Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Using press releases for marketing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    612Sue
    Participant
    • Total posts: 81
    Up
    ::

I use press releases to market my website and generate traffic, interesting experiment you can look at my latest press release (released on the 3rd July 2011), cost me $28 on a site 1888pressrelease.com

As you can see they have had the release in the topspot for a couple of days, you can also see how other sites pickup and disseminate the details quickly, put “survivalstorehouse pty ltd” into google and you can see how it is now appearing on numerous other websites.

I also see more traffic to my site for about a week after put a press release out.

Sue
    http://www.survivalstorehouse.com

JaneB
    • Total posts: 324
    Up

Interesting. What kind of sites pick these up and put on their own sites?

Do they have to pay for it as well?

612Sue
    Participant
    • Total posts: 81
    Up

Mainly other news sites looking for fresh content, no idea if they pay for it, probably not…

Regards

Sue
    http://www.survivalstorehouse.com

chook
    • Total posts: 40
    Up

I will be putting my first press release out at the end of the month to co-inside with my launch. Thanks for posting this – I hadn’t seen this site. Just a quick question. Are you able to submit your press release to more than one site to get greater coverage?

Newleaf Exchange
    • Total posts: 95
    Up

Hi Sue,
    I did the search in Google and your right, it came up many times. Has your story appeared in many Australian sites?

$28? thats about what I spend on Facebook ad’s and are not having much luck… :(

Has anyone seen my Facebook ads???

Bizzy
    • Total posts: 64
    Up

I think my main goal with a press release distribution service would be in having the story picked up by a newspaper, online news website, or industry blog etc. Brushing aside the fact that alot of that can be down to article content and quality which press release distribution websites do you think would have the most success?

It would be interesting to hear if you got the article published on any of the places above?

Ytelco
    • Total posts: 116
    Up

A similar service here: http://www.prwire.com.au/

Australian service with no fees that I’m aware of.

GailH
    • Total posts: 217
    Up

Another free site that I’ve found effective is newsmaker: http://newsmaker.com.au/

I don’t think anything here gets picked up by print, but for sure we’re getting good Google results. I issued a press release in November last year about a Christmas special we were offering. That release is still ranking on Google page 1 for some of our target keywords!

nominal
    • Total posts: 504
    Up
    GailH, post: 82433 wrote:
    .. but for sure we’re getting good Google results.

That’s great result!

We’ve used prweb.com which is probably one of the biggest wire services, it costs $140 but it does have great coverage. It shows you where your PR was picked up on and republished, which is kind of cool.

Having said that the overhaul “success” of this was not great and didn’t generate many clicks. I’ll run a report to verify this.

I guess in our days we can always compare almost ANY advertising to Google ads and see how many clicks we got and how many we would have gotten for the same amount from Google.

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up

Interesting thread and I hope those additional site visits are converting to actual sales.

Press releases can be a fantastic tool to achieve wider brand recognition and boost your rankings – all of which can increase traffic and hopefully sales. Not bad for a relatively low cost outlay.

On the down side, there’s also no guarantees anyone will pick up the release and run it, but unlike traditional marketing methods, it can be a great method to try without breaking the bank.

I’d love to know how your actual sales have gone following the release.

Cheers,
    Anna :)

seolyka2
    • Total posts: 157
    Up
    GailH, post: 82433 wrote:
    Another free site that I’ve found effective is newsmaker: http://newsmaker.com.au/

Thanks for sharing. I just created my account on that press release. Have you tried the paid submission or just the free trial?

GailH
    • Total posts: 217
    Up
    seolyka2, post: 82618 wrote:
    Thanks for sharing. I just created my account on that press release. Have you tried the paid submission or just the free trial?

I’m just using the free version. We don’t issue that many releases, so it’s probably all we need for now.

BTW, I don’t get onto Google Page 1 for all of the releases I issue, but still think this is worth the effort! :)

Cheers
    Gail

Sarah Marie
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

I’d love to hear about your results too.

I’m not sure I’m convinced that international non subscription-based distribution methods are necessarily the most effective way to target your ideal customers. After all, a press release is the means to an end – generating targeted media coverage in publications that your potential customers read everyday.

I think sending the press release to some carefully selected editors, and following up with a few story ideas/interview topics will probably both achieve your objectives and build your brand to be trustworthy and valuable.

After all, you can be #1 on Google with a great SEO website strategy, and it will take them directly to your site.

I must say, AAP newswire and other trustworthy distributors are an exception to this – this is where most publications get the majority of their stories from, but they are subscription-based.

Just my two cents – good luck with your campaign!

Cheers,
    Sarah

B Cooper
    • Total posts: 211
    Up

Wow, I was under the impression that you needed to spend hundreds of dollars for PR like this (http://www.prweb.com) but it makes sense that there are free platforms out there too. Luke from the Small Business Big Marketing podcast said that he used PRWeb.com and got over 10,000 backlinks to his website http://www.boatsplus.com.au from just the one article submission. He did pay a professional copywriter to write his article however. Still, could be a good option for those who have a little more money to spend. I’ll definitely try all of the cheaper and free versions that people have recommended! Thanks!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.