Home – New Forums Tech talk using wordpress for a school website – any downfalls?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Leisa D
    • Total posts: 563
    Up
    ::

Hi all, I’m advising my son’s school on revamping their website but as a “print” designer, I’d like to get some feedback before steaming ahead.

At this stage it seems to me that WordPress (installed on their server) would be the most practical option as I can customise the overall look if it, then the school admin officer or principal can easily log in to add posts, update pages, upload pdfs, etc.

Wordpress seems to be a popular way for small businesses to have a website without the expense of hiring a programmer/designer or ongoing CMS fees – so my question is, are there any likely downfalls for a school to use this option?

Their web address has been allocated to them, and is a subdomain, ie. theirschool.blahblah.edu.au – would installing WordPress on their subdomain be an issue? (I have a blog running off my website, but it’s in a subfolder)

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

I’m pretty sure WordPress does everything and anything…there is nothing it can’t do…..afterall, there are 1000’s of nerds world wide working on it for free…bugs, features, they’ll fix em…

In seriousness tho, it depends on what they want to achieve….personally, I wouldn’t go around recommending anything unless I had a list of requirements in my hands (future and present)…

What do they want to achieve? is it just a front end website with no requirements?

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Wordpress is perfect for your needs.

You don’t need to look any further for a CMS.

However, creating a custom theme is a bit of work if you have never done it before. You need to know how to code.

Cheers,

Matt

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up
    JohnSheppard, post: 128598 wrote:
    I’m pretty sure WordPress does everything and anything…
    Ouch! I certainly don’t agree with that, and I use WordPress for majority of my clients’ sites. But those who make the mistake of trying to use WP for everything, eek!! Right tool for the right job.

In seriousness tho, it depends on what they want to achieve….personally, I wouldn’t go around recommending anything unless I had a list of requirements in my hands (future and present)…

100% agree with this. In general, for a fairly straightforward school site WP should be fine, but there’s a lot of potential features I’ve seen on some school sites over the years where there would be better tools for.

But a list of features & requirements and we could probably give some more accurate advice.

clintmaher
    • Total posts: 306
    Up

Exactly what Zava said :)

My Wedding Concierge
    • Total posts: 109
    Up

Are there any concerns with wordpress being more prone to security issues / updates etc? Or is that myth?

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up

Any database driven CMS platform can have security issues if someone without good knowledge installs and runs the site, or if the host does not have a good security record, or if very simple usernames/passwords are used.

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up
    Zava Design, post: 128610 wrote:
    Ouch! I certainly don’t agree with that, and I use WordPress for majority of my clients’ sites. But those who make the mistake of trying to use WP for everything, eek!! Right tool for the right job.

I was being sarcastic :) Maybe it’s not easily picked up in text form…

IMO, way too many web developers running around enamored with wordpress…

There are CMS out their specifically designed for school websites……nobody can give advice without knowing requirements….

It’s like gotta be the first question to any whats the best cms thread….if it’s not then what follows is always a load of crap….

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    leisadent, post: 128597 wrote:
    blahblah.edu.au

I would advise changing your son’s school ASAP :D

clintmaher
    Up
    My Wedding Concierge, post: 128707 wrote:
    Are there any concerns with wordpress being more prone to security issues / updates etc? Or is that myth?

Major concerns if let go.

WP is a living, breathing animal.

WP itself needs to be updated at certain times, although the biggest vulnerability is the Plugins (eg: Tim Thumb) that need to be kept on top of on a WEEKLY basis.

Back your site up often, and use a professional to do it for you.

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up
    JohnSheppard, post: 128729 wrote:
    I was being sarcastic :) Maybe it’s not easily picked up in text form…
    Ha ha, no worries, no tone is one of the hardest things to pickup via text based communication. ;)

IMO, way too many web developers running around enamored with wordpress…

Indeed. It scares me when I hear some people talk about certain projects and WordPress, as if it’s the best tool for every kind of website. I do pity some poor clients who get those kind of developers for their site. :(

NathanB
    Participant
    • Total posts: 775
    Up

Personally, I would use Flash.

clintmaher
    Up
    Zava Design, post: 128737 wrote:
    Indeed. It scares me when I hear some people talk about certain projects and WordPress, as if it’s the best tool for every kind of website. I do pity some poor clients who get those kind of developers for their site. :(

If you know what you are doing (to be really honest) there is not much you can’t do with WP that the geeky platforms can’t do (.NET, Magento etc etc).

The issue is many WP devs are bedroom hacks, and as good as they are in most cases, have their limitations.

Challenge me otherwise.

Every time I go to my development manager and go can you do this in WP…he goes…you can do anything in WP (if you have time and resources). Every time he astounds me with what can happen.

If that is too much to fathom, I would do what Nathan B suggests and get a full Flash website, preferably Wix.

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up
    clintmaher, post: 128740 wrote:
    If you know what you are doing (to be really honest) there is not much you can’t do with WP that the geeky platforms can’t do (.NET, Magento etc etc).
    I can do a lot with a hammer too. Doesn’t mean I should use it to hammer in screws.

Right tool for the right job.

ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up
    leisadent, post: 128597 wrote:
    Their web address has been allocated to them, and is a subdomain, ie. theirschool.blahblah.edu.au – would installing WordPress on their subdomain be an issue? (I have a blog running off my website, but it’s in a subfolder)

Yes their could be big issues. You will need to find out who is actually running the ??.edu.au hosting – if it’s a public school you’ll need to talk to the Dept. of Education in your state – from here I would say good luck ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.