Home – New Forums Get productive Using iPad or tablet when meeting clients

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    takingflight
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

Hi Flying Soloists,

I’m not on here much but I have searched for a thread similar to what I am about to ask so if I’m repeating someone else I’d be glad to be pointed in the right direction.

I am a graphic/web designer and am considering purchasing a tablet or iPad to make showing possibilities/ideas to clients a smoother experience. (OK also so I can play with it!). I have an iPhone so am comfortable with the iOS interface but am concerned it may limit me in terms of software/applications/functionality (for example, file transfer…). I work on a PC computer with Windows 7.

My questions are: DO you use a tablet or iPad for this purpose? If so, what do you use? What do use it for? Why would you recommend the iOS, Android or Windows? How has using a tablet or iPad shaped your client’s experience when meeting them?

Thanks in advance :)
    Bridie

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up

A designer who uses a PC, I don’t believe it! :D

Designsphere
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

Hi Bridie,
    We are an interior design firm and invested in an ipad and have not looked back! It is fantastic for meetings with clients and showing concept ideas, past projects and drawings. We use dropbox to store our files, that way it is easy to access them anywhere on your computer or ipad. We work predominately on Mac but also have a PC, which works smoothly between dropbox and the ipad. It makes sharing and discussing ideas with clients very easy and saves on printing time and costs as well!

takingflight
    Up
    TheGoldenGoose, post: 122685 wrote:
    A designer who uses a PC, I don’t believe it! :D

I know, I know…:) I have had a history of freelancing and working between mac and PC on a daily basis and am comfortable with both. I am also in a transitionary stage, rebuilding a business after having children. When the back pocket is feeling better…

simonw
    • Total posts: 60
    Up

I think businesses like yours are the best practical use of an ipad, for the rest of us it’s just an excuse to play angry birds. It is a great way to impress your clients and show that you are in touch.

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

nothing like an ipad. you can do anything with the right app.

AnthonyMagro
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

I use my iPad for presentations, in presentations or on the go when innovation strikes. I’m glad I made the jump because it opened up a range of new opportunities to conduct business.

I bought a blue tooth keyboard to go with it, however; as my typing became faster on the tablet screen, I use this less and less.

takingflight
    Up

Thanks all – iPad seems definitely the way to go. Should be a great aid for business.

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

The iPad can be an amazing tool. Our son’s church sent a group to Cambodia a couple of weeks ago (including our son’s family) where they helped build a house and did lots of activities with the Cambodian children. It was an amazing journey. They may be extremely poor, but Cambodia has internet access everywhere. Our son presented the mission with an iPad and paid in advance for 12 months of internet access for the mission. Then, last Sunday, their (Baptist) church in Australia did a video hook up link via an iPad to their iPad with Facetime and projected it onto the screen so the congregation could take part.

How amazing technology can be.
    (I personally have just realised how great Facetime on the iPhone, iPad and iTouch can be, as long as you have internet access.) Would never had dreamed of this years ago.

So, once you have your iPad, look at the free Facetime included with it.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

That’s a great story Karen – thank you for sharing it :)

Jayne

Shane Walker
    • Total posts: 129
    Up

Hi Takingflight! It’s Shane Walker here.

I use the iPad all the time when meeting new clients and doing presentations etc… I find it great because it enhances your professionalism in the eyes of the client. It also gives them the impression that you are updated with the latest trends and techniques.

As far as transferring files across if you are using windows pc, you can use dropbox straight onto the iPad and be able to move your files directly across depending on which software application it is that you wish to use. With the iPad, some of them are compatible. For instance, you can change the keynote and make it compatible so that you can make a PowerPoint presentation using keynote of the iPad. All in all, it really just depends on which software applications in particular that you need to use.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

sarahjoy
    • Total posts: 36
    Up

I work for an accounting firm, and we most certainly use iPads!

Very impressive with clients, makes you look very technology-savvy, and if you use DropBox you can get around the file transfer issues very quickly.

I will say though, iPads are probably the most useful for showing people documents and only making very small edits – if you’re planning to input huge chunks of text it can get a little tedious (even with the Bluetooth keyboard).

We’ve also started looking into electronic signing for tax returns and so on – apps like SignMyPad can make electronic signing very easy…and you get to save on paper as well!

The eWAY Team
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    takingflight, post: 122539 wrote:
    …what do you use? What do use it for? Why would you recommend the iOS, Android or Windows? How has using a tablet or iPad shaped your client’s experience when meeting them?

Hi Bridie,

We use an iPad to control the music in our head office, which keeps our staff happy and productive, and creates a welcoming atmosphere for clients when they come to visit.

Our head designer uses an iPad as well, although our lead content writer prefers a PC with a physical keyboard.

Kind regards,
    The eWAY Team

YOSM1
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

The Ipad also helped me gain new business when I was having a coffee!

As someone said previously it is also a fashion statement. I was sitting in a coffee shop moderating my blog when this gentleman came over to ask me about the Ipad. We ended up discussing our respective businesses and I signed him up on the Ipad. This is now worth $800 per month to my business in revenue. More than paid for itself!!!!

Now to sit in coffee shops more often ;)

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

YOSM1, I think you’ve just given justification for both a new toy and more time drinking chai lattes in groovy cafes.

Love your work!
    Jayne

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.