Home – New Forums Starting your journey Two Months In – Name Change?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    pac
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

So about two months ago I decided to change direction from Wedding and Fashion Photography and set up a pet photography business. I went with the name “Natural Pet Photography”, because my business philosophy is based around the concept of creating pet portraits that capture the animals in a natural, relaxed way.

Craig_Longmuir
    • Total posts: 556
    Up

i guess it depends on what branding you have already done such as business cards, website, flyers etc etc

you can do a e-mailout to current clients/contacts saying you have re-branded which is also a good excuse to drop a reminder of your services into their inboxes..

ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up

I quite like “Natural Pet Photography”.

The “Natural” is a great marketing word – and better if you can back it up!

“Natural Pet Photography” sounds solid and professional.

“Ragamuffin Pet Photography” sounds fluffy and fun.

The only real way to know would be to ask as many possible customers as possible and get their reaction and feedback.

Good luck :)

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

I actually like the name ‘Ragamuffin’ but I agree with Ray in asking some of your current customers what they think.

Ragamuffin Pet Photography
    for natural pet portraits

If you really feel strongly about it I would change the name sooner than later. All you have to do is register the new trading name – on new stationery letterheads and invoices you would have Caitlin Name trading as Ragamuffin Pet Photography and Natural Pet Photography ABN …. in small type.

If you have a website – register the new domain and move the existing site to it. Then have the old domain name pointing at the new one until it runs out. By then the new name will have become established.

Pinnacle TMS
    • Total posts: 76
    Up
    NaturalPetPhotography, post: 69446 wrote:
    So about two months ago I decided to change direction from Wedding and Fashion Photography and set up a pet photography business. I went with the name “Natural Pet Photography”, because my business philosophy is based around the concept of creating pet portraits that capture the animals in a natural, relaxed way.

BUT I’ve been having another hard think (two months too late), and am now worried that the name Natural Pet Photography is far too generic and unmemorable…

I’m leaning towards “Ragamuffin Pet Photography” – I prefer it, but am just kicking myself for not having thought all this earlier! Would love to hear opinions on both the name “Ragamuffin” and also on how you go about informing existing clients about the name change. I don’t want to lose the contacts I’ve already made :/

Thanks in advance! I really appreciate any advice,

Caitlin

Hi Caitlin – I also agree to use some of your existing clients as a sounding board but really its you and your service that they will return to. I like the Ragamuffin Pet Photography brand name better – more distinctive and fun. You should also consider trade marking that brand so that you have exclusive rights to it and can stop competitors from copying it! Happy to discuss further if you like.
    Cheers,
    Suzanne

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi Caitlin,

To echo Karen’s earlier suggestion, I think something that captures the ‘descriptive’ term with a new distinctive brand is a good idea, e.g. her suggestion of (or something similar).

Ragamuffin Pet Photography
    for natural pet portraits

Also echoing Suzanne’s comments, that trademark registration should be considered for the brand you ultimately decide upon – to further this comment, a trademark will have more difficulty in registering smoothly if it is too descriptive/generic, as other traders are likely to need to use the same (or closely similar term) during the normal course of their business. I had a quick internet search and see that you actually use your name in a logo form, which in itself is more distinctive than the name “Natural Pet Photography” on its own.

In changing the name, you might consider keeping the same graphic/logo component with the new name, which will could help in rebranding that needs doing, as well as conveying the new name to your clients. Some customers will no doubt already have your full logo impressed in their memories and keeping that imagery will let them see you are still the same business, just a new name.

In terms of the Ragamuffin name, I like it too. Whilst it may be a little more ‘fluffy and fun’, I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing when you are working with pets. Keeping the tagline of “for natural pet photography” or similar will allow you to still play on the strengths of the word Natural.

In informing clients, I would imagine you could to an email or mail out to those you have in your contacts already and just basically let them know of the change; you can be honest about it whilst marketing yourself – could be simply said that after working with pets over the past few months you have come to realise that most are ‘adorable ragamuffins’ (or similar) and the name just seemed to fit – same great service and quality, simply a different name. I don’t think too many people will take exception to the name change when you tell them. – You could also make a note on your website if/when you do change that confirms its the same person, service and quality etc so no-one thinks your business has disappeared and be replaced by a new one.

Look forward to following this thread and seeing what name you end up with! All the best.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.