Home – New Forums Other discussions Update on ad visibility…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up
    ::

Hi Guys,

I just wondered if anyone else is getting cross vision from the additional ads that seem to be on the forum? From the top of the page, I count 6 ads, and all of them for the same thing (Visa C/card) without me having to scroll at all. scrolling down adds and additional 4 ads of the same thing.

I understand that FS needs to be profitable, and advertising is important, but is there no way to vary the ads or something. Seems really silly to have 10 ads on one page from on advertiser?

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

The ‘the same ad wherever you look’ thing (technical name needed!) has been around for a long long time. Advertisers do it all the time, so I guess it works.

Personally I don’t even notice the ad’s any more.

If you really can’t stand them, try ad block. Sorry FS ;)

Blue Jet
    • Total posts: 189
    Up

I use flying solo site on google chrome and have the plugin do not track plus so I don’t see those ads. When I use flying solo on firefox I see all ads and sometimes it gets a bit annoying to be honest :) but the site looks good though, I am happy flying solo doesn’t use those flashy ads where they say click here to win this or you are the millionth visitor congratulations.

I don’t think Flying Solo will remove the ads if this topic somehow encourages people to post negative comments about the ads and say REMOVE the ads :) unless you like to donate some $ and maybe flying solo will consider you. (just kidding)

Me personally I don’t mind them :)

Geronimo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 237
    Up
    Blue Jet, post: 118832 wrote:
    I use flying solo site on google chrome and have the plugin do not track plus so I don’t see those ads.

I was wondering “what adds” , then read this and realised why 😎

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

I have never minded them either, and as a loyal FS follower, I know it is important to create revenue. I am sure though that the banner down the left and right hand side never used to be there, and it just seems overkill.

Again, I know it is important to create revenue, so if it is the ads or no FS, I can live happily with the ads :)

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hi AgentMail and all,
    Thanks for the feedback on these, I can see your point, it is something we’re keeping a close eye on. The forum element of this campaign just kicked off today hence the new ad spots just appearing. I suspect there are not meant to be so many spots so close together – I’ll check it out with the agency and see what can be done.
    Cheers
    Peter

NathanB
    Participant
    • Total posts: 775
    Up
    Geronimo, post: 118835 wrote:
    I was wondering “what adds” , then read this and realised why 😎

I liked you better as a lady. :P

Blue Jet
    Up

While we in the ad topic. Anybody knows how to insert an ad size 468×60 in a wordpress theme like the one here at flying solo but a bit smaller and on the right side.

Thanks in advance :)

MatthewKeath
    Up
    Blue Jet, post: 118874 wrote:
    While we in the ad topic. Anybody knows how to insert an ad size 468×60 in a wordpress theme like the one here at flying solo but a bit smaller and on the right side.

Thanks in advance :)Depends on the theme – do you already have a right side bar?

Blue Jet
    Up

hi Matthew,

yes I have a right side bar and theme is interpedity or something. i don’t want to paste the link here but if you like to see the website i send you a pm?

MatthewKeath
    Up
    Blue Jet, post: 118879 wrote:
    hi Matthew,

yes I have a right side bar and theme is interpedity or something. i don’t want to paste the link here but if you like to see the website i send you a pm?No worries – shoot me a PM and I can have a look for you :)

Blue Jet
    Up

the link should be in your inbox

Thank you,

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up
    AgentMail, post: 118837 wrote:
    I have never minded them either, and as a loyal FS follower, I know it is important to create revenue. I am sure though that the banner down the left and right hand side never used to be there, and it just seems overkill.

Again, I know it is important to create revenue, so if it is the ads or no FS, I can live happily with the ads :)

I agree, I find the side banner things very off-putting… :(

SmartBizBlog
    • Total posts: 101
    Up

I’m using Mac Lion, with the latest chrome and flash installed and when I browse your site for more than 10 minutes with a few open tabs; my activity monitor says it’s using 512MB of ram due to all the shockwave advertising (flash).

I actually have to restart my computer if I use FS too long.

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

@ Smart Biz Blog re Lion …

Turn off the Flash in preferences. It will then ask you to make it work if you need to see anything in Flash. I do that in Safari, otherwise it uses up so much ram that I have to reboot also (on an 8G ram machine).

If you do enable Flash on a page, afterwards close all the browser windows and check in Activity Monitor that the Flash plugin has closed down before reopening your browser. It really makes a difference to memory usage.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.