Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Victoria – sliding into a recession??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    themobilebillboardco
    • Total posts: 75
    Up
    ::

Afternoon Soloists’

Interesting article today from The Age:

http://www.theage.com.au/business/victoria-slides-into-recession-with-sa-tasmania-20130306-2fkeq.html

A lot of my collegues in the “Advertising” industry have been reporting the market has been soft for the past 6 months… which is a real shame as now more than ever we need to supporting each other, advertising locally and promoting Growth in Australia.

It seems we tend to complain about the “Online Retail” marketplace… but then do nothing to combat it.

How have others been going? Are you feeling the pinch of this so called “recession”.

al.giffard
    • Total posts: 97
    Up

That is interesting news.

The decline in investment is fairly pronounced, but probably reflects the significant and prolonged economic, political and regulatory uncertainty.

As for feeling the impact, we’ve had quite mixed impacts for our clients. Some have felt a noticeable decline in demand, but others are continuing to grow strongly. It seems to depend very much on the industry.

Al.

al.giffard
    • Total posts: 97
    Up

Speaking of political uncertainty, it seems Victoria now has a new Premier:

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/baillieu-quits-as-premier-20130306-2fk80.html

Al.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

Construction has been falling sharply (understatement).

Many subbies are “buying” jobs that do exist to get T/O. My clients are putting in prices at cost, even marginally below cost, and being beaten by 30% and more.

One’s booking his airfare to go live overseas on his Aussie dollars, renting 1 apartment in inner Melb will provide enough to live well elsewhere.

This time last year I was sorting through up to about 20 pricing opportunities a week, this week and last, there were none.

I live in a prime agricultural area, it’s starting to struggle too. A large international dairy food producer is closing it’s doors (cheaper in NZ I think), a major transport company has gone into liquidation, cement works is closing. The wholesale price of milk is killing dairy farmers, high dollar …many farms are quietly on the market, not too many buyers either, except overseas countries looking for food security.

Feels like a bit more than political uncertainty … time will tell.

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

Do your colleagues in advertising know about direct response or roi advertising? if not, it’s probably going to get worse for them because businesses want responsibility and accountability from marketing and advertising folks.

Trying to “combat” the online retail reality is like taking on laser guided missiles with a knife and a wooden shield.

Conclusion: Participating in a recession is a choice for those who listen to the voice of the market and then make the necessary adjustments to earn their business.

btw, who said we are obligated to stay in one place or industry? go where the market is and give them what they want. There’s always a place or industry where business is booming.

Greg_M
    Up
    Khalid Adam, post: 154072 wrote:
    Trying to “combat” the online retail reality is like taking on laser guided missiles with a knife and a wooden shield.

Conclusion: Participating in a recession is a choice for those who listen to the voice of the market and then make the necessary adjustments to earn their business.

btw, who said we are obligated to stay in one place or industry? go where the market is and give them what they want. There’s always a place or industry where business is booming.

I’d agree there’s always opportunity in any market, I took a belting in 89/90 and lived to tell the tale … but, it can get get a bit messy while people adjust to a new paradigm.

Earthmover
    • Total posts: 33
    Up

It is looking rather bad at the moment, I haven’t had a days work in 4 weeks and the phone only rings a few times a week now.

Funds are drying up and its looking like I might need to sell off my equipment, no ones buying though.

really need to sort out my marketing i think!

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Some pessimistic answers!

Things go up, things go down, good times and hard times.

Doesn’t change the fact we still have one of the strongest economies in the world, and have a higher standard of living and more opportunities than most people.

My brother in law just returned from his second trip to Ethiopia – put it into perspective!

So chins up!

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 154077 wrote:

Doesn’t change the fact we still have one of the strongest economies in the world, and have a higher standard of living and more opportunities than most people.

My brother in law just returned from his second trip to Ethiopia – put it into perspective!

So chins up!
    Agree 100%.

Greg_M
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 154077 wrote:

So chins up!

I agree with this sentiment, by world standards we are unbelievably wealthy … but you can’t stick your head in the sand either.

We’ve had a pretty soft life thanks to a resources boom, not through any magical ability to innovate, or embrace change.

Considering how long this boom has been running I haven’t seen government of any flavour use it effectively to ensure my grandchildren’s future … more likely wasted it on short term vote buying.

My personal opinion is we’re in for a reality check that may prove we’re not quite as immune to world economic forces as we’ve deluded ourselves into believing.

Hopefully a reality check will wake a few more up to how good we do have it here.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.