Home – New Forums Other discussions Two negatives of working from home.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    mediaman
    Participant
    • Total posts: 148
    Up
    ::

Perhaps I am just having a whinge.

I love working from home and the freedom it allows. But there are two things that I have noticed more lately about working from home:

1) When times are tough financially and the work is slow, you tend to spend a lot more time in the home office and away from your family in an attempt to keep your head above water. If you worked in an office somewhere else for someone else for a “wage”, this would not be an issue.

2) You are called on to do family stuff when you are trying to work.

Yes, yes, I know a lot of you would love to be in a position where you get to spend time with the kids throughout the day, but working from home also means that after working hours, you get plenty of time to spend with the kids. ie: dinner, bath time, story time, bed time. As much as I love my kids, I hate it when working hours get interrupted by family stuff, especially because I am often working on creating media productions, which require a lot of focus.

There. Got it off my chest.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Um, babysitter? I am assuming they are your kids, not the neighbours?

if it’s really a issue talk to your partner / wife about it.

When business is slow, yes you spend more time working trying to keep your head above water, but that is something managers and owners of businesses that employ people do all the time.

mediaman
    Participant
    Up

Sometimes I am asked to look after our youngest when my wife goes to pick up the other kids from school and sometimes that equates to over an hour. Not so bad if baby is asleep, but if not, I have to take my mind off my work and focus on looking after baby. Hard when deadlines are tight.

Sorry, the main point was that these are difficulties when running a business from home.

jamee88
    • Total posts: 18
    Up

Its all about maintaining a balance between your work and your family. Nowadays there is so much work to do and such less time, be it working from home, or for someone so be assured its not because you are working from home taht’s why you are facing such difficulty. It is essential that you should keep you office room completely separate from your whole house to minimize distractions. secondly, you must know “when to stop working”. If you overwork yourself just because business is slow, you will start geting things done yes, but there shall be errors in them. You must take breaks, dont take separate breaks, you can take a single break when your wife has to go out to run errands and you got to keep an eye on the kids so that double time is not wasted. And as you help her in taking care of the kids, she could also help you inyour business, you could involve her as well:) these are a few small tips. hope they help:)

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

I only have one child, but I can totally understand where you’re coming from. I moved my business out of home at the start of the year, and I now spend much more quality time with my daughter than I used to when I was in the house all day. Plus, she’s happy to see me when I get home – and my wife gets by without me being conveniently there all the time.

If you have a compassionate bone in your body and/or you value your life, it’s not easy to explain to the woman who looks after 4 children 24 hours a day, that it’s a burden to look after one for an hour. But it really zaps your energy and motivation and can kill your productivity.

Is moving into a small office an option? It’s one of the best things I ever did.

mediaman
    Participant
    Up

Thanks guys,

I didn’t mean to sound ungrateful at all (I’m by no means ungrateful), it is just that by the time the afternoon comes, I am really in the full-swing of the work momentum and then BANG! I have to stop and think from the other end of the scale for an hour or so and then get back into it again until 5.30pm when all hell breaks loose with the kids! :-) We call it “witching hour” which actually goes on until about 10pm some nights!!

Breevree73
    • Total posts: 112
    Up

It seems like your wife doesn’t quite get that you are ‘at work’. Perhaps remind her that although you are in a chair inside your house, you are actually ‘at work’ and not really accessible…???
    The other alternative is to draw the babysitting into your schedule – you get a good solid hour of one-on-one time with the bubby :) And if you know its going to happen, the interruption won’t be unpleasant. It’ll be like scheduling time to check your emails :D

ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up

OR

Schedule in the 1 hour a day school pickup and make up for it at some other time of the day/week (that’s the beauty of being your own boss).
    You will come to love that 1 hour a day!
    You can’t get that back in 10 years time.

Good luck.

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

think of these “interruptions” as an appointment with your family. after all, aren’t you in business to have more time with family and be there for them?

the same kind of interruption happens in the office. think of it is an opportunity to “regroup”. very easy to get lost “in” your business.

SmartBizBlog
    • Total posts: 101
    Up
    ray_223, post: 120750 wrote:
    OR

Schedule in the 1 hour a day school pickup and make up for it at some other time of the day/week (that’s the beauty of being your own boss).
    You will come to love that 1 hour a day!
    You can’t get that back in 10 years time.

Good luck.

This is exactly what I was thinking. If it’s consistent, then why is it still an issue? Just have your tea break then and enjoy your daughter/son for that hour – then get back to work.

Fabulousscents
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

I find the biggest problem I have is that I live in a town where they are majority shift workers. They then assume I am available ANYTIME. It means I am literally on call 7 days a week. Recently in an attempt to stop becoming what we call “Fabbed Out” I now turn my phone off on Sundays.
    I have clear business times on my facebook page and I am very clear advising my customers what my hours are but they still seem to contact me late at night or even as early as 5 am. I also have very clear “work” days where I pour my product but they will still arrive on my doorstep.
    I accept it though as it is part of being a home based business. I adore all my customers and try to give them as much Fabulous Love as I can but there were times were I could have happily given it all up.
    So I am now very firm and have stopped stressing about ignoring messages after a reasonable time and so far it seems to be making things a little easier.

Thanks for reading!:)

AngelaGirl
    • Total posts: 330
    Up

Come on MediaMan, it’s not babysitting when it’s your own kids, it’s called parenting :)

If you are most productive in the afternoon, perhaps you can negotiate a trade with your wife.. you get the kids ready for school in the morning and do the morning drop off with bub and she takes bub with her for the afternoon pick up… I’m sure she’ll jump at the chance of having some time to do some things sans kids and you’ll have uninterrupted, productive afternoons. Yes, I realise it doesn’t appear to be a fair trade, but trust me, you’ll earn HUGE brownie points for it! ;) If it’s too much, just negotiate to take on a little more responsibility at a convenient time of the day for you, in place of the afternoon.

Good luck
    Angela

ps. can totally relate to witching hour, also known as arsenic hour in our house!

Geronimo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 237
    Up

Have you considered offering to do the pickup? That way you get a change of scenery, and a forced break.

While I don’t do it all the time, when work is hectic, I will often walk the kids to school in the morning, and pick them up in the afternoon too. It’s a good way to force two lots of 20 min’s of being out of the house.

jamee88
    • Total posts: 18
    Up

You should consider sitting down with your wife and setting a timetable for more organized office work and family time. Keep flexibility for changes and plan on how you will cope with and makeup for extra time you put somewhere else:)

mediaman
    Participant
    Up

Thanks Angela,

When you’re working against the clock for a client and the interruptions happen, it sure feels like babysitting!

That said, we have had another disussion about it and it does seem to be improving, with more consideration for my workload being given before being asked to watch the kids.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.