Home – New Forums Tech talk Web 2.0 Pyramid w AMR + Article Spinning

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    profitclicks
    • Total posts: 160
    Up
    ::
    DreamscanbeVisions, post: 87589 wrote:
    Yes but these genuine articles etc will be on the main site.

I do understand where you are coming from I just have a big issue with spun articles. Yes they do work but I would rather see genuine ideas promoted on the internet rather than just fodder.

DreamscanbeVisions
    • Total posts: 284
    Up
    agentlocal, post: 87595 wrote:
    I do understand where you are coming from I just have a big issue with spun articles. Yes they do work but I would rather see genuine ideas promoted on the internet rather than just fodder.

I believe as long as you have the right intentions i.e answering the viewer’s question(s) with the article then there should be no problem if it’s spun or not, though I can see how spinning articles can be frustrating for some.

Does anyone have any idea of different things that can be automated to boost web 2.0’s besides articles & comments ?

Regards.

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

@Combo – one popular method is to offer your services to the sites you want links from, sometimes in the form of a guest post that is relevant to their audience but it could be offering to do something else that benefits their site.

As others have mentioned, its great to get links that come naturally because you have something of real value on your site. At the moment infographics and other graphically presented analysis seem to be particularly popular.

As an aside, it might surprise some readers of the thread to know there are many SEO’s unashamedly offering to buy links, prices offered range from about $80 and up to many times that, depending on how authoritive the linking site is to the buyer.

I’m not condoning buying links but some big brand companies do it succesfully via their SEO consultants!

There are many flavours of ‘link wheels’ including the closed loop type you mention and the open chain types. Some swear by them but personally after my experience with them, I’d be really reluctant to create any obvious pattern in any link building efforts…

I agree with John W that those links that can be obtained by anybody are likely to be of lesser value, so there are some caveats to using 2.0’s, chiefly, you need to get enough credibility to be give a followed link for starters.

I would not however dismiss them as poor links because the whole domain was not devoted to one topic. I believe G rates and ranks webpages more than it rates websites. Certainly one sees those 2.0 pages rank well for fairly competitive keywords where the content is actually good and the page has some decent backlinks.

To my mind, if Google ranks a page highly for your target keyword (or a closely related keyword), even if in another country, then it is a great page to get a link from – it must be as G already rates it!

I’ve also seen some cases of fairly nondescript sites do well just because they got a link from a newspaper site and newspaper sites are also mixed topics like the web 2.0 sites.

@agentlocal – it depends what you mean by ‘spinning’. If you are looking to spread some content around in order to create traffic and links to your site then why not use different versions of the same article? It is going to be much more effective than simply copying the same article ad nauseum around the different host sites. Well re-written content is better for the site it is posted at too so you would be doing the host site a favour (thereby indirectly increasing your own benefit).

Its all very well to say create great content only for your own site but how is anyone then going to see it? Great content still needs promotion and that promotion can be legitimately raised by posting lesser detailed versions of your great piece at other sites. Well spun articles are not crap at all!

I think maybe there is too much negative pre-conception of the term ‘spinning’, probably associated with the poor quality stuff we see so much of from overseas operators. Done carefully it can be very effective and completely legitimate imho.

DreamscanbeVisions
    Up

..so maybe a review & a do-follow link then 2 weeks after they do the same for you, accidentally their do-follow link gets deleted – of course I am kidding.

Since these are products I’m selling it becomes hard to “service” them but maybe I can just give them the product for free assuming they pay postage & handling which covers the marginal cost – I’ll give it a go within the next few weeks.

I’m not a fan of buying links since the authoritative website is most probably sending visitors via no-follow + I think money can be better spent especially since some sites I see do require a monthly fee of $75+ – Maybe when money doesn’t become an issue :)

What do you think of squidoo.com/sydney(keyword) linking to money or buffer site ? – Surely this has to have some decent value especially since it will have those infographics ;), unique content, traffic & at minimum ranked 3rd page if decent (mid competition).

Also what do you think of exact match domains linking to the money website ? For e.g seosydney.com.au + internetmarketing.com.au, etc all linking to gorilla.com.au – Are these very high quality links assuming the sites are on different I.P’s.

Yeah good point as to international links, that’s great to know thank you :)

With spinning you can even change the titles, images, links, amount of text, font structure. Furthermore adding links to other authoritative sites like wikipedia & other (keyword related) domains will make it hard for google to see whos website is trying to manipulate the google goddess itself lol

Regards & thanks for the contributions I’ve so far learnt some valuable info.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    DreamscanbeVisions, post: 87583 wrote:
    Google mainly cares if people who click on the link find the link’s destination of interest e.g time spent on page, pages viewed, etc.

Assuming a visitor clicks from a relevant hubpage & another clicks from a small niche forum & keeping all factors such as time spent on page, etc the same – Big G would boost the site’s authority mainly because of the hubpage’s authority status compared to the small niche forum, your thoughts ?
    Hi,
    I don’t believe G uses either the numbers of clicks through to a site or the time on site in its ranking algorithm.

On using click through rates:
    Google has always denied that this is a part of their ranking algorithm.

Time on site:
    G could only measure this for people logged in with a Google account or on sites with Analytics installed. I read a Jun 2011 articles that said Analytics was estimated to be used on 47% (I think) of sites. If G was using this in the algo, then the sites with Analytics installed would have worked their way to the top of the rankings – they haven’t.

Time on page is a very crude metric that will be influenced by so many factors that I can’t see it offering any relevance in a ranking algo. If you visit a site for the company’s phone number, it may be on every page or you may need to click around to find. If the phone rings while someone is on a site page, the metric is false. What about sites where people spend a lot of time on entertainment? We’d end up with all the top ranked sites being Facebook, gaming sites or videos.

Finally, If G did use an Analytics attribute in ranking sites then you can bet they would be hounded for predatory marketing tactics – like when the EU forced Microsoft to unbundle Internet Explorer from Windows. That’s why Firefox is the dominant browser over there but not here.

Domain authority:
    I believe you will find that it is the value of the referring page that influences the link value. My understanding is that G does not assign a ranking value to a domain. It’s Home page will have one, of course.

I think you will find that terms like “domain authority” and “trust” are loose descriptions of a bunch of factors that help predict sites that are likely to contain useful pages.

I posted about this recently: http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/sales-marketing/14787-does-facebook-earn-you-credibility-trustworthiness-4.html.

Regs,
    JohnW

Tony Pfitzner
    • Total posts: 213
    Up
    Aidan, post: 87608 wrote:
    If you are looking to spread some content around in order to create traffic and links to your site then why not use different versions of the same article? It is going to be much more effective than simply copying the same article ad nauseum around the different host sites. Well re-written content is better for the site it is posted at too so you would be doing the host site a favour (thereby indirectly increasing your own benefit).
    I totally agree with Aidan on this.
    Spinning is SOOO.. 2010 ;) and real websites don’t need this crap.
    Why not carefully and thoroughly research and develop a useful, interesting topic and create a base article that can be re-written and re-purposed for a number of platforms. You can then offer it to webmasters who have on-topic websites with decent Pagerank or whatever as an article, or produce a podcast or video. You could re-purpose the same info a number of times without losing quality.
    If you can’t write, pay someone to do the article writing, then edit it yourself.
    profitclicks
    Up

If the content is well written, I have no problem with it. If it is rewritten for a particular audience, I have no problem with that either. It is only when people start using spinner software that I do. More often than not, the content makes no sense and it’s obvious the sole reason for the article was to build links rather than provide genuine content. The time we spend as business owners is better spent on projecting out meaningful content, rather than automated content.

You only have to look at Flying Solo as a prime example – the news articles on here are unique. The content is of substance. There is a genuine need for this content. Flying Solo is being the media and any business owner aspiring for greatness needs to have that mindset of being the media.

DreamscanbeVisions
    Up

Hi JohnW,

With all respect I do believe that billion dollar corporation such as google can see the time spent on a page, pages viewed, etc regardless of whether analytics is installed – assuming google has these sites indexed.

I’ve also read from an article in seo moz that everything google publicly states is not always congruent with their actions, obviously no company is going to share everything they do & don’t do.

I also think that a billion dollar corp like google will know the difference between a site such as youtube which is full of just videos & a website that is about a specific niche hence why I believe time spent is deffinetly a factor.

In regards to CTR I also think this has an impact since the ctr on an adwords ad & the ctr on organic results in the SE have an impact on quality assuming other on-page analytics are monitored such as time spent on page.

With domain authority I agree that the site must be of value to the it’s audience & just a poorly written blog with EMD won’t rank as well as an authoritative blog with no emd.

Facebook I don’t see as a great individual source for incoming links but it does provide good value (in my opinion) when used as apart of the seo strategy since it creates diversity.

@Tony

I very much agree that spinning articles is garbage… when those article link directly to the money or buffer site. When these spun articles (half-decent) link instead to your professional youtube video or your facebook profile or hubpage or professional article on a relevant niche site then……. I see it as a good way to simply boost traffic to the web 2.0’s.

I just see this much easier than having 1000 unique articles from all over the place linking to web 2.0’s when you can have 1000 quickly done-up articles linking to the web 2.0’s. The main purpose here is to bring traffic to the web 2.0 which will in-turn click the link going to the buffer or money site, your thoughts ?

This is a great idea: Providing unique articles of your own to authoritative blogs, etc in the same niche – That is a big thing I’ve learnt from this discussion so far so thanks everyone :)

@agent – Yes flyingsolo is a great example but in my strategy flyingsolo (a forum/blog/directory) would be on the same level as the web 2.0’s so my question is to boost flyingsolo in the beginning wouldn’t it be good to have links from web 2.0’s which have been juiced up by decent articles (spun with infographics, images, nice titles, etc) from directories, blogs, etc ?

DreamscanbeVisions
    Up

I must add this:

After looking into how “SEO experts” operate I found that the majority have a team which work at buying links from authoritative niche sites, exchange content for links, provide SEO optimization for links & the BIG SEO experts (real ones) create authoritative niches’ in different sectors & simply just add client links to the site.

I’ve seen an Australian seo company (won’t name) do the latter of the above but in a sleazy way. All they did was add all of their clients’ links to every authority niche site they owned for e.g

Homeload website would have outbound links to home loan clients & weightloss clients….

JohnW
    Up
    DreamscanbeVisions, post: 87667 wrote:
    With all respect I do believe that billion dollar corporation such as google can see the time spent on a page, pages viewed, etc regardless of whether analytics is installed – assuming google has these sites indexed.
    Hi,
    In response to this post, can I humbly suggest you read up a lot more about the Internet protocol, how SEs work and what Google has said about how they rank results.

You could waste an awful lot of your time attempting SEO without these basic understandings of how this medium works.

You can find every point of view supported on the Internet. I receive 14 newsletters per day, so I’ve probably seen more than most. First, you need to know who to believe…

Regs,
    JohnW

profitclicks
    Up
    JohnW, post: 87693 wrote:
    Hi,
    In response to this post, can I humbly suggest you read up a lot more about the Internet protocol, how SEs work and what Google has said about how they rank results.

You could waste an awful lot of your time attempting SEO without these basic understandings of how this medium works.

You can find every point of view supported on the Internet. I receive 14 newsletters per day, so I’ve probably seen more than most. First, you need to know who to believe…

Regs,
    JohnW

Agree with John that it is a case of knowing who to believe – in my experience thought we cannot be using industry newsletters as gospel since they too are often filled with speculation. We only have to look at the Forbes
    “Stick Google Plus Buttons On Your Pages, Or Your Search Traffic Dies” saga. My advice is yes look at the industry newsletters, look at the reports being made about the industry, look at the Google Announcements and their patents but take everything with a grain of salt.

Compare what you hear with your own tests and make your judgements then. Quite often, even some of the SEO gurus here have their own agendas.

DreamscanbeVisions
    Up

I guess this becomes more subjective now.. Personally I don’t take things from face value & I don’t always believe everything newsletters or google say is always true.

It is feasible for a corp in big g’s position to monitor analytics whther they’re little software is installed or not. Furthermore I wouldn’t be surprised if google used ctr & analytics from adword campaigns to boost a site in their SE, just a small hunch I have..

Facebook is legally allowed to sell any piece of information from anyones profile, they are not going to announce that.. Google is legally allowed to track any website, visitor activity – they’re not going to announce that.

Anyway I’ve learnt plenty from this thread so thanks everyone.

JohnW
    Up

A visual history of Google’s war on spam and tactics to game its results:
    http://www.seo.com/blog/google-wages-war-spam/. Summarises all major upgrades from 2003 – 2011.

Interesting numbers on how some of the article spinning sites referenced in this thread have apparently been decimated since the Panda upgrade.

JohnW

Netboost SEO
    • Total posts: 191
    Up
    DreamscanbeVisions, post: 87420 wrote:
    Hi everybody hope you’re all doing well.

I have a question as to who’s had experience in regards to using the following techniques to rank a website.

1. Create web pages with PM (phrase match) domains or close like (keyword)scheap.com.au. Then do all relevant on-page seo.

2. Use spun articles which have been semi-manually spun & using article marketing robot to mass submit to authoritative blogs, directories & web 2.0’s.

3. Have the anchor text links vary & link to different pages of youtube video, manually written hub pages, etc.

4. Link all of the latter web 2.0’s to the original website (keyword)scheap.com.au.

5. Have all of the web 2.0’s mass bookmarked & mass liked, commented, viewed, etc.

6. Link (keyword)scheap.com.au to money site.

Note* Proxies would’ve been used for the bookmarking,etc & the article syndication.

Rest, Rinse, Repeat. What do you guys think ?

Regards.

It can work but it is kind of an expensive/time consuming way to to do things. But I guess it depends on how much money your money site makes.

I would suggest a few changes:

1.Money site MAKE SURE CONTENT IS HIGH QUALITY and there are NO spammy links directly pointing at it.

2.dummy domains (eg. scheap.com) + relevant contextual one-way links [pointing to money site] MAKE SURE THEY ARE ON DIFFERENT C CLASS IPs

3. multiple web 2.0 properties (you can comment, like and bookmark these at random to make them appear more natural) + quality articles + directory links [pointing to properties above]

4. randomized profile link blasting + mass spun auto approved articles + blog comments + social bookmarking [pointing to properties above]

5. more profile links [pointing to properties above]

DreamscanbeVisions
    Up
    Netboost SEO, post: 87987 wrote:
    It can work but it is kind of an expensive/time consuming way to to do things. But I guess it depends on how much money your money site makes.

I would suggest a few changes:

1.Money site MAKE SURE CONTENT IS HIGH QUALITY and there are NO spammy links directly pointing at it.

2.dummy domains (eg. scheap.com) + relevant contextual one-way links [pointing to money site] MAKE SURE THEY ARE ON DIFFERENT C CLASS IPs

3. multiple web 2.0 properties (you can comment, like and bookmark these at random to make them appear more natural) + quality articles + directory links [pointing to properties above]

4. randomized profile link blasting + mass spun auto approved articles + blog comments + social bookmarking [pointing to properties above]

5. more profile links [pointing to properties above]

For #3 do you use automated software to comment, bookmark & like or do you do manually with any I.P, does it matter ?

For #4 do you use xrummer, if not what do you use & why (i don’t think I’ll be using xrummer or atleast not yet).

#5 What do you mean by profile links do you just use a tool that automatically just generates all these profiles & attaches the links to them ?

Also Netboost have you used things like eBay profile links, gumtree links, etc ?

Thanks for the advice :)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.