Home – New Forums Find the help you need wanting to make use of trademark

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up
    ::

Recently bought a business that came with a great two word trademarked phrase. Iconic Aussie type stuff ;)

Now we use this on one of our products but have the opportunity to use it on any form of apparel and headwear.

My thoughts are to license its use.

But need to know how to go about letting the market know about it – ie national sized screen printers, clothing manufacturers, maybe retail chains…. etc.

Ideas anyone?

King
    Up

Just thought I’d give my original question a bump – anyone have any experience in licensing trademarks?

sixx
    • Total posts: 333
    Up

Haven’t had any direct experience, but have enquired about it a few times in the past.

Generally it seems to be a 3 part process:
    – Make a list of manufactures who do what you require
    – Make material marketing and submit material to manufacturers ( sell your idea)
    – Negotiate a lincesne agreement. Get an attorney to go over it.

or .. you can contact a licensing agent such as Merchantwise and see what they can do for you. Possibly all of it, possibly only the 3rd step in the process. Obviously they get a cut, but their contacts in the industry would be priceless to a start-up I’d say.

King
    Up

Thanks for that. Yes step 1 is the hardest – actually locating big enough players in the market to make it worthwhile, so the agent might be the way to go.

sixx
    Up
    King, post: 27429 wrote:
    Thanks for that. Yes step 1 is the hardest – actually locating big enough players in the market to make it worthwhile, so the agent might be the way to go.

Yeah, I agree.
    Also another hurdle that may await you or an agent depending on the scope of your plans is finding a manufacturer that suits your needs and is still competetive.
    Most licensed clothing etc is produced in Asia which may conflict with your Iconic Aussie two word phrase.
    May seem a bit odd to have a t-shirt selling the True Blue Aussie theme with Made in China tags.

Have you considered going more botique as an option? or are your plans just to unleash a giant?

King
    Up

Crikey (not the term – it is trademarked in various forms already!) but yes I’d like to make a mint out of it. Essentially the items could sell in every tourist outlet in the country.

sixx
    Up

Wow! sounds pretty exciting.
    Given any thought to going down the Angel Investor path?
    Investment + Mentoring from someone in the same market could = big bucks.

Good luck with it.

King
    Up

Not thought about the angel investor path….I guess I’ve always thought that the per item returns would be so small that no investor would be interested. (Like Tshirts, I guess we would get maybe 50c each…?)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.