Home – New Forums Tell me straight… updated webdesign portfolio

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Craig_Longmuir
    • Total posts: 556
    Up
    ::

hey all

have just given my freelance web design portfolio a facelift

http://www.craiglongmuir.com

any comments welcome.

ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up

Hi Craig,

(I’m no expert), but I’ll comment anyway :)

The top logo is way to small and not easy to read.

The scrolling portfolio section takes up most of your real estate above the fold (it’s a nice effect but I think it takes too much away from the rest of your page).

Your front page copy is weak, it’s all about what you do as opposed what you can do your your customer.

Although I don’t mind the simple design I believe you need to have a little more glitz and glamor to sell in the webdesign business these days – as an example (I haven’t done this) – but do a google search in Australia for web designers and look at the first 3-6 and compare how they present compared to your site. Ask family members, strangers (anyone), at first glance you would choose to build a site for you – and why did you make that choice.

Good luck

Craig_Longmuir
    Up

thanks for the comments

what browser size are you using? its optimised for 1024 and the content fits for that. i do not support 800×600 screens.

would agree on the copy…any suggestions from copywriters welcome :)

craig

ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up
    craiglongmuir.com, post: 30612 wrote:
    [snip]
    what browser size are you using? its optimised for 1024 and the content fits for that. i do not support 800×600 screens.
    [snip]
    craig

1152×864 on 24 inch monitor

Craig_Longmuir
    Up

so it should cut off just under the second para right?

and on 1024 after the 1st para

as long as the user can see the 1st para to know there is more im happy there

vxd
    • Total posts: 78
    Up

I think it would be more effective if you just had the screen grab instead of the MBP.

I agree with Ray, your logo should be bigger.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Hello,

First impressions are important. I think you need a little more ‘Bling’ and a bit more color would be nice.

The slideshow looks quite nice, but it took a little bit for me to figure out that is was your portfolio scrolling along, the pics look very similar.

A bit more contrast between the text on background would work, and I would have a good look at the footer. It just seems to end abruptly.

As you are looking for freelance work, the requirements for the site is different than if you were targeting directly to business. There are some incredible portfoilo site out there by some of the world best designers. Check ’em out and get some inspirations.

Good luck, Matt

Craig_Longmuir
    Up

thanks, yes, have pretty much decided to change the mac screens in favour of a larger screen shot. this would add some colour into the mix hopefully…

target market is businesses, with little of my work coming as actual freelance work thru agencies/design co’s. i was basically going for the niche of companies that would rather deal with a freelancer than a larger company. also “freelance web designer” (im #3) is much easier to get google love than “web designer” (im off the scale!)

TheWebExpert
    • Total posts: 49
    Up

I would move your menu bar and “blue” ‘I am a freelancer’ bar, above the slider.

Or some clear messages on the slider. “I can get you selling more ‘stuff’ online”, “Keep your clients better informed”, you know the things your clients can expect from you doing their projects.

V

Craig_Longmuir
    Up

enlarged the logo and ditched the mac. adding a message to the slider aswell looks too cluttered

:)

vxd
    • Total posts: 78
    Up

That’s a lot better. Looks a lot more professional without the MBP.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.