Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Web Analytics Questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Samith
    • Total posts: 187
    Up
    ::

It’s hard to find a business operating without a website these days, but how many of those websites use an Analytics tool effectively to measure ROI, identify trends and optimize user interaction?

Add your experience with Web Analytics here. (Google, Yahoo, Web Trends etc)

Best Regards,
    Samith W.
    Join Business Intelligence Group today!

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

Samith,

I use Google Analytics on a daily basis.

I run two websites – A business mag of sorts (http://www.emroypost.com.au) and my main business, printing (http://www.emroy.com.au).

I check then both every day normally.

With Emroy Post – just to check what articles are popular, what topics people are clicking on etc.

With Emroy – To see which pages are the most popular, what products people are looking at the moment.

Great tool! Quite addictive though :P

– Jake

SewSpunky
    • Total posts: 49
    Up

I am just starting out, but have discovered Google Analytics (and as of this morning the Webmaster Tools). I have been having a good play with each, but am still on the massive learning curve.

I am hoping that as the teething period passes and I become more established I will have the time to really learn what these tools are telling me and how to apply the info to better my site :)

Dave Bockett
    • Total posts: 97
    Up
    Emroy, post: 34583 wrote:

– Jake

I know what you mean Jake! For a couple of my more established websites I have now setup a monthly report to be emailed to me and this has helped with my checking stats addiction!

Dave.

Watotech
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

I currently use Stat counter it does a good job at telling you what people did and when and it even give you a handy counter if you want to place at the bottom of your page

Arnold Shields
    • Total posts: 58
    Up

Google Analytics is very addictive but such great info.

Each morning, I spend a few minutes checking:
    Google Analytics

• Number of Visitors
    • Which pages & post are popular
    • What keywords people used – provides ideas for new blogs and finding vacant niches
    • Any new refering sites
    • Any major movements in bounce rates, time on site

Webmaster Tools

• Links – Any new links to site
    • Top Search queries
    • Crawl Errors – Just to make sure everything is working
    • Crawl Stats
    • Html Suggestions

Some of my other sites, I may only check once a week.

Samith
    Up
    Emroy, post: 34583 wrote:
    Samith,

I use Google Analytics on a daily basis.

I run two websites – A business mag of sorts (http://www.emroypost.com.au) and my main business, printing (http://www.emroy.com.au).

I check then both every day normally.

With Emroy Post – just to check what articles are popular, what topics people are clicking on etc.

With Emroy – To see which pages are the most popular, what products people are looking at the moment.

– Jake

Yeah Jake, it’s really addictive, I try my best to look at reports only once a day for my site ausseek.com.au :) There are few main things I look at first,

Landing Pages Vs Bounce rate
    Top Content Vs Exit Rate

Other than those two, I always look at Goals and the goal funnels to work out where visitors leave each goal process.

I have also set up site search, to get an idea what are the most searched terms in the website.

Best Regards,
    Samith W.
    Join Business Intelligence Group today!

Samot
    • Total posts: 157
    Up

Was about to post a link to this new analytic tool I found until I remembered that they have an affiliate system.

This tool is great its got the usability of google but in a much more understandable way. It also lets you spy on people who are currently viewing your website which I find pretty useful and fun.

I’ve started using it more over google analytics because its faster to find what I want and it also tells me about short urls and twitter data.

The next feature I find good is its very easy to share with other people your data so when my clients want to their stats I just link them the url.

http://getclicky.com/203158

Its free for 1 website.

fad-cate
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

I have awstats which came with my host provider although after hearing the recommendations of google analytics I was thinking of going with that (not sure if there is any extra useful info in it though?). It is certainly addictive even though I’m not completely sure what I’m looking at!
    Does anyone know if there is a way of blocking particular ip addresses from skewing the stats? My own ip addresses seem to heavily weigh them.

mexham
    • Total posts: 302
    Up

Fad-cate the google analytics tool is much more comprehensive. Once you switch to that you’ll never look at awstats again.

With google analytics you can setup filters to block ip addresses such as your own, I’m not sure how to do so with awstats.

I use analytics almost everyday also. Just checking visitor numbers, traffic sources and keywords. Monthly I also work out my conversion rates of sales to visitors. I’d feel blind without it.

Melinda B
    • Total posts: 349
    Up

I use both google analytics and Statcounter.

Arnold Shields
    • Total posts: 58
    Up

If you were running a WordPress site – some of the Google Analytics plugins (for example http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/google-analyticator/), will exclude admin from Analytics stats.

Samith
    Up
    fad-cate, post: 34764 wrote:
    if there is a way of blocking particular ip addresses from skewing the stats? My own ip addresses seem to heavily weigh them.

In analytics you can create filters to filter out your own traffic from the reports. Following is a neat tool you can use to do that

http://www.google.com/support/googleanalytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=55572

I always set up two filters to filter out my home and work traffic.

There’s a number of features that you will find in Analytics, that you won’t find in any other web analytics tool, not even in Google’s own paid version of Analytics (Google Urchin).

Best Regards,
    Samith W.

TheWebExpert
    • Total posts: 49
    Up

If you own a website, and you do not use Google Analytics, and you also have not setup a tool like Webmaster Tools, you are missing a huge opportunity.

Just like every part of your business, where you should have goals and objectives, and use tools or measures to track how you are going – these tools for your website are a must.

V

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up

As per most others here, I also use google analytics for my own sites and customer sites.

Another aspect of it I like is one element of measuring SEO success or failure in both directions

For example, it’s no good getting a number one listing for some selected phrase if it isn’t increasing site traffic. Often it’s very easy to get a #1 ranking in google for some types of words or phrases, but unless it brings traffic (of the right kind) it’s not worth hanging your hat on.

On the other side of the coin, one particular website I work on is proving very difficult to get to page 1 for a selected keyphrase (in an ultra competitive industry), and it’s only moved up about three spots from botom to middle of page 2 which is frustrating. However since I started the project the visits to the site have tripled (with resulting enquries and sales up a similar amount), mainly due to massive ranking jumps in rankings for hundreds of long tail keywords. Were I just looking at rankings of the one phrase it would be considered a failure. But when you look at the analytics data and the resulting enquries and sales, it’s a major success with more to come.

Overall what i’m getting at is that while targeting specific phrases for ranking improvement is important, Analytics will tell you a more relevant story, good or bad.

Plus, if you are getting a lot of hits on particular pages (that are designed to generate enquiries) and no enquiries from them, or a high bounce rate, Google Analytics can alert you to this, and you can then work on your conversion optimisation to improve these results – or get an expert to help you of course!

Best of luck to all

Matt
    Web Marketing Australia

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.