Home – New Forums Other discussions Understand the tools you are using

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    ::

Sounds simple, but do you understand them. And in particular when they interface to the client, who may be able to see MORE than you think.

A lot of business’s are now forcing you to not be able to talk to them (a thing I don’t personally understand), but that’s the new fashioned way to do things (On trend I believe is the word).

Anyhow why am I saying this, oh that’s right, one business I have being dealing with ONLY will talk to the client via Facebook messaging, normally I don’t bother, but I really wanted this product for my store. Anyhow we have been chatting backwards and forwards for a couple of weeks, a broken chat because I would send a message than anything up to a day later I would get a response (Are you frustrated yet ?, I was). But anyhow I persisted, even though I would notice on Facebook that they had read the message within half an hour (Know your technology).

Long story short, eventually I cracked it and said why does it take so long to reply, ”ohh I only get online once a day” (ok that’s bad for business, bad excuse anyhow).

My next question (or observation), but you read my message within half an hour. Now you could just see the quiver in the keyboard, just like if they were in front of you and got caught out. Anyhow they came clean and said they were reading them but because of other commitments didn’t follow up.

A couple of lessons:-

• Know your technology, we can see more than you think
    • If you are going to bend the truth (we all do at times, I have), know your technology first.
    • Just send a quick, sorry I will answer tonight at XYZ.

The final outcome, they lost a $5000 order. Oh and I need to look for another supplier, lucky its raining.

Productivity Hub
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

A great lesson – technology tells us a lot more than most people think (as long as you know where to look!)

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Awesome post, send me on on product and I’ll make it to get your $5k – I also promise I will answer your calls, your emails, your telepathic messaging service of choice and others :)

Lesson here is a good old fashioned one of removing as many barriers as possible from potential customers – and communications is certainly one of those at the very top that should take priority!

Cheers
    Jason

Ps.. Am awaiting that order :p

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    arrowwise
    • Total posts: 641
    Up

These third party layers are best for the initial connection, after that the old fashioned lines of communication are always the way to go. Getting alerts to login to then reply is totally counter productive for deeper discussions.

bb1
    Participant
    Up
    LucasArthur, post: 235734, member: 34537 wrote:
    Awesome post, send me on on product and I’ll make it to get your $5k – I also promise I will answer your calls, your emails, your telepathic messaging service of choice and others :)

Lesson here is a good old fashioned one of removing as many barriers as possible from potential customers – and communications is certainly one of those at the very top that should take priority!

Cheers
    Jason

Ps.. Am awaiting that order :p

Hey Jason,
    It’s really frustrating at times, I think a lot of small business (no make that all business), have forgotten the basic aim of being in business.

We think it is to provide a service to our clients, anyone who says that is kidding themselves. At the end of the day it is to move the money out of the clients bank account into our bank account. Sure that’s by providing a service, but that is a by product of the ultimate aim.

And if the client cant talk to you, their money isn’t going to reach your bank account.

tried calling but your secretary said you were on a long lunch :):rolleyes:o_O

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up
    bb1, post: 235739, member: 53375 wrote:
    tried calling but your secretary said you were on a long lunch :):rolleyes:o_O

Firstly, she is affectionately referred to as ‘the gate keeper’ and is good at her job ;)

Secondly, lunch is still going and likely to be for a while.. So long that if you wanna drive up I am sure to still be on it – so I’ve reserved a seat here for you! Then we can chat face to face :)

Cheerio
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    MikeDav
    • Total posts: 163
    Up

The fact that they are using Facebook as their main interface with customers is amazing in itself. To not bother responding to a customer when the customer knows that you have read the message is extremely poor.

Practicing good and courteous customer service can take you a long way in business.

roxanne40
    • Total posts: 82
    Up

Our business is completely the opposite, I knew we were missing many calls a day, so I have a virtual receptionist who takes our calls. They take a message if our phone is busy ( we are one the phone to another customer), emails it to me straight away and I call that customer back asap. We never miss an inquiry.

Customers are blown away by our fantastic prompt service, but then we are the older generation who understand this!

bb1
    Participant
    Up
    roxanne40, post: 235769, member: 77047 wrote:
    Our business is completely the opposite, I knew we were missing many calls a day, so I have a virtual receptionist who takes our calls. They take a message if our phone is busy ( we are one the phone to another customer), emails it to me straight away and I call that customer back asap. We never miss an inquiry.

I know this may sound like a silly question but have you ever done a mystery shopper test on your VA, I know I have for a competitor (/friend) once, and we actually found he was missing enquiries, although he didn’t think he was either.

We should always check any tool we are using in our business, and a VA is just another tool (if you know what I mean, meant in a nice way).

rounded
    • Total posts: 41
    Up

Great thread, Bert. A lot of my day is spent speaking to our users over phone, email, Facebook, Twitter and our in app chat. You do really have to pay attention to which channel you’re communicating on and the transparency that comes with it.

On your experience with FB chat, I can’t see why anyone would let a potential customer wait over 24 hours for a simple chat response. I get anxious when I take longer than an hour to respond.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up
    rounded, post: 235999, member: 73407 wrote:
    Great thread, Bert. A lot of my day is spent speaking to our users over phone, email, Facebook, Twitter and our in app chat. You do really have to pay attention to which channel you’re communicating on and the transparency that comes with it.

On your experience with FB chat, I can’t see why anyone would let a potential customer wait over 24 hours for a simple chat response. I get anxious when I take longer than an hour to respond.
    I am with you rounded, 1 hour is a long time for mew. I try to make it less than 5 minutes if I can.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up
    Paul – FS Concierge, post: 236010, member: 78928 wrote:
    I am with you rounded, 1 hour is a long time for mew. I try to make it less than 5 minutes if I can.
    Sounds like all us ‘soloists’ value quick turn around, or is that just us conscientious ones on the forum ;)

Personally, for mew (lol), I also like to respond ASAP and is generally within an hour or closer to Pauls 5 minutes normally.

From my observations and in my industries, if I reply within a short time I am getting people still in front of a computer and still in the frame of mind to buy. If I reply it shows I am real, I am there and I am willing to help – removing barriers to an online purchase (or potential)

Cheers
    J

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

This post has now been quiet for a couple of day so I thought I’d ask a question not completely relevant to the original point, but one that I do find has some relevance.

Two comments from above:-

“I get anxious when I take longer than an hour to respond.”
    “I try to make it less than 5 minutes if I can.”

I fully appreciate we live in a world now where customers expect an answer even before the question was asked, but I wonder:-

1. How much dropping everything to reply to a request immediately actually contributes to that expectation (my experience is that if you reply within an hour, the expectation next time is a reply within 30 minutes because the question is always urgent) and

2.Is productiviry being affected

Something that is maybe worth a read:-

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/278424?_lrsc=91ab45fa-b7f5-4929-b68e-8bf4f4b2afbf&soc=linkedinelevate

Which then of course begs the question – What is a realistic timeframe to respond?

bb1
    Participant
    Up
    Johny, post: 236198, member: 34822 wrote:
    1. How much dropping everything to reply to a request immediately actually contributes to that expectation (my experience is that if you reply within an hour, the expectation next time is a reply within 30 minutes because the question is always urgent) and

Johny, as usual interesting questions on your part.

Just an observation I make when I am in a shop or other places, and you are been served by someone and the phone rings, the first thing is to put me on the side and answer the phone. Wasn’t I there first, and as such shouldn’t you finish serving me first. I have walked out, if another customer walked in the door after me, they would finish serving me first, so why did the phone deserve more attention.

Personally I think the idea that I have to ring back in X seconds after a message is received, is unrealistic, and what benefit do you gain.

Having said that in the last 10 years I have missed out on one job, because I rang them back 5 hours later, but they were ringing around hunting as they needed someone that day, so I didn’t want the job anyhow. So ok, I missed 1 job in 10 years.

Yes the 5 minute, or 1 hour thing is an impact on productivity, and most reasonable clients don’t expect it. And if they do, than what other unreasonable demands will they put on you. Do you want those clients – No I say.

Just my opinion, and it relates to another of my posts previously, The customer is not always right.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up
    Johny, post: 236198, member: 34822 wrote:
    This post has now been quiet for a couple of day so I thought I’d ask a question not completely relevant to the original point, but one that I do find has some relevance.

Two comments from above:-

“I get anxious when I take longer than an hour to respond.”
    “I try to make it less than 5 minutes if I can.”

I fully appreciate we live in a world now where customers expect an answer even before the question was asked, but I wonder:-

2.Is productiviry being affected

Something that is maybe worth a read:-

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/278424?_lrsc=91ab45fa-b7f5-4929-b68e-8bf4f4b2afbf&soc=linkedinelevate

Which then of course begs the question – What is a realistic timeframe to respond?
    Hi Johny,

I think of my own experiences. The vast majority of my leads come through my website. In my own experience, if I am primed and ready to buy, I really dislike it when I call a number at a reasonable time and the phone is not picked up.

As a business owner, I want to make each step of the buying process as easy as possible and aim to put zero potential roadblocks in the way.

I have picked up a fair amount of anecdotal evidence by now that points to,at my local business level, many people choose my service because I answer the call, zip over to quote, send the custom proposal all on the same day. In the meantime, some or all of my competitors have not even arranged the quote yet.

For me, it is a type of compact I have with my clients – that they can expect exceptional customer service. And it is a lever for growth, not a productivity killer.

So I can understand BB1’s point of view but I could never adopt it for me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.