Home – New Forums Marketing mastery USP’s (here we go again)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    abacus
    • Total posts: 174
    Up
    ::

So I ws just reading Sir Movealot’s post
    http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/sales-marketing/7766-usp-unique-selling-proposition.html

and rather than hijacking it I thought I would start a new thread.

I agree with Hugh’s statement

A USP is your Unique Selling Proposition. It answers this question:
    “Why should someone do business with me, instead of my competitors, or instead of doing nothing at all?”

That statement is my (and obviously most businesses) sticking point.

What do we(Abacus Screens) do that is Unique?? hmmm not really anything

We are not the cheapest or the dearest
    We advertise on time – everytime but I don’t beleive that is really UNIQUE
    “service to count on” is a cute throwaway line

Abacus Screens (like a lot of businesses) is not really unique. Do we really do anything UNIQUELY different??

Another point from Hugh

Why not ask your family and friends what they hated most last time they hired a removalist

That question about tradies in general brought about the answers that we already do.

• We turn up on time
    • We clean up after the job
    • We give a written quote straight away

Still not convinced that is UNIQUE

Sooooooo clever people….come up with some USP’s for a sceurity screens business.

Doesn’t matter that you don’t know MY business…what would YOU respond to as a USP line for my type of business?

The only no no is giving away stuff FREE!!! (I hate FREE…value add sure but NEVER give it away….)

Thanks in advance
    Sue

Warren Cottis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 807
    Up

Dear Sue

It is quite likely that you don’t have a USP because most businesses don’t.

However, that doesn’t mean that you cannot have a USP. You just need to create one.

For example, you could be the security screen supplier that comes back to the installation site 30 days later to check that all of the screens are ok and that the customer is happy.

Your customer would perhaps be so astounded that you might be able to sell them something else.

Your USP can be as bold as your level of inventiveness but I don’t think other people can create your USP because you have to own it and live it.

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up

Hi Sue,

Personally I do not focus on USPs I focus on trying to do things that get competitive advantage.

The trouble with USPs is trying to find the one offering that no one else has thought of doing and if you come up with something that is a winner it is copied in no time. Otherwise you just end up with gimicks.

What is competitive advantage then. A quick search gives this pretty good explanation:
    http://www.quickmba.com/strategy/competitive-advantage/

The difference with a competitive advantage is that you are able to do things that set your business apart and most importantly are hard to replicate.

Example: we sell tow bars, that is pretty much a commodity product and we don’t particularly buy any cheaper than competitors. You can phone us up and say how much for a Hayman Reese tow bar fitted to a Holden Commodore then do the same with the business down the road. In this case our only hope is how we handle the call. So how do you add competitive advantage to our business? For me this means finding something that is hard to copy and allows us to do something different. We create competitive advantage in our marketing not our product offering.

What I have done is created what I genuinuely believe to be the best tow bar website in Australia http://www.shop1auto.com.au/tow%20bars.htm. It is the only website that you can put in your vehicle details and get the fully fitted price of a tow bar with different brands for your vehicle. So now a customer will see this, quite possibly be able to see images of the bar and feel a) they are bit better informed before they contact anybody and b) we are the guys who are the internet authority on the subject.

So in the end there is no USP because the customer will get a professionally fitted tow bar to their vehicle which they could have possibly done elsewhere to the same standard at a comparable cost. But there is competitive advantage because it will be a relatively expensive and time consuming job for a competitor to do all the leg work we have put in to convert paper listings to a web format. Sure it is possible but I know my industry well enough that there will not be another website like mine for at least the rest of the year and by then I will have moved on to the next phase.

This is just one example of competitive advantage but your job as a business owner it to find as many as possible. Personally I find the whole USP thing a distraction which gets you adding blue berries to your doughnuts rather than saying how can I be the world leading expert in doughnuts.

Sorry I have no specific suggestions for your business because I don’t know what particular skills and resources you have to leverage but I hope this directs your thinking a little.

Life Coach
    • Total posts: 17
    Up

Hi Sue,

“Your security is our Business”

Just a thought.
    Be good to yourself
    David

Hugh Thyer
    • Total posts: 159
    Up
    Life Coach, post: 43121 wrote:
    “Your security is our Business”

BUZZ. Sorry David, it’s a tagline, not a USP.

peppie
    • Total posts: 525
    Up

As for USPs, I have come to realise that a Unique SELLING Proposition is not a good way to go. Simply because it implies that I have something that I want you to buy, and I happen to think it is unique.

Rather, I hear better thinking that revolves around the value you can provide to a client. This way you are looking more closely at what it is your client needs/wants and you seek to provide it. You are providing a value, perceived or otherwise, and that can be just a much be a unique product/service or just a better way of presenting it, and it’s worth.

Listen to what they want and how they want it (do your research) and aim to provide it. That becomes your Unique Value Proposition.

Life Coach
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    Hugh Thyer, post: 43129 wrote:
    BUZZ. Sorry David, it’s a tagline, not a USP.

Will the customer know that?

Just a thought

yourvirtualboard
    • Total posts: 569
    Up

Hi Sue,

If you truely cannot answer why someone should do business with you instead of your competitors than how do you plan to remain in business?

There must be some reason that customers are using you and it may be worth asking those that have. I don’t think it needs to be overthought but you need to know why people are choosing your business. It could be as simple as your location, service or even range and yes while not unique in the traditional sense of the word in your location with your product to your market it may well be.

Hugh Thyer
    • Total posts: 159
    Up
    Life Coach, post: 43143 wrote:
    Will the customer know that?

Just a thought

They will know it’s a tagline. It doesn’t answer the question, why buy from you over anyone else, including doing nothing. “Your security is our business” does not tell them why they should do that. It’s just a tagline.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.