• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #984184
    EmbalmSkincare
    Participant
    • Total posts: 459
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi all,

    Could someone please assist me? I’m getting confused again on the differences between USP and tagline and differentiator.

    Using this template seems only to give me an idea of introducing myself and my business at a networking event.

    (My name is ____, I love ______ but was fed up with _____ so I created ______ that _______).

    Would someone be able to tell me how I can translate this into a USP?

    My current USP is (or I thought it was):
    Embalm is more than beauty; it’s about protecting and preserving your skin naturally.

    I’d appreciate your thoughts, any kind.

    Thank you in advance.
    Regards,
    Mel

    #1146315
    Lindz
    Member
    • Total posts: 254
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hello Mel,

    As I understand it a USP goes like this:

    You are proposing that someone should buy your product and that they should buy it from you.

    What is unique about your proposal that will entice them to buy your product from you rather than buying the same or similar from someone else?

    All best,

    Lindsay.

    #1146316
    EmbalmSkincare
    Participant
    • Total posts: 459
    Up
    0
    ::

    Thanks Lindsay, much appreciated!

    Regards,
    Mel

    #1146317
    Warren Cottis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 807
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hello Mel

    Your problem is not unusual and most businesses do not persist with defining their Core Value Proposition.

    So there’s your first answer… it doesn’t matter whether you think of it as a Core Value Proposition, Unique Selling Proposition, Unique Value Proposition, Tag Line or for that matter Elevator Statement… just get on with it because most businesses don’t take the time to nail it down when it is the foundation of everything about your marketing… go figure

    This is no plug for me but it does usually take an objective marketing person to extract that from you and to start to put it into a marketing plan than you can measure results from.

    I think you are way of the mark with something as vague as… Embalm is more than beauty; it’s about protecting and preserving your skin naturally.

    You should stop thinking “(My name is ____, I love ______ but was fed up with _____ so I created ______ that _______).” because people don’t give a hoot about that in this time constraint world.

    They want to know… why should I listen to you… what’s in it for me… AND they want to know that as quickly as you can tell them.

    So here’s some input to think about which I have plucked from an email of mine to an accountant… they are particularly hopeless at working out this stuff… no apologies

    You can be different (specialist) in any of three ways…

    Your focus — What specific aspect of your overall topic can you target? Example: Maybe you’re a personal trainer. You can tailor your training toward cardio-vascular…. smsf property tax

    Who is it for? — In this case you simply isolate a sub-set of the market arbitrarily. If you’re a sales coach, maybe you specialize in sales training for real estate agents…. gay couples with smsf

    Your backstory — in this case, there is something about your background that is resonant to a particular sub-set of the market. Maybe you’re a relationship coach who’s been married seven times and ten years ago discovered the fatal flaw in your personality that allowed you to break the cycle of failed marriages.

    But overall Mel, there must be a specific need for what you offer… and the greater the need is not met in the marketplace the more you can specialise and charge.

    And by the way Mel, you don’t have to have the best product but you do have to have the best story when you go to market… don’t think so?

    Well, there’s plenty of stuff out there that says 90% plus people in taste tests prefer Pepsi but guess what?

    Fingerfood, post: 167667 wrote:
    Hi all,

    Could someone please assist me? I’m getting confused again on the differences between USP and tagline and differentiator.

    Using this template seems only to give me an idea of introducing myself and my business at a networking event.

    (My name is ____, I love ______ but was fed up with _____ so I created ______ that _______).

    Would someone be able to tell me how I can translate this into a USP?

    My current USP is (or I thought it was):
    Embalm is more than beauty; it’s about protecting and preserving your skin naturally.

    I’d appreciate your thoughts, any kind.

    Thank you in advance.
    Regards,
    Mel

    #1146318
    Steve_Minshall
    Member
    • Total posts: 518
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hay Mel,

    Warren has given you a great description of a value proposition but I actually think you have that pretty much nailed and with a massive spoonful of irony I am now going to tell you to do what Warren is always telling me to do :o.

    In terms of your value proposition you have summed that up well on your home page:

    >100% natural / ancient history back story / simple ingredients / Au made / no animal testing/artificial scents/colouring etc.

    That is is your proposition and it is a good one.

    Now I am going to ignore your desire for wholesale customers as that is a whole different game and would need a different thread and just look at B2C.

    You have a consumable product that can be sold multiple times to the same person. Therefore you have to look at the lifetime value of the customer. Your first sale (or even give-away sample) is not about making money it is about buying a customer and getting them into your customer database so that you have them for as long as you can keep wooing them. (over to you Warren)

    I keep ignoring Warren when he highlights this deficiency in my business because although I should be doing it, my repeat business payoff is measured in years which makes it less attractive for me at the moment. For you however repeat customers will be the backbone of the business. You need to make your products a habit in your customer’s lives. Therefore ‘buy’ the customer first off then love them to bits with the help of someone like Warren to keep them.

    A couple of other suggestions: I like your home page but not your products page because it doesn’t have a single image on it. Imagine a shop where all the products are on the shelves but are hidden behind a piece of paper with a page of writing describing their benefits. That is what your ‘products’ page looks like to me. Quick fix, just replace the text with an image based menu. See what our favorite concierge Jayne has done here. All very similar images that in themselves don’t really tell you anything but you immediately get a sense of what the product is about as soon as you land on the products page.

    My final point which others may disagree with is about being the face of your business. I like that your About Us page is written in the first person with your signature, but if someone wants to be personal in their business I think a photo really gives the impression of taking ownership of the business. See Jayne again or even my own pretty face for examples.

    #1146319
    bennyb
    Member
    • Total posts: 10
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hey guys

    Really great responses to this post.

    I’d like to give my two cents ;)

    In regards to the website, maybe try adding video to increase conversions. Could be even a story of how and why you started the company.

    Even video for how to apply and use each of the products you have.

    Also testimonials on the homepage for social proof.

    To help conversion, I would definatly create a free report that you give away as a “bribe” to get onto your list so you can remarket to them over and over again.

    Maybe create a report about why using other brands and non natural skin care could be harming you …

    Look into banner retargeting to maximize your expose to people who land on your website so you dont lose out on current website traffic.

    I think selling this via facebook ads would begreat. Look into doing facebook promoted post. Drive the traffic to a landing page giving away information upfront, then get them to optin and sell via email. That has work VERY WELL for me.

    I turn $1 into $3 – 10 done this way instead ofgoing for the straight sale

    I hope that helps. If you need me to explain in more details pm me

    Cheers

    #1146320
    Anonymous
    Guest
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Mel,

    You’ve received some fantastic advice here from some very experienced people, so I hope it’s helpful to you.

    For my two cents, I think at this point it’s important to stop spending time on the USP and instead put yourself in the shoes of your target customer. What makes them buy a skincare product?

    Whether it’s natural or synthetic, it’s never about a USP or an elevator pitch. It’s ALWAYS about how it makes them feel – either the smell, the sensation on the skin, the sense of reassurance that they won’t get wrinkles, the knowledge that they’ve treated themselves to something decadently expensive (‘because you’re worth it’), or the feeling that they’re one of the cool folk because they’re using the latest hip product and displaying its groovy packaging in their bathroom.

    As Steve said, that makes it your job to get the product into their hands – after that, if they like what they experience (it delivers on the feeling they’re looking for) and if they can purchase it easily, they might just keep buying.

    There are many high quality natural skincare brands on the market these days, and many of them are using ‘I couldn’t find anything natural so I made it myself’ as part of their brand story, so I think you should probably step away from that as a central plank of your marketing… even though it may be true, it doesn’t really differentiate your brand, and more importantly, it’s not about the customer, it’s about you.

    I hope that helps – and please don’t feel disheartened by any of this feedback. The questions you’ve raised are extremely common and take time to work through (I’ve been having the same conversation with one of my clients for weeks now).

    All the best,
    Jayne

    PS: Steve, thanks for using Tribe of the Tree as an example. You’ve made my day!

    #1146321
    EmbalmSkincare
    Participant
    • Total posts: 459
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Jayne,

    Thanks for your response!

    After reading your comment that it should be about the customer and not the company, yes, you’re probably right and I will look into shifiting it around.

    I also have just had a look at some of my competititors, such as Aveda, Dr. Hauschka and Weleda; and two of them have an interesting USP (or tagline).

    Aveda: The Art and Science of pure flower and plant essences
    Weleda: In Harmony with nature and the human being (since 1921)

    What are your thoughts on those?

    Thanks again!

    Regards,
    Mel

    #1146322
    Warren Cottis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 807
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Mel

    It great that you started this thread and I hope every new member reads the advice here.

    I completely agree that you must put yourself in your potential customers shoes and think about what they want… which is not necessarily what they need. That can come later when you have their trust.

    Also, don’t forget we live in a world desiring fast gratification particularly when you’ve just noticed your first wrinkle.

    That can be your point of difference if your competitors aren’t saying it… simply using words like ‘quickly’, ‘speedy’, ‘fast’ or conversely, ‘slow time’ and similar

    Keep working on it…. I wish I could get Aveda and Weleda as clients… what does that mumbo jumbo actually mean?

    #1146323
    Anonymous
    Guest
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    0
    ::
    Fingerfood, post: 167795 wrote:
    Hi Jayne,

    Thanks for your response!

    After reading your comment that it should be about the customer and not the company, yes, you’re probably right and I will look into shifiting it around.

    I also have just had a look at some of my competititors, such as Aveda, Dr. Hauschka and Weleda; and two of them have an interesting USP (or tagline).

    Aveda: The Art and Science of pure flower and plant essences
    Weleda: In Harmony with nature and the human being (since 1921)

    What are your thoughts on those?

    Thanks again!

    Regards,
    Mel

    Hi Mel,

    While I wouldn’t go quite so far as to agree with Warren that they’re mumbo jumbo, the thing about those taglines (and others, like Jurlique’s ‘Nature + Science = Beauty’) is that any of the brands could use any of the taglines and it would still be appropriate – in that sense there’s nothing unique about any of them.

    Note that they’re actually taglines rather than USPs. In contrast, Weleda’s USP – i.e. the brand quality that they own that no-one else can or ever will be able to replicate – is (I’m guessing here based on what I know of their brand) their heritage based in the anthroposophic philosophy and their continuing adherence to that. But that’s meaningless to the vast majority of their potential customers, so they don’t make it the main feature of what they do in their advertising.

    Once they’ve captured your interest they’ll tell you about it, but it’s a complex story – so it’s best left for an engaged audience rather than for trying to attract new customers to the brand.

    In the arena that the big skincare companies operate, where they invest heavily in advertising, spending a huge amount of time and money getting their tagline right is important. (Say ‘You’re worth it’ on TV and in magazines enough times over several decades, and everyone will know who you are without you having to even mention your name).

    But for your business (at this stage in its lifecycle), the tagline will appear in your email signature, your website and probably on some brochures. You don’t need to set it in stone just yet, and if what you end up with evolves over time, that will be okay.

    So, if you started this thread because what you’re really trying to create for yourself is a tagline, then my first instinct is that given your brand name, it should be something like Preserving your beauty – naturally.

    Hope that helps, and will continue to follow your progress with interest – have fun with it all :)

    Jayne

    #1146324
    Steve_Minshall
    Member
    • Total posts: 518
    Up
    0
    ::
    FS Concierge, post: 167855 wrote:
    So, if you started this thread because what you’re really trying to create for yourself is a tagline, then my first instinct is that given your brand name, it should be something like Preserving your beauty – naturally.

    Nice one Jayne. Can you do one for me next?:D I have gone nearly a decade without a tag line because I have never thought of a good one.

    I think you are right, because a photo-shopped Andie McD tells us a million times ‘we are worth it’ and this gets traction the whole tag-line thing gets over emphasised. Us little guys need to concentrate our resources on promoting what we do, not promoting our tag lines.

    So although Mel was really just asking for feed back on a tag-line, if you pick the meat out of this thread, I think she has an activity plan for the rest of the year:

    1. Stop using the term ‘USP’. Originally it meant a tag-line in which you claimed a unique characteristic of your offering. Now it is often used to describe the core value proposition which is often much bigger than a snappy one liner. Therefore even though a tag line could be a USP it makes no difference it does the same thing. The burgers are better at Hungry Jacks (USP), McDonalds: I’m lovin’ it (tag line).
    2. So just choose a tag line, I like Jayne’s but your original would do. Just pick one and run with it because it is not going to be the thing that makes your business. Change it later if you want to, your customers won’t care.
    3. Plan your customer data base strategy
    4. Improve the aesthetics of your ‘products’ landing page
    5. Investigate how video may bring your content to life
    6. Get some testimonials
    7. Create a give away report/info/product to ‘buy customers’
    8. Ask “How do I get my product into people’s hands”
    9. Investigate re-targeting (nice one Bennyb- I’m going to have a good look at that myself)
    10. Take up Bennyb’s offer to learn about their FB experience

      and as final afterthought:

    11. What is your off-line strategy. I think your customers will be happy to buy on-line but they will discover you off-line. Again Jayne can probably tell you what has been successful for her as I know she has put a lot of effort into in-person relationship building with her business.

    I mention Tribe of the Tree again not just because Jayne is a cool cat but because I think there are a lot of parallels with your market and her business is really appropriate for you to benchmark against. Much of what is listed above you will see they get a tick for.

    So you may have come for suggestions on a tag line but you ended up with a pretty good strategy brain storm there even if you didn’t ask for it and probably a whole load more jobs.;)

    #1146325
    EmbalmSkincare
    Participant
    • Total posts: 459
    Up
    0
    ::

    Guys and Jayne :-)

    I have had an enlightenment moment and I may have nailed it.
    Will send you all a PM with the new ‘call it whatever you want’

    I think you’ll be proud of me.

    Wishing you a lovely day,
    Mel

    #1146326
    Anonymous
    Guest
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    0
    ::
    Steve_Minshall, post: 167892 wrote:
    Nice one Jayne. Can you do one for me next?:D I have gone nearly a decade without a tag line because I have never thought of a good one.

    LOL, I will have a think about it and come back to you!

    Steve_Minshall, post: 167892 wrote:
    What is your off-line strategy. I think your customers will be happy to buy on-line but they will discover you off-line. Again Jayne can probably tell you what has been successful for her as I know she has put a lot of effort into in-person relationship building with her business.
    [/LIST]

    I mention Tribe of the Tree again not just because Jayne is a cool cat but because I think there are a lot of parallels with your market and her business is really appropriate for you to benchmark against. Much of what is listed above you will see they get a tick for.

    Thanks Steve. :D

    Mel, the Tribe has a long way to go before it’s where we want it to be, but one of our key insights from the first seven months of trading is that the people who are most passionate about our products are those who’ve tried them after meeting and connecting with us. I have a feeling the same thing will be the case for you.

    I’ll watch with interest!
    Jayne

    #1146327
    EmbalmSkincare
    Participant
    • Total posts: 459
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Jayne,

    Yes, I agree with you there that people who try my products do fall in love with them.
    I find it difficult to get them to try the products though. You can only give away so many samples.

    Any suggestions on how to get my “best customers” onto free samples? I found Facebook giveaways attract a lot of people but only 2% of them are my best customer. Standing on the corner of a busy intersection would attract too many people not fitting the profile.

    Thanks again!

    Warmest regards,
    Mel

    #1146328
    Anonymous
    Guest
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Mel,

    It’s frustrating isn’t it?

    The best way we’ve found is to get ourselves along to events where there will be lots of people in our target market. For us that has predominantly been trade shows, but you might be able to find another way.

    Maybe some party-plan style events or something like that could work for you? (After all, it worked for Nutrimetics and Avon).

    If I think of anything else, I will let you know.

    All the best,
    Jayne

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.