Home – New Forums Money matters Warning! ATO email scam

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Chris Brodie
    • Total posts: 94
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

Just a quick warning about an email scam doing the rounds purporting to be from the Australian Taxation Office and stating you are entitled to a refund. The email provides a link to a site that looks official and then asks you to complete a form providing your personal details, including your credit card details.

A couple of things to note are that the emails are generic and addressed “Dear Taxpayer” whereas any letter from the Australian Taxation Office would be addressed to an actual person. Secondly the Australian Taxation Office as policy will not refund money into a credit card and therefore would never request these details.

I know the majority of people would be aware that this email is a scam. However I did have one client who actually clicked on the link and was thinking about providing details but thankfully decided to wait until they had spoken with me. The Australian Taxation Office have issued press releases about this type of scam (happens about this time every year) and it is highlighted on the ATO’s website homepage. With the offer of a “refund” provided in the email, it is not hard to see why people can be tempted to give their details.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up
    ::

I got it today, as soon as it said refund I knew it was bogus.

Steve

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.