Home – New Forums Tech talk WARNING about a Bigpond/Telstra letter scam.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Brent@Ontrax
    • Total posts: 336
    Up
    ::

I Love toying with the Scammers. (I’ve even been sitting at a clients home, when the call has come in and played along with the caller. The client was laughing so hard they started to cry.

• I’ve pretended to do everything they are asking just to hear what thye are getting people to do exactly.
    • I’ve pretended to be a police detective that attending a murder scene (pinched that idea from a comedians act)
    • I’ve pretended to go alone with them but acted as though I’m not technology savy.
    • told them off.
    • used a faint beep sound on my laptop, to sound like i’m recording them, till they realised and asked about the sound, then quick hang up…
    • used a scratching sound as thou there is something else on the line and you tell them after a few minutes that you have successfully traced the call and will be there shortly.

I’ve even had scammer pretending to be from the ATO.

I usually keep going till they hang up. So if anyone has any more ideas, just PM them to me I’ll try nearly anything.

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up
    eStrategyPro.com, post: 0 wrote:
    My point is that nowadays, it takes more than just ‘common sense’ as hackers get more and more sophisticated with their techniques.
    …and yet every time I hear about something happening, it could have (should have) been easily avoided.

There is a case where someone received an email attachment that said it was a Xerox scanned image from a Workcenter. She happened to be expecting one and tried to open it. Her computer started locking up in various manners.

What was the file extension of the attachment?
    What was the email address it was sent from?

And the others… if you’re using a browser with serious security issues, or anti-virus and firewall software that isn’t up to scratch, then it’s not much different than driving a car that hasn’t been serviced regularly and has bad breaks, with insurance that doesn’t provide adequate coverage. Would most people do that?

Funny thing is, I visit all types of websites that would be regards as the “malicious” type, and for over a decade I have never been unable to avoid an issue, either by my browser, firewall or anti-virus warning me, or by using my head.

And the fact is, for all the more “advanced” issues you’ve mentioned, the overwhelming majority of issues are caused from someone saying “yes” to something they have no idea what it is. You’re saying that’s not just simple common sense? I’m pretty certain that if people took a moment to think about what they were about to do, just as they would do in the “real world”, 90% of issues that occur would be avoided.

But we can agree to disagree, I’m just providing an opinion.

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up
    Uncomplicating, post: 147523 wrote:
    I’ve had a number of calls from “Microsoft” about the “infections” that I apparently have.

I’m amazed my PC is still working.

Perhaps I should follow their instructions next time rather than telling them to [insert expletive here] off
    This is right up there with the Nigerian scams.

Another one, was looking for a car a few years back, emailed about one seemingly great deal on gumtree.com.au, get an email back about the car being imported from Hong Kong, need some money up front to clear it …etc. I really can’t believe people fall for these, but they do!

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up
    1. That 10% is increasing as time goes by.
    I don’t think so. As with most things technological, more informed = better armed. This is predominantly a user issue, not a technology one.

Do you have figures to back up your belief otherwise?

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up

You must have missed my question: Do you have the figures to back up your scaremongering?

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    zero-day

You keep on using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means.

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up
    Mate, when you see these developments and trends in the hacker community without the corresponding increase in knowledge/sophistication in the general community, you don’t need figures to deduce what’s going to happen.
    I’ll go grab my tin foil hat then shall I?

(though funny, even that link you posted talks about… common sense.)

without the corresponding increase in knowledge/sophistication in the general community

I give people a little more credit. Yes, there are still plenty of suckers out there, but fewer and fewer as information is shared.

But I’ll wait on some figures if you ever get the time.

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up
    Well, if a computer security expert admitted on TV to being infected, you know which side is winning the game.
    Must be true then!!

(though, funny, I nor any of my computer literate friends have ever been infected, I guess we must be just lucky ducks! :) )

(sorry, not “ever”, let’s say 10 years – I was a novice once too, even after using a machine for a few years… ;) )

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/what-is-a-zero-day-vulnerability-makeuseof-explains/
    I was kind of making the point that if you know about an exploit, it’s no longer ‘zero day’. Never mind, carry on.
    Zava Design
    Participant
    Up
    How do you/they know you/they are not infected?
    Oh FFS. Seriously?

I guess no more than you/they/we know we’re not descendant from aliens I guess. You win, I’m out.

Brent@Ontrax
    • Total posts: 336
    Up

Regardless of the type of attack, intrusion or invasion, whether you have or haven’t had these types of emails, attachments etc etc etc, as IT people, it is our responsibility to make sure we look after our clients and at the end of the day it all comes down to 2 things:

1. These people are out there and will continue to do what they are doing. They will evolve and we have to deal with it.
    2. BACKUP PEOPLE: I can’t yell it any louder…. IMHO If you get attacked, I’m sorry, but if we have to rebuild your machine/s and you don’t have any or a current backup, then I DON’T want you as a client.

Take care, be safe, think logically and spam you later….

OH Yeah: If anyone would like to donate to my “I’m still trying to find my missing FedEx & UPS parcels” cause, let me know…. Just kidding.

Brent

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up
    The gripe I have with Zava is that he seems to thinks that only suckers (i.e those without common sense) fall victim.
    Please don’t misquote me in your rants.

Thank you.

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up

So where did I use the word “suckers”?

As I said, stick to quoting accurately. Quite happy to be taken to ask over what I actually write, but not to have derogatory words I didn’t say attributed to me.

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up

Well my bad, I wasn’t actually referring to computer users specifically right in that comment, but I can see how it would be taken that way, so I stand corrected.

Will still stand by common sense being the most important aspect to this issue by far the majority of time. But enough said.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.