Home – New Forums Other discussions Unhealthy ‘customer’ queries

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    ::

Hi Everyone,

Just a little odd post, and i apologise in advance, although how do you tackle phone calls or queries in your business of people that are potentially wanting to compete in your business space?

An example: we just received a call from someone we have interacted with previously who wants our guidance/assistance in supplying a product we have access to in order for them to bring in a potentially competitive product to one of ours.. They initially started by ‘interviewing us’ and acting like a customer before opening up to what they are trying to achieve.

Have you been down this path? we know business is business and there is potentially a buck in it for us, although we feel a little funny providing a product of ours which may ultimately sacrifice our own product.

One of our concerns, along with it being a competitive product, is that they are also wanting to ‘draw’ on our knowledge of the import process and all things associated with the paths we have traveled alone to get started… Which is, of course, the path that is the most difficult and can sometimes be the difference between success and failure.

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated.

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Chris Finnegan
    • Total posts: 85
    Up

Hi Jason,

Networking and collaborating with other businesses in the same industry is a great way to grow your business. There are several other “web companies” I regularly talk with, sharing ideas, processes, tips etc.

If this business you’ve mentioned made contact by pretending to be a customer, (lying!) there is no way I would trust them to share & collaborate.

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

I feel your pain – it has happened to me also. Then they go out in opposition to you.

When someone is ‘drawing on your knowledge’ unfairly or misrepresents themselves, I was told that you should package your knowledge into something saleable. And then tell anyone who needs to know that you have a product/eBook whatever for sale if they wish to buy your knowledge. But you may not wish to give anything away at this point. And that’s ok.

It’s a really hard situation.
    It is entirely different to networking with others in your industry to trade experiences, contacts etc. which is based on mutual trust. Being able to pass on work to a colleague who may be better at that skill than yourself is great, and vice-versa.

I had so many enquiries from students and others starting out that I ended up making a sub website and directing email or other enquiries to those pages. They are just a starting point and help the enquirers to know where to search for their own knowledge.

Cheers.

Cjay
    • Total posts: 183
    Up

Try to gain an exclusive regional distributor agreement with manufacturer, then wholesale onto competition. Make the competitions win your win. :)

If that’s not possible, if legal, sell at wholesale + price to them. If there margins are still cheaper than yours you must be doing something wrong then.

Also, I don’t blame them. I’m guilty of looking over your stock a number of times. Contemplating doing a fit-out for the office, always been a fan of the 50’s-60’s look. A big Mad Men escapist fantasy.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.