Home – New Forums Tech talk Virtual Desktop

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    eclipzed
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    ::

Hi Everyone

I wanted to know if anyone has used a Virtual Desktop service (ie EyeOS, iCloud). What was your experience? Was the service reasonable?

I have just set up a VA business and offer a FREE 2GB of virtual space (this will be changed to 10GB once we have 50 registered users and will still remain free)

If you haven’t used one before, feel free to check it out.

I am a strong believer of Open Source software and will be contributing to the EyeOS project (which powers the Virtual Desktop) for further development.

Kind Regards

Eclipzed

soliddata
    • Total posts: 392
    Up
    eclipzed, post: 13625 wrote:
    I wanted to know if anyone has used a Virtual Desktop service (ie EyeOS, iCloud). What was your experience? Was the service reasonable?

Sorry if I am asking a silly question – could you explain what a virtual desktop does and what I would get out of using it?

Thanks

Kevin

eclipzed
    Up

Most people would see a Virtual Desktop as a built-in function (depending on OS) that allows you to expand screen real-estate.

We are providing a different type of Virtual Desktop with an OS-in-a-Browser (powered by EyeOS) – with a Desktop with Icons, Menu System and a variety of applications!

It currently gives you 2GB of free storage, which is being increased to 10GB, to store your Documents, Music, Videos… Whatever files you desire.

Its ease of use is an interesting factor, as is its amazing catalog of programs.

Feel free to check it out at the link below.

Eclipzed

MOATGroup
    Up

I did read with interest your explanation of what a Virtual Desktop was and I think the point was missed slightly.

The concept of a Virtual Desktop is to provide a desktop service / platform which would enable a user to access their desktop & applications from anywhere around the world and via a myriad of devices and have access to documents, emails and more (as if you had the same machine and same information at home and work)

For a single user, there is a benefit of this in that they can develop a desktop that can be accessed at home, on the road, at work, overseas and do not need to worry about replicating data across different machines or losing laptops etc, plus with added security of protection, backup and recovery, all under a monthly fee, thus reducing initial costs.

Sorry if I misread your comment, but I figured this would help explain to others that may not have understood your comment about the product you are selling.

Hope this helps further clarify the comment, more than willing to offer any further advice if required.

bradzo
    • Total posts: 335
    Up

@DigitalDomination – were you replying to Marcus? :)

I had tried to setup EyeOS before, but it doesn’t like running on Windows+XAMPP. (Or maybe I didn’t try hard enough…)

So I setup my server with Ubuntu+lamp-server, and EyeOS installed with no problems.

@eclipzed
    – are you sure your website is up? You posted a couple of years ago! :)

For everyone else, if you’d like to try a web desktop, I made a user you can use to login:

EyeOS

URL – http://webdesktops.boldlygoingnowhere.org/eyeos/
    User – flyingsolo
    Pass – password

To logout, click the Close Session in the top right hand corner.

and

Lucid

URL – http://webdesktops.boldlygoingnowhere.org/lucid/
    User – flyingsolo
    Pass – password

To logout, select the Log Out option from the System menu.

I hope they work.

Have fun, and please let me know what you think of the virtual desktops.

I love this “self-hosted” stuff!

I think I’ll update my signature as well, just quietly. :)

[Former] FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Brad, Hi Digital Domination,

Apologies for any inconvenience – the post you’re referring to has been removed as spam.

cheers
    Jayne

bradzo
    • Total posts: 335
    Up
    FS Concierge, post: 88422 wrote:
    Hi Brad, Hi Digital Domination,

Apologies for any inconvenience – the post you’re referring to has been removed as spam.

cheers
    Jayne

Hi Jayne

No worries!

Anyway, if anyone is interested in a “web desktop”, my previous post still applies. Have a play around – it probably won’t replace what you’re doing now, but its a look at what’s possible.

Cheers
    Brad

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.