Home – New Forums Other discussions Wanting to go into business…a lil gripe from me..

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    ::

Hi All

On a side note i am looking at going into business, not sure what to do or how to start.. Dont really have any money to spend or invest in its success although would love to have some ideas on how to do this.. What are your thoughts? should i start a business? what are the pros and cons? have you done it already?

I might come back and read this, or i may not.. either way please be sure to add as much detail as possible, for free, cos it might be valuable to me…

Um, this may be a read as tongue in cheek.. and may even get removed as a post.. but seriously, being fairly new around here it sort of shocks me that free advice is perceived as gospel and taken for granted… Maybe i need an administorian of FS to educate me a little further on the goals of FS cos of late it is really losing its flavour with me and the naivety of some queries (from first time posters and the likes) as well as blatant self promoters…

Maybe i am from an ilk of respect and common courtesy, showing before i receive, although its a little tiresome sometimes…

My gripe over, sorry for the negative connotations…

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Love you Jason – has anyone checked the full moon cycle, as I too agree

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

I have examined your requirements and found that I would recommend Magento for your new business needs.

Please send an email to didntReadthePost@spammersRUs to discuss how I can help you

p.s. all those other web designers/developers are idiots, don’t listen to them.

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Hmm what have you been taking my dear friend as this post is not the Jason who we love and admire.

Maybe you’ve been working too hard or not hard enough, but you now have to work for the dole and I cant see you doing that.

Maybe a short sojourn to FIJI which will bring your heart back to a much slower pace, as it did for me.

Perhaps write a book or some articles to magazines in the industry of your choice. Ive recently done that and enjoyed the experience.
    Maybe put your thoughts on soloism and small business to rival the Flying Solo book so it would increase the sales of Flying Solo as well

Maybe you have missed your afternoon coffee with that dash of RUM you know the one I recommend.

Perhaps you have the dreaded “Man Flu” which requires much nursing from a gorgeous young lady or two ( no make that one other wise it will only raise your blood pressure and we don’t want that).

But to answer your question of wanting to go into business, my answer would be what is your passion. If you don’t have one then your not suitable to have your own business.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    SimplyReplica, post: 196758 wrote:
    Hi All

On a side note i am looking at going into business, not sure what to do or how to start.. Dont really have any money to spend or invest in its success although would love to have some ideas on how to do this.. What are your thoughts? should i start a business? what are the pros and cons? have you done it already?

I might come back and read this, or i may not.. either way please be sure to add as much detail as possible, for free, cos it might be valuable to me…

Um, this may be a read as tongue in cheek.. and may even get removed as a post.. but seriously, being fairly new around here it sort of shocks me that free advice is perceived as gospel and taken for granted… Maybe i need an administorian of FS to educate me a little further on the goals of FS cos of late it is really losing its flavour with me and the naivety of some queries (from first time posters and the likes) as well as blatant self promoters…

Maybe i am from an ilk of respect and common courtesy, showing before i receive, although its a little tiresome sometimes…

My gripe over, sorry for the negative connotations…

Jason

Love your work, have you thought of a career in comedy..

Gizmo
    • Total posts: 731
    Up

Hello,

I have heard child care is something doing rather well right now from several sources.

But I read something recently that I think will answer your question, I found it pretty spot on:

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/5-signs-its-time-to-leave-your-day-job-and-become-an-entrepreneur/?tag=nl.e098&s_cid=e098&ttag=e098&ftag=TRE126e25f

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Hi Jason

Great discussion! We share your dismay on some posts, but alas it’s always been this way and it tends to come in waves.

We’re currently getting a fair bit of exposure to a new audience of newbies and of course we love having them here, but there’s little doubt that a side effect of such a friendly forum (one brimming with the constant chatter of a group of people who – largely – love what they do), is the sense that it can ‘be yours in one or two simple steps’.

Clearly such is not the case. Thank you for restraining yourself on such posts, you can always rely on us to respond with a pithy answer and as Burgo suggests nudge them towards our little book.

We truly love YOUR work Jason, don’t get despondent.

Robert :)

Hatching_It
    • Total posts: 414
    Up

Don’t know what you’re on about Jason… Making money is easy

1. Register ABN/Business Name
    2. Hire offshore developer
    3. ???
    4. Profit

In all seriousness though, it’s the one battle that online forums will never win. The battle of newbies who refuse to use the search option through either laziness or.. Nope just laziness..

And LOL at John… You’re lucky.. In my full time job I have to have the Magento discusion with at least 5 poor business owners EVERY SINGLE DAY..

Yes, your site is slow
    Yes, your offshore developer installed 6 million flash sliders
    Yes, you’re running on a $6/month server based in Nepal
    Yes, you’ve wasted $5,000 and if you had of called my first I could have recommended someone who would have charged you $10,000 but you’d be making sales already.

Sigh…

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up
    bb1, post: 196788 wrote:
    Love your work, have you thought of a career in comedy..

Comedy.. oh boy, i thought that is what all my posts were about? enlightenment the lightest way possible? LOL

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up
    Robert Gerrish, post: 196827 wrote:
    Hi Jason

Great discussion! We share your dismay on some posts, but alas it’s always been this way and it tends to come in waves.

We’re currently getting a fair bit of exposure to a new audience of newbies and of course we love having them here, but there’s little doubt that a side effect of such a friendly forum (one brimming with the constant chatter of a group of people who – largely – love what they do), is the sense that it can ‘be yours in one or two simple steps’.

Clearly such is not the case. Thank you for restraining yourself on such posts, you can always rely on us to respond with a pithy answer and as Burgo suggests nudge them towards our little book.

We truly love YOUR work Jason, don’t get despondent.

Robert :)

Hi Robert,

Thanks for entertaining my post :) i must say i am certainly aware of the ups and downs of said forum and the waves (oh i am now thinking of heading back to manly for a few beers – oh maybe next week) that occur..

Please, my post isnt really overtly negative and some appear to have seen the humour others maybe not but alas this is Jason in true form 😮 and just wanted to express myself as i have had some feedback recently on my posts, lack of input, over input and be absence on occasions.. Oh my gosh, am i missed.. LOL…

Re Burgo, mate, i think Hawaii may be on the cards in a few weeks.. just working out the finer details as i type.. Fingers crossed.. Fiji, could be an alternative.. Time to mellow…

Be well everyone, love you inputs as always..

Jason

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up
    Hatching_It, post: 196834 wrote:
    Don’t know what you’re on about Jason… Making money is easy

1. Register ABN/Business Name
    2. Hire offshore developer
    3. ???
    4. Profit

In all seriousness though, it’s the one battle that online forums will never win. The battle of newbies who refuse to use the search option through either laziness or.. Nope just laziness..

And LOL at John… You’re lucky.. In my full time job I have to have the Magento discusion with at least 5 poor business owners EVERY SINGLE DAY..

Yes, your site is slow
    Yes, your offshore developer installed 6 million flash sliders
    Yes, you’re running on a $6/month server based in Nepal
    Yes, you’ve wasted $5,000 and if you had of called my first I could have recommended someone who would have charged you $10,000 but you’d be making sales already.

Sigh…

1. Register ABN.. Check
    2. Hire offshore developer.. Check (they are working on my magento site as we speak)
    3. ???.. check, i always have questions…
    4. Profit.. Check… within 30 seconds i had an email from a Saudi prince wanting to invest in my business, all i have to do is send him some money to get his money out of the country and i an set! Woot Woot…

Search, mmm, search.. had to go to dictionary.com to figure this one out.. It still amazes me, regardless of forum or business research, that people can not establish some simple ground work before leaping in.. just lil things like Business Plans, Ideas, Sourcing and the likes,,, not being negative, as always happy to help others wade through these challenges although some are seeking the GOLDEN APPLE of life and business from a forum,, mmm… not sure this is the intended purpose, and i know if i had the get rich quick secret that i may keep that formula quite well guarded ;)

Always love your input Maclean..

Cheers
    Jason

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up
    JohnTranter, post: 196779 wrote:
    I have examined your requirements and found that I would recommend Magento for your new business needs.

Please send an email to didntReadthePost@spammersRUs to discuss how I can help you

p.s. all those other web designers/developers are idiots, don’t listen to them.

Hi John,

Thanks for your valuable advice, i sent you an email although it bounced back to me saying couldnt receive.. Is this a Magento hosted account.. LOL..

Please pm me to: cantYouAnswerMeNow@ineedanswersforFREE

Be well

Jason

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up
    MissSassy, post: 196775 wrote:
    Love you Jason – has anyone checked the full moon cycle, as I too agree

Am starting to think someone spiked my drink yesterday, as the colour of my glasses changed from Rosy to Red… ;)

Jason

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up

Hi Jason,

I work in retail so I am probably immune to bad manners and people wanting advice for nothing. There are lots of them but there are also many more who appreciate your effort. Feed off the positive and dump the negative with a shrug as quickly as possible.

I have been kicking around here for about 5 years and I have seen the same questions come up again and again and I know this irritates many people but I actually welcome this. Business and forums are fluid and contributors change and solutions change. There are very few definitive answers to any question and I take the view that a forum is about the discussion not the answer. While the questions might be the same, the discussion will always be different.

Should you answer questions to posts that appear as just a lazy request for information? For me, I would if I felt that I had an opinion that may be of use to the community in general. When I write a reply I always do it with the wider audience in mind because I know most of what I have learned from FS over the years has been reading replies to other peoples questions.

I think I have mentioned this before on the forums but let me tell a story of the power of a single post:

About 5 years ago when I first started hanging out here I had a crappy little 10 page website that was just awful (recorded for posterity here if you want a laugh). Then I read a post by SEO guru Aiden. The post was probably just another reply to yet another SEO question. However, there was something about the post that turned my thinking on its head from having a website that said ‘this is what we do’ to ‘what are you looking for?’. From that single idea, within a year my website had grown to over 1000pages, my web presence compared to my competitors was in a different league. I therefore dominated google and still do in many searches and became an authority in the industry. Now some of my competitors have caught up and actually do a better job on-line than me but I know that my website was seen as the target to knock off its perch. So not only did Aiden’s reply fundamentally change my marketing but lifted the game of a whole industry. These changes would probably happen at some point anyway but the point is, I got to lead the chase rather than be a follower, just because Aiden chose to reply to that particular question. I don’t recall but that question could well have been just another newbies lazy request.

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up
    Steve_Minshall, post: 196911 wrote:
    Hi Jason,

I work in retail so I am probably immune to bad manners and people wanting advice for nothing. There are lots of them but there are also many more who appreciate your effort. Feed off the positive and dump the negative with a shrug as quickly as possible.

I have been kicking around here for about 5 years and I have seen the same questions come up again and again and I know this irritates many people but I actually welcome this. Business and forums are fluid and contributors change and solutions change. There are very few definitive answers to any question and I take the view that a forum is about the discussion not the answer. While the questions might be the same, the discussion will always be different.

Should you answer questions to posts that appear as just a lazy request for information? For me, I would if I felt that I had an opinion that may be of use to the community in general. When I write a reply I always do it with the wider audience in mind because I know most of what I have learned from FS over the years has been reading replies to other peoples questions.

I think I have mentioned this before on the forums but let me tell a story of the power of a single post:

About 5 years ago when I first started hanging out here I had a crappy little 10 page website that was just awful (recorded for posterity here if you want a laugh). Then I read a post by SEO guru Aiden. The post was probably just another reply to yet another SEO question. However, there was something about the post that turned my thinking on its head from having a website that said ‘this is what we do’ to ‘what are you looking for?’. From that single idea, within a year my website had grown to over 1000pages, my web presence compared to my competitors was in a different league. I therefore dominated google and still do in many searches and became an authority in the industry. Now some of my competitors have caught up and actually do a better job on-line than me but I know that my website was seen as the target to knock off its perch. So not only did Aiden’s reply fundamentally change my marketing but lifted the game of a whole industry. These changes would probably happen at some point anyway but the point is, I got to lead the chase rather than be a follower, just because Aiden chose to reply to that particular question. I don’t recall but that question could well have been just another newbies lazy request.

Hi Steve,

What an awesome story and thanks so much for sharing it! Sounds a cliche, but hearing stories like this where the community is helping each other out in ways that make real differences to businesses (and lives) is absolutely what Flying Solo has always been all about :) Aiden is a a massive source of wisdom with 800+ valuable posts and counting. I’ve no doubt at all that you and Jason (and countless other of our beloved regulars) have equally impacted other members over the years.

I love this comment:

I take the view that a forum is about the discussion not the answer. While the questions might be the same, the discussion will always be different.

As regular contributors observe (and regular admins too) we inevitably do get the same questions coming up over time, but I love your observation that while the question might be the same the discussion is new – and sometimes, as it seemed with you, it may all be about hearing the right advice at exactly the right time.

You’ve made my Saturday arvo :)

Cheers
    Peter

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.