Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Unique Problem

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up
    ::

They say the window of opportunity for a sales pitch is about 25 seconds.

Imagine this scenario.
    You have a product/service which is unique so during the sales process you need to educate the potential customer as well as generate the interest. Im sure some of you are faced with a simlar chellenge of telling a potential client they need something even though they dont know it themselves at that point. Ive been mulling over this for about 2 years and still battle with misconcieved assumptions when approaching potential customers.

Can anyone give some suggestions I’d love you for life :)

Steve

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Steve,

Apologies that your post was held up in our moderation queue… we seem to be having a problem with that today I’m sorry. (Have asked the techs to try to get to the bottom of it). 😮

This is an interesting challenge you’ve posed, and I’m sure the peeps will have some ideas for you. To kick things off, perhaps you’d like to take us through the way you handle this scenario now?

I’ll be interested to hear what everyone has to suggest. :)

Jayne

spinninghill
    • Total posts: 345
    Up

Hi Steve. Recently a friend of mine who was a partner in a medium sized accounting firm taught me about a fellow called Simon Sinek. He has a theory called the Golden Circle. Check out link if keen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVnN4S52F3k

In short though, he says most of us start by tellig people “What” we do. We then tell them “How”.. and then finally we get to “Why” they need whatever product / service we have.

His theory suggests we should be 180 degrees from this. We should in fact go in the following order:

Why, then How, then What.

Anyway, check out the video link and see if it sounds like it applies to your business.

I am still coming to grips with how and if this theory applies to me ;)

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Further to the above post mentioning Simon Sinek – I went to a seminar of his and have the book. His website is http://www.startwithwhy.com which is about attracting people/customers with the same passions as you – the WHY you are in business.

Don’t know if this helps, but somehow, you have to show ‘what’s in it for them as a solution’. I was watching one of the repeat business Dragon’s Den programs recently, and so many people try to explain why there is a need for something instead of getting to the solution and creating interest. The Dragons just lose interest. It might be helpful to watch some of those programs to see what you should NOT do, in order to help you clarify what you could do. (on ABC TV, Australia). Probably can find on YouTube also.

Divert To Mobile
    Up
    FS Concierge, post: 120802 wrote:
    Hi Steve,

This is an interesting challenge you’ve posed, and I’m sure the peeps will have some ideas for you. To kick things off, perhaps you’d like to take us through the way you handle this scenario now?

I’ll be interested to hear what everyone has to suggest. :)

Jayne

I kicked off at a trade show at darling harbour. airconditioning and building services. The respondents were not the target audience.
    Then brochures at tradesmen wholesalers, plumbers supplies, electrical wholesalers etc.
    Also jumping out of the car at traffic lights and handing brochures to any person advertising a mobile phone on their vehicle.
    Then came the realisation that no one was getting the concept. So an overhaul of the branding and renaming the product to describe what the service primarily does – this has helped a lot.
    Then an analysis of curent client base and direct marketing campaign by addressed mail to that market segment in the Sydney area as well as test groups in other business demographics also in the sydney area. Then came the realisation that nearly 50% of the businesses listed in the yellow pages are actually out of business. (return to sender – not at this address) still effective but not cost effective.
    Paid Facebook advertising campaign – innefective.
    Surprisingly the most effective advertising so far has been the signwriting on my car. Bonus is it motivates me to keep it clean :)
    Still I find when speaking to people one on one a lot of resistance to listening to anything. I get a lot of …
    1. “I have a second phone I carry around”
    2. “I have enough customers Im not looking for more”
    3. “My customers want to talk to the business owner”
    4. “I turn my phone off at night”
    5. “I dont want to pay for customers to call me”
    6. “Lots of businesses run from completely from their mobile”
    7. “Thats expensive – 15c per min will sure add up”

and I find that trying to explain…
    1. A second number is in fact more cost effective and more convenient than a second phone
    2. Nothing to answer to that, theyre obviously lying
    3. The only people wanting to talk to the business owner are telemarketers, customer complaints, and people not wanting to pay full rate.
    4. Thats only incoveniencing you
    5. You should be able to amortise 15c -45c into your sale
    6. That doesnt mean its right.
    7. The more calls you recieve the more your making

well disagreeing with thier excuses has never turned anyone around, theyre either interested or theyre not. The first 1 or 2 sentences is everything.

Steve

Divert To Mobile
    Up

Hi spinninghill and KarenC

I like Simon Sineks concept, Interstingly with the paid facebook advertising I observed a significant difference between the differently worded adds.
    The first add was focusing on the what.
    the second add was the same as my signature, it is kind of getting to the why but not quite there yet I feel.

BTW, spinninghill.

Looking at your website I think that focusing on the “why” for you would go something along the lines of
    “need players for your club or team? search by postcode and find people who are interested”
    or something along those lines.

Steve

NathanB
    Participant
    • Total posts: 775
    Up

Try the “Gadie” Pitch… Should take you 30-60 seconds.

You know how…
    Well what we do…
    In fact…

Here is an example:

You know how small businesses and start ups often don’t have a great deal of money to spend on marketing?

Well what we do is work with these businesses and create very affordable promotion strategies that can be scaled easily as they grow.

In fact, some of our clients have turned from sole trader business’ to SME’s with 5-10 employees using our strategies.

Pencil down a few ideas you might be able to use to make this pitch work. Let us know what you come up with.

NathanB
    Participant
    • Total posts: 775
    Up

I would imagine yours could go something like this;

You know how SME’s and sole traders often run their entire business out of their mobile phone and it almost always ends up getting ugly?

Well what we do is take all the stress out of only having one phone number while still giving the business owner the power to run everything from their mobile.

In fact, having an extra land line phone number gives businesses more credibility and our service is 80% cheaper than actually setting up another line.

SmartBizBlog
    • Total posts: 101
    Up

I learned this from my early mentor – a senior corporate financer for a very large private equity firm. He would say to me: “Fools speak twice as much as they listen”.

Every lead he had ever created, or deal he has ever closed is because he listens to everything – he contemplates before he responds, and he never speaks just to be heard. It’s hard for most people – it took me a long time to really get it – sometimes I would come across as smug, or rude or disinterested – but after a while, you can forget 25 seconds – that’s their attention span for hearing YOU speak. Get them speaking and they’ll talk for 5 minutes about almost anything you want; as long as they are in your target market.

You’re a marketer – you ask them what difficulties they are having with marketing their business – you offer no solution. You ask them what they’ve done to try and get better results – you offer no solution. You elicit every piece of information you can from them. You at that point understand their need – you work with that and the sale is almost guaranteed as long as they aren’t a tire kicker.

I’m not a salesman – never have been, never will be; but I’ve earned more money for the companies I’ve worked for than the sales teams because I listened, built trust and then delivered what they customer wanted.

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

Also, make sure you drill down the WIIFM – not everyone wants a bigger business, so if that is the angle you are targeting, you might be turning people off straight away. Think of your average self employed tradie – They work for themselves for the freedom and flexibility. They are not necessarily interested in becoming the next multi-chain franchise.

What else is in it for them? Also, dealing with objections should be about addressing their concerns, and perhaps trying to convey a different perspective.

If they say they already have enough customers – ‘That’s great that you are not having to chase more business, but wouldn’t it be great if your customers were able to call you at a local rate, and feel that you care about their costs too?’

That is just an example, but objections are never overcome by 1. Avoidance 2.Disagreeing

Good luck though, I personally think what you are offering is a fantastic service.

Have you thought about PO Box drops – yes you would get a fair bit of wasteage hitting the bigger companies with PO Boxes, but for plumbers, electricians who have a PO Box to avoid giving out there home address, there could be a good marketing message about ‘ You already have a PO Box, now get the phone number to match’ or something

Divert To Mobile
    Up

Agent, Nathan, Smart.

Wise words, and thank you.
    Good points, I used to know a tradesman who would tick over a certain earning per day and say, “nice sale, Ive made the rent I can go home now”.
    He was never interested in the angle that I approach from.

I didnt know you could drop into PO boxes, do you ask the people behind the counter to put them in?

Listening.. I totally agree I absolutely have to focus on that and curb my own teenage style wham bam sales technique. In the past I havent reallylistend and then answered with what I interpreted as hearing. That takes a lot of work.

I like your examples nathan, Ive tried the “you know how..” but again from different angles.

What Im learning hear is not to dismiss a technique because it has failed 2 4 or 10 times unless Ive actually mastered it to prove it is innefective. Also with this feedback Ive realised that even though I believe the product is excellent not everyone is goign to actually care about the benefits as they will weigh in differently to each person.

ps thanks for the compliment

Steve

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up
    Divert To Mobile, post: 120697 wrote:
    They say the window of opportunity for a sales pitch is about 25 seconds.

They say a lot of things.

At the end of the day, what they say and what’s the reality for your business can often be two very different things. Don’t get too caught up on what someone wrote in a book.

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

I didnt know you could drop into PO boxes, do you ask the people behind the counter to put them in?

You employ someone like AgentMail to look after it for you :)
    Check out their website – http://agentmail.com.au/ totally affordable given they do essentially all of the work for you – freeing up your time for other things… Or, you used to be able to get AustraliaPost to do deliveries based on Postcode and the like in bulk mailing – not sure if you still can.

SavvySME
    • Total posts: 201
    Up

By the way just want to say, if you like Dragons Den you’d like Shark Tank – it’s the American version and I think much more dramatic and trashy/exciting than Dragons Den – but hey you need that someones :) It’s still educational!

You learn a whole lot about legal and financial considerations from these shows.

Back to topic, yes really understanding helps and with dealing with a lot of small businesses, sometimes they just want someone to share their problems with. It’s sometimes isolating working in a micro-business or small business so when you have someone to really listen to your issues, it’s refreshing and you want to give them your business. Of course you need opportunities to prove your expertise, but do so in a relevant way to them. That means you need to understand them before you speak. Very wise words :)!

If you have a hard time explaining your product it may also be because you are trying to do everything. Having a specific skill and niche is a lot easier to communicate than trying to do everything. Look at the contrast:

1. We help you with your social media marketing and help you get on Facebook, twitter and other social networks to increase your customer base.

2. We will help you get more fans on Facebook.

The 2nd option is much more targeted, and you may lose people that may want to go on twitter, but you can always add on services after they give you a chance to talk to them :)

Thanks for reading,

Wendy

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

Thanks Jacqui :)

You can also find more info directly from Australia Post, though you have to be registered to use the service, which is why people use us to take the hassle out of it :)

http://auspost.com.au/business/unaddressed-mail.html

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.