Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Venturing into my first business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    writebychoice
    • Total posts: 21
    Up
    ::

I’m 40 years old and starting my first business. Gosh, I’m dealing with so many things I’ve never had to before. Personally and professionally. It can be very overwhelming.

I’m a copywriter/CopyEditor. That is my faster bread and butter business. I am also a writer, writing my first book. So, yes my life’s work and passion is in the arts.

I’m definitely taking on board the advice from meetings I’ve had. I’ve noticed though that I think about the advice given and how beneficial or not beneficial that may to me personally and professionally.

I’ve got a fair way to go before I can really say that I am open for business.

I’m just wondering how long it has taken others to get everything up and going to open their own businesses?

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712
    Up

Welcome, and congrats on your first business venture. I hope you get some answers here. There is a lot of experience on this forum.
    Feel free to ask questions :)

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    writebychoice, post: 270606, member: 118586 wrote:
    I’ve got a fair way to go before I can really say that I am open for business.

I’m just wondering how long it has taken others to get everything up and going to open their own businesses?

About 4 weeks from decision to do a total tree change to walking onto my first clients property. And the 1st 3 weeks of that was while on a family holiday in Queensland after escaping from a very unpleasant work place.

Why do you think you have a fair way to go to open your doors? So many people come on here and say I have being planning my new business for 2 years and still have many weeks to go. My question is why? Are they procrastinating? are they scared of what business entails? or are they comfortable in their current job and dollars?

Why don’t you just say my doors are open, and run with the wind?

writebychoice
    Up
    Rowan@quaotic, post: 270607, member: 28171 wrote:
    Welcome, and congrats on your first business venture. I hope you get some answers here. There is a lot of experience on this forum.
    Feel free to ask questions :)

Thank you. I will ask questions. Here is my first one. I accidentally hit report post by mistake. I reported your post by mistake. Sorry!!!!! I’m willing to fix it if I know how.

writebychoice
    Up
    bb1, post: 270609, member: 53375 wrote:
    About 4 weeks from decision to do a total tree change to walking onto my first clients property. And the 1st 3 weeks of that was while on a family holiday in Queensland after escaping from a very unpleasant work place.

Why do you think you have a fair way to go to open your doors? So many people come on here and say I have being planning my new business for 2 years and still have many weeks to go. My question is why? Are they procrastinating? are they scared of what business entails? or are they comfortable in their current job and dollars?

Why don’t you just say my doors are open, and run with the wind?

I’m definitely not going to take two years. I would ask why myself. I’m just building my professional website, getting my branding done and setting up all the necessary things I need to enable me not having the necessary tools I need to be able to work effectively.

Then, I will open for business.

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712
    Up

Don’t worry about it, mistakes happen and the mods will see that :)

writebychoice
    Up
    Rowan@quaotic, post: 270613, member: 28171 wrote:
    Don’t worry about it, mistakes happen and the mods will see that :)

Thank you.

Professor
    • Total posts: 17
    Up

Starting your own Small Business from scratch is a hard ask if you haven’t had experience and qualifications.

It is much easier to buy an existing business that the current owner wants to exit. This already has stock, location, and customers, but you need to analyse the business opportunity carefully to ensure that you can make the changes that are required for you to make a reasonable profit.

Many of my competitors were naysayers who told me that I had to follow the current system of buying from Australian wholesalers, but I decided to approach wholesalers in SE Asia who had a lower markup. This enabled my business to display more stock at a lower cost, resulting in far greater markups whilst still being competitive in the marketplace.

Before you enter into your own business you need to develop an “EDGE” so that you can make good profits and satisfy customers.

writebychoice
    Up
    Professor, post: 270725, member: 39407 wrote:
    Starting your own Small Business from scratch is a hard ask if you haven’t had experience and qualifications.

It is much easier to buy an existing business that the current owner wants to exit. This already has stock, location, and customers, but you need to analyse the business opportunity carefully to ensure that you can make the changes that are required for you to make a reasonable profit.

Many of my competitors were naysayers who told me that I had to follow the current system of buying from Australian wholesalers, but I decided to approach wholesalers in SE Asia who had a lower markup. This enabled my business to display more stock at a lower cost, resulting in far greater markups whilst still being competitive in the marketplace.

Before you enter into your own business you need to develop an “EDGE” so that you can make good profits and satisfy customers.

Hi there,

Thanks for sharing. It us not my first business. It us also not the kind of business where I need a shop or to purchase products overseas.

I like that you did not listen to the naysayers. In my prior business I did the same as you. Went offshore into SE Asia.

My new business definitely has an edge. I follow my instincts and intuition.

Thanks again for sharing your value.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

7 Days according to this book, by one of our members Dan Norris.

The 7 Day Start Up

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.