Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Using forums to service your customers can backfire

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    prepaidplans
    • Total posts: 38
    Up
    ::

Just wanted to share this with all. I found it in a blog I have started reading (not my own). Its a good case of how not to get personal with clients in a forum environment particularly when both parties aren’t happy.

Makes for interesting reading though. The customer is dealing with Netregistry.

http://delimiter.com.au/2010/03/26/oh-dear-customer-service-netregistry-style/

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

I can’t believe that! Especially from someone so high ranking in the company!

I know theres a lot of “fire the customer” mentality around at the moment, so I guess I must be old school.

My belief is to do whatever is in your powers to make your customer happy and make dealing with your company a pleasure.

– Jake

Carbonite Australia
    • Total posts: 118
    Up

That is what surprised me the most as well. Obviously Netregistry has its rules and they were either not communicated correctly or the customers just didn’t want to comply but to exchange views like that publicly in an online forum isn’t a great idea in my books. Its one thing to get annoyed or talk sternly face to face or on the phone but once its online it stays online.

Imagine a future employer looking you up on google and seeing that!

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

I’ve actually got a great article going live tomorrow on The Emroy Post regarding Social Media policy. I will shoot through the link tomorrow.

jasonm
    • Total posts: 180
    Up

The CEO backed the guy, and on reading the comments in the thread that are still visible it certainly seems the customer was making a huge deal out of nothing.

Forums like whirlpool can ruin reputations for companies, good on Netregistry for sticking up for themselves and sticking it to someone that hadn’t read the documents properly before submitting them.

Carbonite Australia
    Up
    Power Protect, post: 32820 wrote:
    The CEO backed the guy, and on reading the comments in the thread that are still visible it certainly seems the customer was making a huge deal out of nothing.

Forums like whirlpool can ruin reputations for companies, good on Netregistry for sticking up for themselves and sticking it to someone that hadn’t read the documents properly before submitting them.

I think the issue is that not everyone will read the whole story, they will read bits and come to a quick conclusion about who was at fault and most people will probably back the customer.

They can ruin reputations but when you start engaging customers within that forum then you need to be careful about what you say.

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

You should treat your customers with respect , even if they are psyco.

The customer believes they are right even when they are obviously wrong.

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

That was the funniest thing I’ve read in a while!

But I’m going to side with NR too, for $10 a year do you really expect to have a personal customer service assistant at your beck and call?

“Maybe you could move your domain to a provider who can meet what your notion of ‘customer service’ is, which appears to be basically as you’re paying $10 per year they can cop any crap you feel like slinging on any particular day.”

Hahahaha I’m still laughing

Carbonite Australia
    Up
    Chris Bates, post: 32836 wrote:
    That was the funniest thing I’ve read in a while!

But I’m going to side with NR too, for $10 a year do you really expect to have a personal customer service assistant at your beck and call?

“Maybe you could move your domain to a provider who can meet what your notion of ‘customer service’ is, which appears to be basically as you’re paying $10 per year they can cop any crap you feel like slinging on any particular day.”

Hahahaha I’m still laughing

I don’t think NR would like to stand behind the motto you get what you pay for. Their success hasn’t been built on that.

I am all for ensuring customers know what they are getting when they sign up, but working in a small business you need to go that extra mile even (sometimes) for difficult customers. And we all sit and say we don’t want them, but I don’t want them bagging the business incorrectly either.

Some people see through the crap but many don’t.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

But the whirlpool forum is noted for its lunatic fringe. Plus the whole host of supposed experts who are often half skilled IT wannabes.

Unlike FS of course, we are all nice people who know exactly what we are talking about. Now, where is my grey paint….

Larry Bloch
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    Power Protect, post: 32820 wrote:

I believe the internet age is about interconnectedness, openness and transparency. We’re not representing ourselves to be something we’re not. Whirlpool is a lively forum for all sorts of interactions and I fully support a robust and honest interaction between our staff and customers there.

It can get quoted out of context, but in the end, most readers are cluey enough to get the drift of the thread, and I’d prefer our market see us as we are rather then some PR-washed, sanitized facade. We’re a real company with real people who react honestly and forthrightly to real situations. What you see is what you get. Personally, I prefer an honest – even robust – interaction to an obsequious run around.

Larry Bloch
    CEO
    Netregistry
    http://www.netregistry.com.au

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

But Larry, did the guy get in trouble – really? ;)

I think give him a pay rise, it sure got you some PR!

prepaidplans
    • Total posts: 38
    Up
    Larry Bloch, post: 32875 wrote:
    I believe the internet age is about interconnectedness, openness and transparency. We’re not representing ourselves to be something we’re not. Whirlpool is a lively forum for all sorts of interactions and I fully support a robust and honest interaction between our staff and customers there.

It can get quoted out of context, but in the end, most readers are cluey enough to get the drift of the thread, and I’d prefer our market see us as we are rather then some PR-washed, sanitized facade. We’re a real company with real people who react honestly and forthrightly to real situations. What you see is what you get. Personally, I prefer an honest – even robust – interaction to an obsequious run around.

Larry Bloch
    CEO
    Netregistry
    http://www.netregistry.com.au

Larry the opinions have been interesting and I agree that we all want to see good, honest service. We are people and we do get emotional from time to time.

Its great to see you supporting your staff though.

I can guarantee that any of my current and past employers would have severely reprimanded me, no doubt.

Larry Bloch
    Up
    Chris Bates, post: 32878 wrote:
    But Larry, did the guy get in trouble – really? ;)

I think give him a pay rise, it sure got you some PR!

Honestly, I haven’t gotten around to discussing it with Brett – and probably won’t. We’ve worked together in Netregistry for 10 years – after that length of time most trivial things don’t need comment.

I’ve said I support Brett in this. That’s not spin, that’s it – straight up. What’s there to discuss?

Larry Bloch
    Up
    prepaidplans, post: 32880 wrote:
    Its great to see you supporting your staff though.

I can guarantee that any of my current and past employers would have severely reprimanded me, no doubt.

Netregistry is not an organisation that will scapegoat a staff member for the sake of its reputation. I can’t ask an exec to spend valuable time dealing with customer issues raised in open forums only to cut them loose when a journo publishes the outcome.

I knew Brett’s firm views long before he became active on Whirlpool and I support a robust, factual defence of the Company’s position when a Whirlpool member crosses the line of fact.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.