Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Various advertising media

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jag_sv
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

I’m wondering if anyone has tried billboard or any outdoor advertising media?
    Have you had any luck and what were your obstacles/issues you faced? How did you feel about price? or is that something that has stopped you from doing it?

Reason i’m asking is because I’m launching a new project tailored around providing businesses with various advertising media e.g. billboards etc. This one is around large format outdoor mobile advertising.

So I’m wondering, if that is something business think about? Billboard advertising is expensive to say the least, the model I have is approx. 50-70% cheaper and you’d probably get similar brand penetration as a good -well- placed billboard.? how would that sit?

Jag

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Jag,

Welcome to the forums!

There are two billboards that I’ve seen recently and I think there is a lesson in both.

1) “This Bilboard $195 per week”

There is an impression that billboards are expensive and only for big corporations, but I think a lot of biz owners would be surprised and more interested if there was some transparency in pricing. It could get people closer to making a buying decision if they know how much and where it would fit in their advertising budget. If your mobile billboards are a lot cheaper, then I think people might be surprised how reasonable your rates might be. 50-70% cheaper means little though if most people have no idea how much a billboard normally costs (so use dollars).

2) At a train station – “People like you who catch the train to work could save 29% on your car insurance” (Youi)

There is a real push away from mass advertising, towards more targeted options. I loved this billboard because it knew its audience and gave a message that was truly relevant (not usually achieved by billboards). If you can stay aware of this trend it will help you focus on how to stay relevant – think about which companies/advertisers you can give truly relevant exposure to in city traffic for example, and at what times. You need to offer more than just general exposure I think.

Good luck!

Dave

Jag_sv
    Up

Thanks Dave!
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing- there is a big push away from mass marketing- so that is definitely a big weakness. But our other business lines should cater for that.

I’ve really only seen the big brands do any big outdoor advertising- as you have said- but I think this model may allow smaller businesses to access the larger advertising – would ‘perception’ of being a larger brand be an incentive for anyone to do billboard advertising?
    I wonder if anyone on this forum has considered billboards- and either gone ahead with it or backed down for what ever reason?

GamifiedStratMarketing
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

Hi Jag,

In my previous life as a Marketing Director at a videogames company (Activision) we often advertised on large format and transit outdoor mediums. It seems to fit well with entertainment brands. The rationale is that the format was used as an awareness tool to generate large size and scale when the product was available.

Most of the brands PR and communication would be done before the large format hits and as such its about awareness vs messaging. Given this the format seems to work best when you have a strong brand that doesnt require too much communication (given the dwell times of outdoor), and has easily identifiable creative.

I think its a challenge for any business that needs to communicate a lot of messages to advertise on billboard / outdoor, and why I suspect (outside of budget), the larger more well known brands are more inclined to use this form of advertising.

As a soloist I would personally steer away from this as the business / service I have requires a fair bit of communication of the service I offer.

Hope this makes sense and answers your questions.

Cheers,

Jeff

Jag_sv, post: 192762 wrote:
    Thanks Dave!
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing- there is a big push away from mass marketing- so that is definitely a big weakness. But our other business lines should cater for that.

I’ve really only seen the big brands do any big outdoor advertising- as you have said- but I think this model may allow smaller businesses to access the larger advertising – would ‘perception’ of being a larger brand be an incentive for anyone to do billboard advertising?
    I wonder if anyone on this forum has considered billboards- and either gone ahead with it or backed down for what ever reason?

Jag_sv
    Up

Hi jeff,
    What did you mean by requires fair bit of communication of services you have to
    Offer?

But I guess you’re right for Al ready having a brand. So maybe that is what can be potentially done? Target larger brands instead?

GamifiedStratMarketing
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

Hi Jag,

For me the services I offer requires a bit more information and communication than what I can successfully achieve via a billboard. My brand isnt big enough yet. One could argue that I just need to add messages like visit my site, but I have found that the likelihood of consumers seeing an outdoor ad (whilst driving), then remembering to visit your site is small.

So yes my suggestion is to target brands that are already established or dont feel like they need to communicate too much. The only factor I would consider outside of this; is if the company or brand has done a lot of other PR or marketing which has already achieved this clarity in messaging and so the outdoor is an awareness tool in a larger marketing campaign and not working in isolation.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jag_sv, post: 192786 wrote:
    Hi jeff,
    What did you mean by requires fair bit of communication of services you have to
    Offer?

But I guess you’re right for Al ready having a brand. So maybe that is what can be potentially done? Target larger brands instead?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.