Home Forums Tech talk Twitter is full of people talking about what they are eating for breakfast

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Carbonite Australia, post: 82065 wrote:
    Aren’t I glad I started this thread. It is a very interesting topic and hopefully it may have given some the spark needed to try social media.

We’re glad you started it too Arthur. Thanks – it’s been very very interesting!

Love your work :)
    Jayne and the FS Crew

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097

You are 66% addicted to Twitter

Thought it would be higher than that… lol :D

And yes, I did tweet my results!

sixx
    • Total posts: 333
    bridiej, post: 82094 wrote:
    Thought it would be higher than that… lol :D

Yeah I’m not too sure how accurate it is. Hardly encouraging.

You have zero chance of any success with Twitter, your test results are so bad there hasn’t been a number yet invented low enough to give an accurate score and we are surprised you even had the brain power to complete this test. Perhaps consider staying away from social media altogether. On second thought consider staying off the net altogether.

Charming.

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    WAHE, post: 82068 wrote:
    The Twitter users defend it, but seem to forget how many more customers they could be missing out on if they used the time they spend on Twitter more constructively. Even web-based services could make a business plan to visit and make appointments with local businesses who could use their services. I’ve been using this plan since starting my business and it is the most effective strategy to get new clients and would rather be using my time doing this than spending 2 hours a day on Twitter.

You say it is a social site, but sub-consciously everyone is there to sell something and that is where the problem lies.

You seem to be assuming that those of us who effectively use Twitter (or other social media) don’t ALSO use “traditional” networking methods.

I attend a fortnightly breakfast meeting with a local business group and also help manage their social media and online marketing; 3 weeks after setting up their Twitter account, a local paper contacted us wanting to do an interview.. now you can’t tell me that’s not a Twitter success story! I also use their Twitter and Facebook page to promote every member connected to the group, then also encourage each member with social media to promote other members on their own channels, which means we generate a lot of coverage.

I take part in forums such as this, which is really an online networking community. Sure, it might not be face-to-face, but people are still talking and connecting. I’ve also been in touch with a number of local businesses who may be able to use my services with varying degrees of success.

But again, so far it seems my social media channels (Twitter and more recently Facebook) are generating the greatest number of LEADS THAT CONVERT!

I can only assume that’s because the people choosing to follow me on FB and Twitter are interested in the services I offer, whereas “traditional” face-to-face networking doesn’t guarantee a receptive audience… and if you don’t think everyone who attends those is trying to sell something, you’re kidding yourself!

Nor do I agree it’s only suited to web-based services. I had a discussion (face-to-face) with another member of my breakfast group who didn’t think social media would work for her business (she owns a number of local bakeries/cafes). She then proceeded to inform me how much time she wastes on the phone each morning with people wanting to know what her ‘soup of the day’ would be. She also bakes a different flavoured sourdough each day.

Now if she had a FB page linked to her Twitter account, she could logon, spend 1 minute updating her soup and sourdough for the day and save herself untold time she now spends on the phone answering these questions. She could also use those mediums to get feedback from her customers and promote new menus or other specials.

Again, it’s being smart about how you use it.

DavidThomas
    • Total posts: 265

I had bacon and eggs for breakfast – I don’t have twitter :)

HammockFG
    • Total posts: 136

I’ve recently watched a great podcast about social media for business, and the guy presenting it had a very important message.

To make it work well for a business, it’s not so much telling your customers what you had for breakfast…it’s more about asking them what they had or experiences etc to promote the discussions that will then lead to interest in your product/services.

And I guess the social aspect of social media allows this targeted marketing to appear friendly and chatty…

taxpert
    • Total posts: 56

Hi,

My aplogies if this has already been mentioned in the thread but I just wanted to recommend using TweetDeck and twitter lists to make the experience of using twitter much more manageable and enjoyable.

I follow back everybody who follows me as I have been told it is correct twitter etiquette. However, I was finding that 80% of the people who follow me tweet things that i wasn’t interested to read. Skimming through them was wasting my time and making it harder to find the quality tweets.

Once i switched to TweetDeck and created a list of people who i actually wanted to hear from things became much easier as it filtered out all the rest.

Cheers,

P.S. This is not a paid endorsement.

P.P.S. If you’d like to receive tweets about tax (and who wouldn’t?) feel free to follow me.

Cesar
    • Total posts: 591

Dear Arthur,

Thank you so much for not posting this thread on Twitter as I am the type of person who enjoys a lengthy and meaningful conversation, eg FS forum, and do not appreciate my sentences being cut-short.

I would hate to think how many Tweets would be required to compile this whole thread in its entirety on the Twitter platform.

lol…Only joking ladies…

So, we can conclude from this meaningful discussion that Twitter is not a medium that suits every type of personality and or business.

sixx
    • Total posts: 333
    WAHE, post: 82219 wrote:
    I would hate to think how many Tweets would be required to compile this whole thread in its entirety on the Twitter platform.

53,722/140
    383.72 [tweets]

Cesar
    sixx, post: 82223 wrote:
    53,722/140
    383.72 [tweets]

Get out of here…

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642

What an extremely interesting thread – on many levels.

People clearly want information about Twitter. Anecdotal stories are very useful but I did not notice any usage data in the posts. So, here are some articles with 2011 data:

Twitter Update 2011
    http://www.pewinternet.org/Reports/2011/Twitter-Update-2011/Main-Report.aspx
    BTW. Did you notice that “13% of online adults use Twitter, and half of Twitter users access the service on a cell phone”? That should be an extremely important piece of information. What does it mean to your business?

The Netherlands lead Global Markets in Twitter.com reach
    http://www.comscoredatamine.com/2011/02/the-netherlands-leads-global-markets-in-twitter-reach/

The online marketing world is growing more complex every day. Since the inception of the web, most time and money has been wasted. What we have now are more opportunities to waste time and money. Don’t be stampeded into decisions. Research and plan before you implement.

Make sure you ask yourself these questions:

Who do I want communicate with?
    Where are they?
    What do I want them to do?
    Where is my time and money spent most effectively?
    How much time and money do I intend to spend?
    How can I measure results?

And that’s just for starters.

Regs,
    JohnW

Cesar
    JohnW, post: 82405 wrote:
    Make sure you ask yourself these questions:

Who do I want communicate with?
    Where are they?
    What do I want them to do?
    Where is my time and money spent most effectively?
    How much time and money do I intend to spend?
    How can I measure results?

And that’s just for starters.

Regs,
    JohnW

John Buddy,

I’ve mentioned before that I always enjoy reading your posts as they are informative, well researched and certainly provide helpful support. I know I sometimes “Stir the Pot” somewhat, but that’s what makes the forum interesting and at the same time we all have a bit of a laugh along the way.

In saying that, I do possess a fair amount of knowledge in business and Internet strategies as I’ve done a bit of groundwork in these particular areas over the years.

As I respect your opinion, do you use Twitter and would you recommend it to your clientele? Please note, the only reason I dislike Twitter is because my personality and mind-set does not “Click” with that type of medium and it’s great to see some are having success with it.

It would be great to read your response…

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    WAHE, post: 82700 wrote:
    John Buddy,
    …do you use Twitter and would you recommend it to your clientele?
    Hi WAHE,
    In the oldern days, there was a marketing subject called “Characteristics of the Medium”. In those prehistoric times it related to press (newspapers), magazines, radio & TV. It was an assessment of what was important about each medium.

The funny thing is that the principles have not changed, only the scope of the media.

Now we have the Internet – but that can no longer be characterised as a single medium. We have email, web pages, web phone… and on it goes. It is being further sub-categorised by a wide range of applications like Twitter, Facebook, search engines, etc.

A long preamble but essential…

I don’t recommend any single “social media” service to every client and I don’t use Twitter myself but that does not mean I would not recommend Twitter to a client. It still goes back to the “characteristics of the medium” and as more research is released, it only confirms that these basic principles still apply.

A Twitter recommendation from me to a client therefore depends on many factors including:

Who the client wants to communicate with
    How much time they are prepared to spend on the medium
    How effective are their communication skills
    The importance of their communications to their tweet recipients.

If a client has a constant stream of very ephemeral messages with impact on a tight user group, Twitter may be the best medium of all – off or online. Eg: A recruitment company for a specific industry (a medical industry employment agency). If you implented Twitter well for that example, you may not need to spend any money on print ads or the numerous online job sites.

Does that answer your questions?

Regs,
    JohnW

JaneB
    • Total posts: 324

Thanks John W – that is really helpful.

Actually this whole thread has been helpful. Before I started reading I thought it was essential that I start up a twitter account and link it to my future website.

But now I’ve decided against it. When I really analysed everything the time involved is unlikely to translate into new business.

Cesar
    JohnW, post: 82706 wrote:
    Who the client wants to communicate with
    How much time they are prepared to spend on the medium
    How effective are their communication skills
    The importance of their communications to their tweet recipients.

If a client has a constant stream of very ephemeral messages with impact on a tight user group, Twitter may be the best medium of all – off or online. Eg: A recruitment company for a specific industry (a medical industry employment agency). If you implented Twitter well for that example, you may not need to spend any money on print ads or the numerous online job sites.

Thanks John,

This is the point I have been trying to get across, that this medium is not suited to every particular industry, business or individual. I still believe though, for the time required to maintain a Twitter account and the return business you might receive it’s not a wise investment. But, if you enjoy the social aspect of Twitter it can be beneficial if you like that type of interaction.

Your reference to employment agencies using Twitter as a way of posting Job vacancies is a valid point though. I can see how both the recruitment agencies and end-users could benefit from posting vacancies on a regular basis by using this platform.

BTW, thank goodness you don’t Tweet your lengthy posts on Twitter…lol…

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.