Home – New Forums Starting your journey Unsure if I need an ABN

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    bc92
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I am currently in the process of becoming an On Board Courier with several companies in Europe.

I will be getting parcels in Australia then delivering them overseas, after the delivery I will need to send them the receipt of hotels, taxis/car rental for me to get refunded.

I will probably receive a job once a month or so.

As these companies are based overseas do I need an ABN and to pay tax (could be below the threshold)?

I have had a look at the ABR website but I’m not sure how to answer the questions if I do need an ABN. I assume it would be as a Sole Trader but then I get stuck at the next question.

I hope I have made sense and thanks for any help.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Hi And Welcome to the Forums. It is great to have you!

Have you checked that the companies you will be doing business for are reputable, legitimate businesses?

If you want to register as a sole trader, you should apply for an ABN.

Cheers

Easysmb
    • Total posts: 84
    Up

Hi There,
    In principal, if you are running an income earning activity in Australia and it looks like that your services is delivered in Australia, then you will need to have a ABN, of course you can run this as one sole trader and use your personal ABN.

For the income earned, you will need to include one business schedule in your personal tax return.

Hope it helps.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.