Home – New Forums Other discussions Visit to China

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up
    ::

There are always so many threads on FS about sourcing and importing from China, that I thought I’d share a little adventure I had last week.

Now that my relationship with our industrial designer has come to an end (just by running its natural course) I decided it was important that I meet the factory manager I would be dealing directly with, and actually see where our product is manufactured. I had an opportunity to meet up with my designer in China and visit the factory with him, so I “seized the day” !!

I had twelve days to book flights, accommodation, get a visa and organise my family (that took the longest lol). Since I was going on my own I decided to spend two days in Hong Kong first…purely for my own selfish reasons !! Then I took the MTR (rail) to the border and crossed into China.

What an experience !! Firstly, did you know that facebook and youtube are banned in China ?! Now that was a culture shock in itself. The people were friendly, helpful, curious, stared a lot and the factory was old, run-down, behind gates in a poor, dirty part of the city, and filled with 26 engineers and 70 technicians along with the latest high-tech machinery and equipment.

The biggest advantage to visiting was meeting face-to-face the people I will be doing business with, and beginning a real relationship with them.

I would strongly recommend anyone who does business with China to do the same…it was awesome !!

Wendy :)
    PS you can see my photos here or on my Facebook page.

seocourse
    • Total posts: 918
    Up
    Couple It, post: 107886 wrote:
    There are always so many threads on FS about sourcing and importing from China, that I thought I’d share a little adventure I had last week.

Now that my relationship with our industrial designer has come to an end (just by running its natural course) I decided it was important that I meet the factory manager I would be dealing directly with, and actually see where our product is manufactured. I had an opportunity to meet up with my designer in China and visit the factory with him, so I “seized the day” !!

I had twelve days to book flights, accommodation, get a visa and organise my family (that took the longest lol). Since I was going on my own I decided to spend two days in Hong Kong first…purely for my own selfish reasons !! Then I took the MTR (rail) to the border and crossed into China.

What an experience !! Firstly, did you know that facebook and youtube are banned in China ?! Now that was a culture shock in itself. The people were friendly, helpful, curious, stared a lot and the factory was old, run-down, behind gates in a poor, dirty part of the city, and filled with 26 engineers and 70 technicians along with the latest high-tech machinery and equipment.

The biggest advantage to visiting was meeting face-to-face the people I will be doing business with, and beginning a real relationship with them.

I would strongly recommend anyone who does business with China to do the same…it was awesome !!

Love it. I guess this gives you a complete different understanding of how things work there. Very cool… congrats!

seocourse
    • Total posts: 918
    Up
    Couple It, post: 107886 wrote:

Love it. I guess this gives you a complete different understanding of how things work there. Very cool… congrats!

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

What a great tax write off ;)

it is a great idea, and well done to you for doing it. You must be very excited about all of your hard work coming together, and actually getting to see the production process

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

What a great tax write off ;)

it is a great idea, and well done to you for doing it. You must be very excited about all of your hard work coming together, and actually getting to see the production process

Cesar
    • Total posts: 591
    Up

What a coincidence Wendy, in April I have been invited to visit the manufacturing plant of one of my suppliers in the Philippines. I must say, it’s great to see the enthusiasm you display towards your business by taking the initiative to see the manufacturing process of your exclusive product. ;)

Cesar
    • Total posts: 591
    Up

What a coincidence Wendy, in April I have been invited to visit the manufacturing plant of one of my suppliers in the Philippines. I must say, it’s great to see the enthusiasm you display towards your business by taking the initiative to see the manufacturing process of your exclusive product. ;)

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

That’s a great story Wendy, and I suspect it will turn out to be a very good investment… you will have much better guanxi now that you’ve met your supplier in person :)

Jayne

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

That’s a great story Wendy, and I suspect it will turn out to be a very good investment… you will have much better guanxi now that you’ve met your supplier in person :)

Jayne

MyGreatIdea
    Up
    WAHE, post: 107939 wrote:
    What a coincidence Wendy, in April I have been invited to visit the manufacturing plant of one of my suppliers in the Philippines.

Fantastic !! Would love to hear your thoughts when you return.

I certainly appreciate now why I hear “another three weeks”, “another four weeks” all the time.

MyGreatIdea
    Up
    WAHE, post: 107939 wrote:
    What a coincidence Wendy, in April I have been invited to visit the manufacturing plant of one of my suppliers in the Philippines.

Fantastic !! Would love to hear your thoughts when you return.

I certainly appreciate now why I hear “another three weeks”, “another four weeks” all the time.

Cat – GLC
    • Total posts: 440
    Up

Hi Wendy,

That is great that you were able to meet with your supplier. I always recommend if possible to actually meet with your supplier and see how there business is run, which gives a better understanding as to how it all comes together.

WAHE, have a great time in the Philippines. I love the place! I may be biased as my mum is from there though :)

Great shopping!

Cat :)

Cat – GLC
    • Total posts: 440
    Up

Hi Wendy,

That is great that you were able to meet with your supplier. I always recommend if possible to actually meet with your supplier and see how there business is run, which gives a better understanding as to how it all comes together.

WAHE, have a great time in the Philippines. I love the place! I may be biased as my mum is from there though :)

Great shopping!

Cat :)

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

I visited China a couple of years bac. I have always said on this forum, if you deal with overseas suppliers you MUST visit them.
    Here are some blog posts of my trip to footwear factories – the first sets the scene a bit (use these links as I need to fix the numbered ones at the end of each article)
    http://www.accommodationplus.com.au/blog/2010/09/china-trip-post-3/
    http://www.accommodationplus.com.au/blog/2010/09/china-trip-of-hand-crafted-products-and-adventurous-meals/
    http://www.accommodationplus.com.au/blog/2010/09/china-trip-get-a-run-on-shoes-and-night-flight-to-shanghai/
    http://www.accommodationplus.com.au/blog/2010/09/china-trip-this-little-piggy-goes-to-market-on-a-very-fast-train/

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

I visited China a couple of years bac. I have always said on this forum, if you deal with overseas suppliers you MUST visit them.
    Here are some blog posts of my trip to footwear factories – the first sets the scene a bit (use these links as I need to fix the numbered ones at the end of each article)
    http://www.accommodationplus.com.au/blog/2010/09/china-trip-post-3/
    http://www.accommodationplus.com.au/blog/2010/09/china-trip-of-hand-crafted-products-and-adventurous-meals/
    http://www.accommodationplus.com.au/blog/2010/09/china-trip-get-a-run-on-shoes-and-night-flight-to-shanghai/
    http://www.accommodationplus.com.au/blog/2010/09/china-trip-this-little-piggy-goes-to-market-on-a-very-fast-train/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.