Home – New Forums Starting your journey Unit renting and home office/workshop set up?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Major
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    ::

Urgent help needed.
    My wife and I have just been granted application for new place to live.
    Idea was to find something with 2 bedrooms and garage (for my after hours bicycle repair workshop and after while, possible engineering drafting services).
    Idea is not to have “open door” policy, but to do few repairs now and then and by appointment only (no power tools or any other loud noises, or many future clients coming and going).
    I won’t be deducting space/internet/electricity on my tax application either!
    QUESTION:
    Do we have to put that in to the contract before signing off and talk to the agency and ask for their/landlord approval (in legal terms), or it’s usually fine to mention that once I start up the “business”?

Quick answers would be from great help as we have to sign off contract in next two days.

Regards,

Vedran

Tersus
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

I’d check if it’s a unit.

If it’s a unit there might be a clause in their contract with the tenancy board about conducting business on the property

Is the unit/house located in a secure complex?

If it’s a stand alone house, I would say no, you would not need to check as you are not disrupting people in a very close proximity.

A block of units is different compared to a house as it’s run by a building management/unit board members and other people live on the same property.

Best thing is to check when in doubt as we don’t know the building policies or contractual agreements.

Hatching_It
    • Total posts: 414
    Up

I run my businesses out of my 2 bedroom unit.

Whilst I didn’t specifically discuss it with the real estate agent I actually used it as part of our tenancy application (responsibility, high level of income etc).

They had no issues with it.

Ask the real estate agent if you can look through the contract before you go in and sign it. If it doesn’t mention anything about business then I wouldn’t worry.

Actually, surely this would only be a hobby rather than a fully fledged business? Would it even count?

Maclean

PS: Claim as much as you can back on tax, you’re crazy not to!!

Major
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

Hi guys,

thank you for your replies. Can someone explain what this should mean? I’ve got this from an agent:

“Unfortunately the property is under ‘residential zoning’ and you are unable to register an ABN and this property.

You would need to register the ABN at a PO BOX which you can organise with the Post Office.”

I could get PO Box (although i am not sure about cost of it), but she didn’t clarify is it OK to have those kind of activities in that house/unit or not…
    And I don’t see a reason not to be able to register an ABN just because it’s residential area. It’s not that I will be registering a factory or big workshop or similar. I mean, half of ABN couldn’t be registered then… :confused:

Cheers,

Vedran

EDIT:
    OK, I’ve got the answer that it’s fine to work from there providing that ABN is not registered on that address.

QUESTION: Any suggestions on cheapest way to registering the ABN to different address? Beside PO Box which might be unavailable to me (from what I’ve red) and other option could be virtual office address (which is not cheap, around 100$/month). And I am planing to have around 100$/week once I start, really humble predictions…

Is it possible to register ABN to someones else address (friends address, who has ABN already registered and is an owner of that place, with his approval of course…)

Thanks,
    Vedran

harvcam
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

All the paperwork, renewals etc for the ABN and business name will go to the address you register so I’d go with the PO Box option.

If you are in a suburban area you can rent a small po box for around $110 a year. The rental period runs from 1 April – 31 March but they will pro-rata the yearly rate when you sign up (from memory!).

Be aware that boxes at GPO and Aus Post outlets that are designated business centres may cost more. So try and get a small one in your local area.

Omega BCS
    • Total posts: 19
    Up
    Major, post: 181358 wrote:
    Hi guys,

Is it possible to register ABN to someones else address (friends address, who has ABN already registered and is an owner of that place, with his approval of course…)

Yes it is, you have to be able to provide proof that you have permission from the owner/residents if asked however. You don’t need anything more than a signed statement from them for this though.

I had a similar problem when I started my consultancy, my lease stated that I could not operate a business from the property. Check your lease before you sign. I understand there can be ramifications for insurance, yours and the landlords, if you do run the business from home and the lease specifically states that you can’t.

What i did was use a virtual office but then “worked from home” and this neatly got around it. The cost was not as bad as you have posted, I was paying closer to $10 a week. PM me for details if you like.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.