Home Forums Starting your journey Wanting guidance pricing my product

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    au_explorer
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

I am in the process of setting up a business…

– I have a supplier of some quality low-cost items from Thailand
    – These come in a min order of 50 boxes, 2 CUM, 650kg
    – My supplier sends on a CIF basis, Bangkok to Sydney

I have a quote from a local freight forwarder/customs agent.

I want to approach a large retailer about stocking my product

I am wanting to talk to someone about
    – the pricing of my product in a proposal to the retailer
    – what I should be looking for… tips and traps for the young player

Casual opinions welcome… and I am happy to pay for the advice of a knowledgeable professional.

Leave a message if you want to talk more.

MH08
    • Total posts: 284
    Up

Cross match pricing with a similar product currently in the market and find three of them and touch the average.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    MH08, post: 268136, member: 37395 wrote:
    Cross match pricing with a similar product currently in the market and find three of them and touch the average.

Yes a good plan, BUT, me and my buts, only if that average price gives [USER=111231]@au_explorer[/USER] a profit. That approach only works if they are on a similar input cost basis, but if their buying cost is higher, shipping is higher, it doesnt work. They need to first work out what there cost base for each individual item is, then start considering a sale price.

MH08
    • Total posts: 284
    Up

Absolutely, it’s more of a yardstick approach. Sometimes new business owners may even price themselves out of the market after costs and evaluate their plan.

Jason Ramage
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,166
    Up

Howdy

Just a casual side input, hope this is ok, although i am curious on what you define as a large retailer? And are you going to approach these retailers yourself?

Also, what position would you be in if a large retailer took on your product and outsold or outstripped your inventory and you could not replenish within their timeframes? i know it doesnt sound like a problem, although it could tarnish your reputation very quickly depending on who you are referring to as a large retailer… and also market segment.

Have you considered selling to retailers to build brand awareness, gauge product interest and so forth first?

Sounds interesting though.. lots to keep you occupied over the break by the sounds of it..

Cheers

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: hello@lucasarthur.net.au   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    au_explorer
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    LucasArthur, post: 268170, member: 34537 wrote:
    Howdy

Just a casual side input, hope this is ok, although i am curious on what you define as a large retailer? And are you going to approach these retailers yourself?

Also, what position would you be in if a large retailer took on your product and outsold or outstripped your inventory and you could not replenish within their timeframes? i know it doesnt sound like a problem, although it could tarnish your reputation very quickly depending on who you are referring to as a large retailer… and also market segment.

Have you considered selling to retailers to build brand awareness, gauge product interest and so forth first?

Sounds interesting though.. lots to keep you occupied over the break by the sounds of it..

Cheers

My supplier has been in business for 15 years and supplies large firms in Europe. The product sells well. I am not worried about supply.

Yes, I am going to approach a large retailer(s) myself.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.