Home – New Forums Tell me straight… We finished our website today! Feedback wanted

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    SuperMinimal
    • Total posts: 21
    Up
    ::

Hey Guys

Yay!! We finished our site today, well almost, it’s 95% finished. Please let me know what you think:

http://superminimal.com.au/

Our business makes free websites and our target market is anyone who wants a website.

We’re trying to be really clear about what the deal is.. do you think it is easy to understand?

Thanks heaps

Annabel

KellyB
    • Total posts: 65
    Up

Hi Annabel
    I am pleased to see you have taken on some of our feedback from a few weeks ago and made it clear WHY you are doing this for free. I think stating that you rely on future hosting for your revenue is honest and upfront, and explains really simply why the websites are ‘free’.
    Kelly

sansamad
    • Total posts: 122
    Up

Hi Annabel,

Just had a very quick look. Could be just what I’m after…website development at a cost that a start-up at the begining of its journey can muster!

Cheers,

Sandra :)

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    sansamad, post: 162348 wrote:
    Hi Annabel,

Just had a very quick look. Could be just what I’m after…website development at a cost that a start-up at the begining of its journey can muster!

Cheers,

Sandra :)Can’t compete with free – and then with very cheap hosting!

Of course, there are some awesome WordPress themes you can install, while not free, are certainly a good price.

SuperMinimal
    Up

Hi Guys

Thanks Kelly and Matt for the positive feedback! Sandra please get in touch if you would like a site :)

Any more feedback is welcome!

Annabel

martin.firth
    • Total posts: 259
    Up

Hi Guys,

Interesting business idea! Not much to really comment on design wise as your site is just the Slate theme. One piece of advice I would give for you is to properly understand the licenses of the themes you are using to sell your hosting.

From a legal standpoint you need to make it very clear to your clients that neither they or you own your website design. You need to explain that they are bound by the license of the theme and wordpress, whether GPL or otherwise.

The fact that you force the users to pay hosting to get the free site means that from a legal standpoint, the sites aren’t free. To use the Slate theme commercially costs $2250 per use, and the fact that a user can leave your hosting for $200 suggests that you are either risking a $2k loss or aren’t really using themes in a legal manner. Either way, not a very sustainable business model.

Hope that helps!

Martin

SuperMinimal
    Up

Hi Martin

Thanks for your input! One piece of advice I would give for you is to properly identify a site before jumping to conclusions about the licensing arrangements.

Firstly this is not even a WordPress site, and most certainly doesn’t use the theme you mentioned. Secondly of course we use a front-end framework for all the sites we create, as does any good web developer these days. We have a licensing arrangement in place that allows us to do this. As you can see from our portfolio our sites are all custom-designed and not just template sites.

From a legal standpoint we need to make it very clear to everybody else reading this that our clients most definitely own their websites, and what you have said is completely incorrect.

In the future it might be good for you to do a bit more research before you accuse other people’s business models of being unsustainable, as this is quite a strong remark to be making. We’re extremely proud of our business model and the fact that we can help businesses starting out, rather than charging them $2000 – $3000 for a website before their business has even begun!

Cheers

Annabel

martin.firth
    • Total posts: 259
    Up

Hi, I apologize, I did mistake your website for a wordpress theme rather than a C5 theme. I would say that all my points, apart from the cost, still apply. With the slate theme for example, it’s stated in the license that it remains the property of the licensee, Chris Seymour.

Please don’t take my criticism as hostility. I don’t post on these forums to wind people up, I do so to help businesses. I’ve been in your shoes as a young entrepreneur, and I don’t want anyone caught up in disputes. One 50k law suit can be the death of a small business.

Happy designing!

Martin

SuperMinimal
    Up

Thanks Martin, your apology is accepted.

As I mentioned we have an agreement in place that allows us to use this theme as a front-end framework on which to build our custom designs. This forum is probably not really the place to discuss the intricacies of software licensing as this will be boring to most readers and belongs in another thread, maybe you should start one yourself. Thanks for your concern though!

Phew now that’s over I would love some more feedback from other readers about the site itself :)

Annabel

victorng
    • Total posts: 626
    Up

I like the minimalistic style. Given the amount of whitespace maybe increase the font size? Good to see varied styles in your portfolio too.

Dislike the little men as they’re a bit old hat these days and don’t match the super clean feel of your site IMO.

Be very careful on pushing the ‘free’ line if people can’t get a free site unless they also get paid hosting. Regulators go berserk over these sorts of things.

Cheers,
    Victor

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi Annabel,

I also like the clean/minimal style of your site. From purely a visitor’s perspective, I think the ‘design’ is fine.

I think that your information is pretty clear, that the site design is free but you need to pay for hosting. However, like Victor said just ensure the way in which you’ve described is all hunky dory simply so you don’t face issues with description of ‘free’ later on etc.

The hosting fee appears quite cheap per year, especially as it’s including domain name – I would suggest some further information that perhaps includes:

• What sort of domain is included (i.e. .com or .com.au etc) Apologies if this is mentioned somewhere, I couldn’t see it.
    • What level of hosting/space is included … you mention having as many email accounts as needed, plus also the web site itself so I imagine there are some size limitations? This should be included somewhere I think.

Hope this helps. All the best :)

brendan29
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

Hi Annabel,

I think your site looks great. No bells and whistles but it’s clean and aesthetically pleasing.

I also like your business model. When I was first starting out last year I created a do it yourself wordpress site to keep costs down. It looked horrendous. I would have much rather have come to you.

Good luck!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.