Home – New Forums Other discussions Using “our” or “we” when you are flying solo.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up
    ::

Do prospects still for this – especially when the website has a mobile number and picture of one person?

If not, why do micro businesses like to act all big and corporate on their website, videos, phone call, etc – as if it’s a good thing?

Jodie McLeod
    • Total posts: 345
    Up

Hi Khalid,

This is a great question and one “I” wondered myself recently. Incidentally I found a bunch of great stuff on Flying Solo that looks at this exact topic.

First, an opinion piece by Sam Leader, for the idea of the singular.

Next, a piece by Yaro Stark and one by Zern Liew with similar angles.

And a few forum threads that explore different views:
    Using ‘About Us’ When A Sole Trader; and
    Am I a “we” or an “I”?

Happy reading!

Jodie

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    Up

Zem Liew nailed it in his article. very well thought out and still relevant 3 years later.

i’m thinking about sharing these articles with solos who don’t seem to believe in the power of one. this is one of the reasons why i am not a fan of ex-corporates or wanna be corporates. The ego tends to get in the way of growth and client advocacy.

FS Editor, post: 122726 wrote:
    Hi Khalid,

This is a great question and one “I” wondered myself recently. Incidentally I found a bunch of great stuff on Flying Solo that looks at this exact topic.

First, an opinion piece by Sam Leader, for the idea of the singular.

Next, a piece by Yaro Stark and one by Zern Liew with similar angles.

And a few forum threads that explore different views:
    Using ‘About Us’ When A Sole Trader; and
    Am I a “we” or an “I”?

Happy reading!

Jodie

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Sorry I cant help commenting here (see my signature)

I have often seen examples of where consumers have gone with the bigger company simply because it was bigger or more established.

There could be other reasons for wanting to look bigger or not wanting to look small.

Consumers could seek out the smaller operator for the purpose of paying less. Of course a smaller operator should have less overheads and should be able to charge less.
    So is the consumer consciously paying big business big bucks because of their big overheads? or are they expecting better service/product?

So what then happens when an employee of big business who was being charged out at $360 p.h leaves to work to operate as a solo. Can that person then provide the same level service or better and charge $360?

Steve

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    Up

what you are referring to is pricing strategy and it has nothing to do with cost, overheads or size of business but value rendered. so yes, there are solos who charge a few thousand per hour – for results.

there are small boutique businesses who charge more than big businesses for preferred service and priority.

those who go to bigger companies do so because the small business has failed to demonstrat trust and competence. it’s really that simple because others refuse to work with big businesses (lack of personal service + workers who get paid peanuts don’t tend to do a good job perception).

as someone who has worked on both sides of the fences, i can tell you that small is the new big. If you take a look at the big companies, they are doing local area marketing. some replacing 1300 / 1800 numbers with local ones and even mobile numbers. You will find CEOs signing off and some give out their (Fake) personal email address to make it look like their accessible.

it comes down to perception. some people like my in laws only wish to be customers of large firms and love to complain about them :rolleyes:. me on the other hand, am not a fan of big firms that take forever to adapt to market conditions. besides, when it comes to complaints or disputes, i’ve found small businesses are more responsive and ready to serve.

Divert To Mobile, post: 122738 wrote:
    Sorry I cant help commenting here (see my signature)

I have often seen examples of where consumers have gone with the bigger company simply because it was bigger or more established.

There could be other reasons for wanting to look bigger or not wanting to look small.

Consumers could seek out the smaller operator for the purpose of paying less. Of course a smaller operator should have less overheads and should be able to charge less.
    So is the consumer consciously paying big business big bucks because of their big overheads? or are they expecting better service/product?

So what then happens when an employee of big business who was being charged out at $360 p.h leaves to work to operate as a solo. Can that person then provide the same level service or better and charge $360?

Steve

Divert To Mobile
    Up
    Khalid Adam, post: 122736 wrote:
    this is one of the reasons why i am not a fan of ex-corporates or wanna be corporates. The ego tends to get in the way of growth and client advocacy.

aww not fair. The ex corporates I know are not like that.

Steve

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

Interesting. I always refer to my business as “we”. While I am the driving force (my husband has a paid job), it is a family business and I think of the “we” as feeling warmer, rather than larger.

Wendy :)

Divert To Mobile
    Up
    Khalid Adam, post: 122740 wrote:
    what you are referring to is pricing strategy and it has nothing to do with cost, overheads or size of business but value rendered. so yes, there are solos who charge a few thousand per hour – for results.

there are small boutique businesses who charge more than big businesses for preferred service and priority.

Of course but they’re a very small minority and in most cases their reputation has followed them from the corporate world.

some replacing 1300 / 1800 numbers with local ones and even mobile numbers. .

This is interesting, could you show me some?

it comes down to perception. some people like my in laws only wish to be customers of large firms and love to complain about them :rolleyes:. me on the other hand, am not a fan of big firms that take forever to adapt to market conditions. besides, when it comes to complaints or disputes, i’ve found small businesses are more responsive and ready to serve.

Very very true, but it doesnt have to be so black and white, big and small. How about the middle ground. Not looking huge and also not looking tiny.
    How do you feel about an organisation large enough to have an office with a few staff but small enough that the owner still turns up to work and cares about his / her staff and customers? Is that image ok?

Steve

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Local numbers I understand, but mobile numbers only? Unless you’re a tradie…

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    Up

i dont have the stats handy but if you are serious about this, try doing a test. advertise both the local/mobile and free call number and see which ones ring the most.

Results will vary according to marketing copy, positioning, industry and target market.

all i can say is that when you start investing in high summits/conferences, premium newsletters and coaching programmes, you will learn stuff that’s at least 2 years ahead and usually counter intuitive – but very effective.

Divert To Mobile, post: 122745 wrote:
    This is interesting, could you show me some?
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.