Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Use of images in blogs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    ::

Hi there

I wasnt quite sure where to post this, so apologies if it is in the wrong place.

I am setting up a blog for my business for content marketing purposes.

I just wanted to know, if I am writing about other businesses to promote them, am I allowed to use their images from their website if I source them, or do I need to get permission?

I have seen a few blogs where they do a list of top 10 XYZ for example and use a photo of the product or business.

Thanks

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

In my view, you should always ask for permission. It’s polite, even if it’s not legally necessary (and I’ve no idea if it is a legal requirement TBH).

Also, in doing so you’ll bring to the business’ attention the fact you’re blogging about them, and that may encourage them to share your blog on their own social media sites, etc.

HTH :)

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi Solo1

It could depend on the manner in which you will be ‘promoting’ these other businesses, and which of their images would you be using?

If you wish to use their logos and brands, then these may be protected by trademark registration. It would be up to the owner of the trademark to provide authorisation for you to use their logos/brands then; There are provisions under Trademark Law that see you not infringing a person’s registered trademark even if you use the same name/logo that they may have registered but these should be carefully considered.

Other imagery – and in some instances logos – might then fall under copyright. Generally speaking you would need permission of the copyright owner to use their images – however, their are exceptions that allow you to ‘deal’ with a person’s copyright without permission… Fair Dealing is allowed under Australian copyright law. This can include dealing with the copyright for criticism or review;

So, for example, if you were to write a blog that’s essentially reviewing a branded product/service/business then it would probably be ok to use the associated copyright without permission.

As you can see, the answer is a bit of ‘it depends’ on how you are using things, and precisely what you are using.

You can read more about Copyright and Fair dealing with copyright at http://www.copyright.org.au.

As Bridie mentioned, there could be perks to actually contacting the owners for permission -even in circumstances where you’re not legally obliged to. If you are promoting other businesses positively, they might be more than happy for you to do so and use their imagery to do so.

The issue will often come down to whether you are ‘cashing in’ on someone else’s reputation in their brand/images etc, without asking their permission first. If you are effectively using someone else’s hard work to make money or drive traffic to your website/blog and away from theirs, then of course they’re not going to like it and would be more inclined to investigate whether your uses and conduct is in breach of any law.

I hope the above assists as a starting point :)

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

I use images of other sites all the time on my blog, screenshots etc. I’ve never in hundreds and hundreds of posts throughout the years been asked to take anything down.

I wouldn’t go stealing people’s professional graphics but if I was using their site as an example or something like that (as long as it’s a positive example) I don’t ask – people are generally happy to get the mention / link.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.