropriate list and can find (or ignore) them far more easily. You can also change the notification settings on most of these networks or you set up a junk filter on your email to automatically delete certain updates. It’s really not that difficult to streamline the information you want to find and discard the rest.

WAHE, post: 79817 wrote:
    In regards to doing business with clients overseas it is still possible to do business “face to face” virtually with conference or live video as two good examples.
    This is probably a great option for existing customers, but how do you make that initial connection? I have a client in Germany I would never have picked up if not for Twitter. Now we’ve made that connection, we can choose to maintain contact via Skype or similar.

yourvirtualboard, post: 80246 wrote:
    Some really interesting reading – one point to remember is that it’s SOCIAL Media – not BUSINESS Media and being social does include small talk and chit chat.

It does amuse me how many people have bemoaned automated, ‘spammy’, non-personal tweets/posts… but then also complain about people tweeting about ‘what they had for breakfast’. Um… that’s kind of how you make the personal connection! Most of the conversations I have include a bit of self-promotion, a bit of affiliate promotion, reposting things I think will be useful to my followers, and some general chit-chat to prove I’m a real person. It’s not always in equal parts, but it seems to be working for me.

Also like Bridie, even though I’ve had a number of queries through this forum, far less have converted than the queries I’ve had through social media.

Maybe I’m just not doing this right, or maybe the people actively choosing to follow me are more likely to be the people who will engage my services, rather than the random selection of people here. I don’t know… I can only tell you my experience to date.

WriterType
    • Total posts: 1

Twitter—UR DOIN IT RONG

If you use Twitter and all you read is what people are eating for breakfast then I’m afraid, as the LOLcats say, UR DOIN IT RONG.

The follower system means that you follow not who you know, but who you want to know. Facebook is for keeping in touch with people you know. LinkedIn is for finding and maintaining business connections. Twitter is for finding out what people are doing, in a context that you curate.

For my part, my personal Twitter feed consists of writers who tweet about the interesting books/blogs/articles they’ve read. I have a separate list I’ve curated that keeps an eye on media types, which helps me keep up to date with this field as part of my job.

I know at least four people who have won new work from Twitter referrals, which came about from someone tweeting for help. You just have to follow the right people and conduct the right search for trends that could assist your business.

And another thing: if you own a cafe, knowing what someone had for breakfast is information that could work for your business—with Twitter it’s all about finding the context that works for you.

Carbonite Australia
    • Total posts: 118

Aren’t I glad I started this thread. It is a very interesting topic and hopefully it may have given some the spark needed to try social media.

Truth is it can make a big difference to your business but it all comes down to effort and how involved you get. Much the same as face to face networking.

The number of responses to the thread shows that many people certainly have an opinion on social media and their business it also shows that many businesses just aren’t sure on how to use it and how to use it effectively (this I am afraid only comes with using it, not just reading forum posts about it).

Some have tried it and haven’t seen instant results and have stopped using it. As with most things marketing, you just have to keep trying and trying and trying until you find what works and what you are comfortable with.

In the long run you can’t ignore it, in some shape or form, social media conversations are going to continue to influence people.

Thanks for the great responses, keep them coming.

Cesar
    • Total posts: 591

I have been in business for 11 years and know for a fact that although social media might work for web-based services, it definitely would not be appropriate for other businesses where getting clientele requires face-to-face and the physical side of business. As I mentioned before, that is why we have business development managers.

I dislike the way it is marketed, as a “Magic Business Tool” that will bring an avalanche of new customers.

Twitter is not suited for every personality or business, but I still see Twitter more of an addiction rather than a useful tool. Let’s face it, there is an addiction to this type of media, hence why it is so popular. If you consider the amount of time being spent on this type of medium and the amount of customers you get in return, is it all worth it?

Probably from a social point of view “yes”, but from a business point of view “no”.

The Twitter users defend it, but seem to forget how many more customers they could be missing out on if they used the time they spend on Twitter more constructively. Even web-based services could make a business plan to visit and make appointments with local businesses who could use their services. I’ve been using this plan since starting my business and it is the most effective strategy to get new clients and would rather be using my time doing this than spending 2 hours a day on Twitter.

You say it is a social site, but sub-consciously everyone is there to sell something and that is where the problem lies.

Certainly, for my favourite site “The Oatmeal”, Twitter is an excellent social media tool as it is humour based. Take the “How Addicted to Twitter Are You” Quizz.

SuzsSpace

I’m not taking the quiz, I’m sure I know the answer and it ain’t pretty.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.