Home – New Forums Logistics Unloading Of Shipping Containers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BrisVegasGhost
    • Total posts: 49
    Up
    ::

I am after some feedback about the best way to unload a shipping container.

I am looking at 20′ container that will be loaded with gym equipment. The heaviest carton will be around 100kg. I am going to be home based as I have a bit of storage area. Until I know how the products sell I will hold off on leasing any storage units.

So as I wont have a warehouse or shop front what would the best way to get the products shipped to my house. Can they be unpacked at a shipping yard and then be transported? Or would I have to get the container dropped on the front lawn and then unload it?

Anyone here that imports and works from home? Like to hear you thoughts.
    Cheers

SourceSmart
    • Total posts: 64
    Up

hello BrisVegasGhost,

I have clients who have had the same issues to deal with.

The solution was to find a logistics centre to unload and store short term until you have get them back to their place of storage.

The cost wasn’t too bad for these small businesses as there was no long term lease and it was easier to unload with their fork lifts etc..

Warren.

vhit
    • Total posts: 70
    Up

Hi Bris
    I think you need to get the 20′ container transported to your house, and unload it there. I’ve done it at my house, and warehouse. They drop the container off and pick it up the next day or so, when you phone them.

I’m not sure if you can unpack at the shipping yard, and then transport it. But that doesn’t sound like fun at all. Unloading it once already takes hours.

BrisVegasGhost
    • Total posts: 49
    Up

Thanks for input,

I have unloaded 40′ shipping containers on job sites and realise it is time consuming. So if I can get it dropped to my house would save a lot of double handling. Especially in this Brisbane heat and humidity its not much fun unloading containers.
    Cheers

SurfSunSand
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

My company brings in about 10 containers a week to our premise in Melbourne and nation wide.

To get a warehouse to unload it will cost maybe $600 in de-stuffing plus all the added storage costs and then maybe $50-60 per pallet to road transport to you. You could end up having 10-20 pallets worth of stock in your container.

Whoever is clearing your container find out the cost to drop it at yours using a side-loader. Might be $300-500. But make sure you have the space for a truck to back into the spot and ‘side’ load it onto the ground. Also find out how long you have to unload it, might be a day or two. If you go over this they’ll start charging you storage for the container.

Forget unloading at the wharf, costs are astronomical and not overly secure for your products.. not to mention the delivery costs after its unloaded.

Jays new to this
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

I’m new to running a containers unloading services but what would be the proffered way to making most coin in container unloading. I don’t have a storage facility but would I make a better turnover annually by having a storage and unload, store the clients contents there? Or should I just unload at their warehouses at a fixed flat rate and would anyone know how much the going rates per container would be please???

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.