Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Wannabe. Hello.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    GetYerOwnBin
    • Total posts: 58
    Up
    ::

Hello All. Let me say right away that I don’t have a business. (Yet).
    Heck, I don’t even have a job. (Right now).
    I was so bored and frustrated by it I just had to get out and so, after resigning, thought I’d enrol in a course at TAFE.

What a little disaster that turned out to be.

BUT.

After feeling hopeless for the past two weeks, I’ve stumbled across this site, wandered in among the threads and read a little gem from someone that says:

Having a good income will not make you happy if you don’t like your job.
    Not having enough money to live on will make it impossible to be happy.

That’s true. I was on a good income, cooped up in an office welded to a boring, ultra conservative culture and utterly miserable.
    Now I’m on no income and only half as miserable.
    (I’m not on the dole, btw. Govt bodies that give you money frighten me).

I’ll admit that being in ‘occupation limbo’ has given rise to the occasional pangs of despair but only because I really don’t know what to do only that I know that I don’t want to work for someone else anymore.

One thing I did notice during my time in the office was that the cleaning was never properly done. And I’d watch these suited up characters come in, spot vac and dust and I’d think, you missed that entire area over there….and I thought of becoming a cleaner.

It’s also been a personally eye opening experience to watch the people you thought were friends stay away because you don’t have a title anymore.

But that’s another story.

I’m here to learn, try to give back and pick up any advice you’re willing to give me.

11143#deleted
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

Hi Wannabe,

Wow, it takes a lot of courage to do what you have done. I admire that. Wanting to be the cleaner is not such a bad idea. I’ve always believed that it doesn’t matter what you do as long as you do it well. Have you ever noticed that a business manages just fine when the boss is away, but everyone notices when the cleaner hasn’t been in?

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Lauren

JenG
    • Total posts: 133
    Up

Hi Wannabe. I agree it takes great courage to do what you’re doing. Many successful people would not be where they are today without taking a risk at some stage. Just wanted to wish you great inspiration and much satisfaction in the future.

Jen

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Wannabe,

Thanks for joining Flying Solo – we’re thrilled that you found some inspiration here.

If cleaning is the direction you’re thinking of moving into, I’d recommend you introduce yourself to Burgo (Patrick). Not only is he one of the most supportive and prolific members of the Flying Solo community, but he’s also possibly the most passionate man on the planet when it comes to the cleaning industry. I’m sure he’d have some words of advice and encouragement for you.

All the best with whatever you decide to do.
    Jayne

GetYerOwnBin
    • Total posts: 58
    Up

Honestly, it had more to do with crying into my pathetic $4 coffee cup than courage. I just felt I was being squeezed by despair, the longer I stayed the more confused I’d get.

Getting out gave me clarity even if it did give me an empty purse.

Have you ever noticed that a business manages just fine when the boss is away, but everyone notices when the cleaner hasn’t been in?

Yes!

Thank you all for your kind encouragement.

Indeed I spotted Burgo and contacted him straight away. And he didn’t put me off. Not only that, he echoed pretty much what I’d found on the ground during my research so it was great to have that reaffirmed. What a top bloke! If this is what the cleaning community is like, I can’t wait to become a member.

Startup-wise, I’ve still got a heap of work to do but having that direction makes all the difference. The clouds are lifting.

Thanks again.

DavidThomas
    • Total posts: 265
    Up

Hi Wannabe,

Good luck with your endeavor. My father in law is a cleaner, he has been through a number of adventures – maybe his story can save you some heartache.

He started out buying an existing business which had a few contracts – and thus looked good on paper. The reality was after a few months in, he was working 14hr+ nights for < $10/hr. Keep an eye out for the government contracts where you 'tender for the work' schemes, as its usually its someones mate who gets the job, as he comes in with a crazy cheap price - then they sell the business before they have to work the contract. He then moved on and got a job at a local school doing split shifts, which he has loved ever since

Melinda B
    • Total posts: 349
    Up
    GetYerOwnBin, post: 45691 wrote:
    Honestly, it had more to do with crying into my pathetic $4 coffee cup than courage. I just felt I was being squeezed by despair, the longer I stayed the more confused I’d get.

Do you have any idea how many people stay crying into their coffee cup and never take that step to make a change? It’s way easier to stick with the status quo and bitch about it than to actually do something.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    GetYerOwnBin, post: 45691 wrote:

Hey there Wannabe,
    As Melinda said, there are plenty of others in your situation who choose to handle the situation differently, and you’re to be commended for taking positive action. Good on you!

Quote:
    Indeed I spotted Burgo and contacted him straight away… What a top bloke! If this is what the cleaning community is like, I can’t wait to become a member.

Never a truer word spoken. There are dozens of people around here who can testify to Burgo’s wisdom and encouragement. I don’t know what we’d do without him :)

Have a great weekend gang,
    Jayne

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.