Home – New Forums Get productive Using your iPhone in your small business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    chrise01
    • Total posts: 29
    Up
    ::

Hi there,

I’ve started to write back-end utilities to manage me, my business, and my clients, all with the use of my iPhone. I’m able to take leads from my web site, process them, route directly to a clients address, perform a job, generate an invoice and send that invoice to the client at the touch of a button.

However, none of this has been put to the test in the field, until I go live. I’m hoping there are any soloists out there that have used mobile technology to improve their business, and I was hoping to get their opinions? Is it useful or destructive?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Chris, your project sounds intriguing, and I can’t wait to learn how you get on. Please share your learnings with us!

Best,
    Jayne

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

Hi Chris,

I use my Iphone a lot for business, but not quote as advanced as you do!

I use the following …

Email
    ToDoList
    Calendar

I’m with Jayne, keep up posted on the progress of whatever you call what you’re building + how much your going to charge us to download it!

Dream Group
    • Total posts: 47
    Up

Hi Chris,

I’m the same as Jake except I add a few

Making calls and texts.

It’s quite amazing the things you can do with these phones now a days. Keep you informed on how you go with it all.

Regards
    Warren

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

I use my iPhone for Email and Calendar – but not for much else in the way of business activities. As used the the iPhone as I am, I find it a bit too bulky to do the bigger tasks.

Come iPad time though, I’ll likely use it for more in the way of remote invoicing/etc.

Jake@EmroyPrint
    Up

@Warren – HAHAHA!!! I laughed so hard then it hurt!

@Chris
    – Have you got an Ipad yet or are you waiting for a future, bugless release?

Chris Bates
    Up

I’ll wait for the 3g version and see what the feedback is. I’ll likely buy it as an eReader anyway, I already use Kindle for iPhone.

jasonm
    • Total posts: 180
    Up

Before I started out on my own I though the iPhone would be perfect but when the missus got one and I played with it, it became very apparent that it wasn’t really a business class device.

Dont get me wrong, I think they are a fantastic toy and can be a used a great resource but the limitations placed on its os and software by apple is the problem. My biggest disappointment with the iPhone is its lack of a home screen. If your prepared to ‘jailbreak’ you phone on the other hand……

As buggy as it is I’ve stuck with a WM6 device, and like most microsoft users I’m holding onto the hopes that the next version will be better.

I’d be interested to see how your system works, is it app based or browser based?

answermyphone
    • Total posts: 18
    Up

Hi,

I work with a customer who uses iphone very effectively in business.

I send her an appointment and she can upload into contacts, drop the appointment into a calendar, click onto maps to get directions, link to yellow pages online and web addresses. sends docs as jpegs. etc

No paper diaries here!

I definitely see the potential for business purposes with it’s connection to the net.

Good luck, I’d love to see your progress.

Jake@EmroyPrint
    Up

@Power – What exactly are you requiring in a home screen?

I’m a PC fan through and through, but there is absolutely no way they come remotely close with a phone to what Apple has got.

nadine_zrinzo
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

As a soloist I am often on the move, either because of meetings or the need to just get out of the home office and work in a different environment so I am always keen to learn more about any technologies I can use when I am not at my desk.

As there is no one else to answer my phones or emails I find the iphone indispensable for situations when pulling out my netbook is not appropriate.

My biggest issue with doing any work on the iphone is that the screen is small so it is hard to actually do anything semi complicated (might be due to my lack of patience!). It would be great if any small business utilities are designed to be as friction free as possible, with minimal steps or perhaps the ability to set up on the computer and then transfer templates etc to the iphone.

I am very keen to hear more about your solutions Chris.

Thanks,
    Nadine

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Just on this topic, as it would happen I saw this full page ad in the Age today.

I’ve scanned it and added it to my website (too big to upload directly to the forums) This ad shows all the useful apps for keeping track of your business on the go.

Here’s the link to the PDF

I myself will be buying the VehiCal and Mobile Receipt apps today.

iphoneforbusiness-small.jpg

jasonm
    • Total posts: 180
    Up
    Emroy, post: 29634 wrote:
    @Power – What exactly are you requiring in a home screen?

I’m a PC fan through and through, but there is absolutely no way they come remotely close with a phone to what Apple has got.

First off, [url=”http://www.teehanlax.com/blog/2009/09/22/iphone-needs-a-new-home/%5Dhere is the ideal home screen [/url]

Some may see these as minor greivances, and it all depends on how you work. For what I do and the way I work these greivances were enough for me to decide to take the iphone with my business plan and swap it with my brother’s year old HTC Touch pro.

So, the home screen, what I want is
    – to be able to take one glance at the screen, without having to unlock the phone,
    – to see whether I have any emails
    – to see if those emails are personal or business and in my case which business account they are in
    – to see what my upcoming appointments are

The iphone is also missing a file system, it cant be used as a storage medium to transfer files from one location to another like a USB key. The only (native) way to get say a pdf onto the phone is to email it to yourself and then each time you want to access it you need to find that email. In my line of work I need quick access to very specific reference information, perhaps if I had the time (money) and nouse to write an app then this could be addressed.

iphone has non-user replaceable memory…….not a huge deal but a potential for inconvenience.

iphone has a non-user replaceable battery, my understanding is it needs to go back to apple for replacement. Even if this is addressed down the track by third party resellers prepared to replace the battery themselves you are stuck with what is a fairly lousy battery time whereas with other devices you can carry a spare batt if need be.

Dont get me wrong, the iphone is getting better all the time and they have already addressed many of the early issues such as exchange server integration, but in my eyes its still not quite there.

Jason

Jake@EmroyPrint
    Up

@Jason – Ohh, after seeing that image / reading that post – I definitely agree with you now!

Iphone does need a new home screen!

Chris Bates
    Up

Nice find Yen! Couple of apps there might have just made it to my wishlist :P

There’s still a lot of room for improvement with the iPhone – but that’s the case with pretty much anything in life. I like the fact that Apple are constantly developing it, with an update rolling out every couple months.

I will be interested to see how big a step up the next gen iPhone is going to be, hardware and capability wise.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.