Home Forums Tell me straight… Unsure what to do. Need some feedback

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    writebychoice
    • Total posts: 21

I am a freelance copywriter/writer. I own a small business. Today, I got presented with an opportunity for a 12 month contract position. It is a government position within a shire.

I need to put my application together, but before I start on that, I am questioning a few things. I can offer how many hours I am available to work for this position. One of the things I love about my small business is exactly that, I get to choose how much or how little I work. Usually I work a lot of hours because I simply love my job.

With this specific position, I will need to be onsite for at least 3 months out of the 12 and working offsite can be negotiated thereafter. It has been a long time since I have worked alongside people. Presently I work alone 100% of the time. I am not sure how I will adjust to that. I personally am very introverted and love quiet when I work or else I cannot concentrate very well.

In saying that, I need to move out of my comfort zone sometimes. This will be consistent work for 12 months and I can see the benefits of that.

I spoke to the HR co-ordinator today via phone as I needed to make some inquiries, she has urged me to put in my application for the position and see where it takes me.

The other aspects of my career I have going on now are, I am writing my first book, working on my business and am studying as well.

To be honest, I have never taken on a contract position within a governing body. What I need some feedback on. Things for me to consider regarding the information I have put out in here. Two or more heads are better than one. I am also looking at the fact that doing everything I am doing will eventually lead to burnout for me and that will be no good for anyone, including me. I do realise something has got to give. I can no longer burn the candle at both ends. There is also emotional attachment with my book and my business, so I am looking for objectivity in the feedback as well.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you.

Paul – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 3,117

Hi!

You have written an interesting post and I will do my best to help you clarify.

First, it is a little difficult to decipher exactly what you are asking because you have posted a number of thoughts and circumstances but as far as I can tell, not actual questions.

So navigating is difficult.

First of all, compiling and submitting the application will buy you some time to get your thoughts together so I recommend putting in an effort commensurate with wanting the job.

Now imagine, you have the job.

Be specific around setting a limit on the hours you are prepared to set aside in total for a work week.

This should be in line with maintaining or improving your mental health and thinking about being sustainable as a small entity into the future.

Burnout will kill your passion and your energy and leads to overwhelm which can have serious mental health consequences.

To honour your new employer and be outstanding, what activities would you need to defer?

What are the actual consequences of deferring? As best as you can guess.

Compare the money. Take into account that Covid 19 issues may re-occur at any time. Assess the money against your known commitments. Try to put a dollar figure on your “freedom” as a soloist.

Have a strategy for getting peace and quiet at work. Is an office possible? With a door?

Can you negotiate some “soft” rules in the workplace such as being free to be disturbed at only pre-defined times.

All of the above is not exhaustive but it may start to give you a framework for how to put things together in your mind.

Cheers
    Paul

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,472

Its not a decision a forum can make for you, you are the one that needs to make these kind of decisions. We only know the tiny little bit of information you have chosen to share with us here, there must be hundreds of other factors in your decision.

But as an outsider looking in, if you are going to abandon your business for 3 months, i would say you dont value your business or clients, and it sounds like you are far better off dumping them and going to get a paid job.

Time sharing as in full time for the government and your business at night is also not fair to either. As a tax payer, it sounds like you are after a free ride, just to see if you like the job, a bit like the guys standing with their shovel’s by the roadside, happy to take the money, but not really dedicated. As a possible client, I would have the feeling you are not dedicated to me as a client, and are just hanging on to me as a back stop, and if the easy job at the government works out you will dump me anyhow..

You are either serious about your business or just playing with it.

writebychoice

Hi Paul,

I appreciate your response. I apologise for not being clear. I really tried hard to be. I have an illness in my brain that makes it difficult for me to be clear and concise. I do very well with my job, it does not affect that but just other areas of my life. I hope for some compassion and understanding.

All your feedback was very helpful and as a result I was able to make a decision that us right for me and others. Next time I will try use more clarity with what I write.

Thanks again.

Paul – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 3,117

Thanks for the reply.

I hope you have made a great choice for you and that you look after yourself.

Have a great day.

writebychoice

Bb1. WOW, I could not have read a more judgemental and thoughtless opinion. I’ve put the post under tell me straight and you did tell me straight.

That said, THIS IS YOUR opinion. I disagree with everything you have said here. That is my right. It is solely YOUR opinion. I choose not to take it on board and will be forgetting it as it has no relevance to me.

Mod Edit to remove incendiary comments.

writebychoice

Tha

Paul – FS Concierge, post: 270784, member: 78928 wrote:
    Thanks for the reply.

I hope you have made a great choice for you and that you look after yourself.

Have a great day.

Thank you, I will do.

Dave – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 2,523

Hi [USER=118586]@writebychoice[/USER],

I can relate to your decision as a freelance copywriter myself. So a couple of things to keep in mind.

1) You can use the interview process to figure out if it’s going to work for you. The selection process is not just for them to quiz you, it’s for you to quiz them.

2) This decision is not forever. A year in a salaried job may be a good experiment. You might love it or hate it. In the end it’s just serving a larger client. You don’t have to “close your business” to take on a 12 month contract.

3) It’s nobody’s business what you do when you go home from your day job. If you want to clean your fish tank, or work on your car, or tend to your garden, or sell stuff on the internet, or write something for an old client, you can! There’s nothing to say you have to cut all ties with your past clients.

Good luck, and we’d love to know how you go. :)
    Dave

writebychoice

Hi Dave,

Well that is such a lovely and positive response. Sadly, some people just have rudeness, negativity and judgement to offer, just like one response here.

If I had gone for the position, I would still have kept my business running. I certainly would not let my business or clients suffer, as it was suggested.

I ended up deciding to not go for the position. There were some risks for me, which would have resulted in risks for the employers. That was enough to make up my mind. I am happy with the decision and that is all that matters.

It is so lovely to meet another freelance copywriter. Nice to meet you Dave.

Lee.

businesstrade
    Participant
    • Total posts: 210
    writebychoice, post: 270809, member: 118586 wrote:
    I ended up deciding to not go for the position. There were some risks for me, which would have resulted in risks for the employers. That was enough to make up my mind. I am happy with the decision and that is all that matters.

Good on you for making the decision to commit to your business. Best of luck with everything!

Pilot Conveyancing
    • Total posts: 1

Good on you! I was about to say that it sounded like you already knew the answer in your heart but just needed to do a reality check with some other solo operators. I am just like you: “I personally am very introverted and love quiet when I work or else I cannot concentrate very well” and I used to have such problems trying to work alongside people with no respect for other people’s head space – for some reason being the quiet one made me the problem!!! I could never go back to working in an office with other people now that I have savoured the bliss of silence.
    Write your book, you can always find financial savings if you need to but you can never make up for lost time! I hope we see it in the book shops soon. Best of luck for the future.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.