Home – New Forums Starting your journey Virtual assistant and personal family budgets

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mama bear
    • Total posts: 18
    Up
    ::

hi newbie here :)
    I have been dwelling with the idea of virtual assistant for a while now as I have a toddler and my partner doesn’t want me to work away from her. It would be more an income supplement for us so small hours and I plan to target local small businesses at this stage.
    Another thing I have though of doing is helping people with family budgets. Drawing it up and going through Incomings and outgoings to help them see where they can save money and not spend or put to debt instead. I am great with budgets and I enjoy doing it. I am qualified in bookkeeping though not a registered agent so I don’t want to head down that path yet.
    My main question is about insurance, where do I start? What do I need? Being a VA I would not have clients come to my home however doing budgeting I may? Am I even allowed to help people do family budgets ?
    Do you think there would be a market for these?
    Also how do I decide on what to charge??
    I know first step is an abn which I haven’t got yet, then I was planning on going to previous workplaces that I still have a good relationship with and speaking to them.
    Any advice?!

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Welcome to the forums Mama Bear!

I love this approach – “I was planning on going to previous workplaces that I still have a good relationship with and speaking to them.”

For personal/family budgets, do the same – offer to help out a few of your friends for free. If you can’t convince them, find out why (if you can’t even convince your friends, you will have trouble finding clients elsewhere). If they’re up for it you’ll get some practice, and will get some feedback on how it helped them, how much you saved them, etc and you can improve different aspects of your service.

Once you have this feedback, you can offer your service more confidently, and you’ll know how to market it. For example if their biggest feedback is “we’ve finally paid off our credit card!” then you have a good pitch to get your next customer.

Good luck!

Dave

Mama bear
    • Total posts: 18
    Up

Thanks Dave, that’s a good idea going to friends and offering services for free, I was trying to think how I could start off with VA as well having not had clients before. Maybe a lower price and they only have to pay if they are happy with my service approach??
    My concern with using friends for trialling family budgets is they may say no because they don’t want me to know their income, which is fair enough even though it’s all private. Which leads me to another question, how do you go about privacy policy? Is there a standard one in place that you must obide by once starting a business of this type?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.