Home – New Forums Starting your journey Web Design?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    wbw
    • Total posts: 34
    Up
    ::

I have bee doing a bit of web design, I am not trained thought – just done through DIY programs and learning through experience. Almost finished a website for a family member and it has turned out quite good. People say I should be doing it as a job but I don’t really know much about coding. What basic knowledge would I need and can any one recommend suitable courses. It is not something I would be doing to go and work for a company and create websites for big businesses and corporate companies, however it is something I could do a bit of at home for people with small/micro business. Any suggestions?

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

i would suggest having a look through seek learning, they have plenty of great courses which you can do in your own time

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up

Would you prefer to learn about more the coding/programming side or the design side of things? I highly recommend you choose one and go with it…… don’t try and stick your hand in too many pies. :)

microsync
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

I would recommend you work out what your talents are.

Are you great or have the potential to be great at graphics design, etc.

Are you a developer at heart? Do you like to code?

The reason why I make the distinction is that I have met very few people who are excellent at both. So focus on the area you love most as this will make it easier for you to learn quickly and develop your skills in that field.

Regards,
    Iss

wbw
    Up

Thank you every one for your responses. I am most interested in the design part – the whole organising, research and creative side of putting together a website. I also enjoy photoshop (editing photos, creating banners and logos etc.)

I just thought I would need to know some code if I wanted to create websites for other people. Is there a way to do web design for other people without really knowing code? I don’t mind learning at least the basics for it, I can’t imagine not being able to learn code, the only question is it necessary and does knowing code make you a better web designer?

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up
    wbw, post: 82517 wrote:
    Thank you every one for your responses. I am most interested in the design part – the whole organising, research and creative side of putting together a website. I also enjoy photoshop (editing photos, creating banners and logos etc.)

I just thought I would need to know some code if I wanted to create websites for other people. Is there a way to do web design for other people without really knowing code? I don’t mind learning at least the basics for it, I can’t imagine not being able to learn code, the only question is it necessary and does knowing code make you a better web designer?

For a designer the only code you should need to know is how to code the design PSD into a working page (XHTML/CSS). This isn’t a requirement but a lot of designers also do frontend coding and IMO it helps a lot if you at least know a little bit about the frontend coding as this helps you create realistic (read: not a nightmare to code) designs.. you don’t want the coders who you give your designs to to hate you! :p

So yeah…… I’d say at least learn a bit about the frontend coding (XHTML/CSS) but leave the backend coding to the coders and focus on becoming a kick-ass designer. :)

microsync
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

I would also add don’t let the technical aspects limit your creative juices :-)

I’ve seen so many times an excellent creative graphics web designer once starting to focus on the technical aspects effect the quality of their design skills.

They start to limit their abilities by becoming too concerned about how the web developer is going to work with their design.

I believe let the creative web designer design and let the web developer deal with how they are going to make that web design work in reality :D

Tergeste
    • Total posts: 65
    Up
    wbw, post: 82324 wrote:
    I have bee doing a bit of web design, I am not trained thought – just done through DIY programs and learning through experience. Almost finished a website for a family member and it has turned out quite good. People say I should be doing it as a job but I don’t really know much about coding. What basic knowledge would I need and can any one recommend suitable courses. It is not something I would be doing to go and work for a company and create websites for big businesses and corporate companies, however it is something I could do a bit of at home for people with small/micro business. Any suggestions?

I suggest that you invest in this course http://preview.tinyurl.com/3dxrj6t not expensive and contains 9 hours of very informative videos.

iamsparro
    • Total posts: 65
    Up

Hey there. I’m a self-taught web designer myself.

I found that I really excelled my skills (in terms of validated code, etc) when I began trying to work out why things worked rather than just making sure they did.

I realised then that I was a bit of a ‘hack’ coder; and the more I looked into the right way to do things, the more I learnt. Now I don’t consider myself a hack at all :)

Be sure to validate all of your pages – that’s the easiest way to work out where you’re going wrong, and then go from there. There is so much knowledge on the web – I don’t think you need to do a course at all.

Keep an eye on Nettuts.com, ask questions in Digital Point or Webmaster World, and try to focus on one CMS (I recommend WordPress because they have so much documentation and user discussion).

wbw
    Up

I have come across 3 short courses at my local community college – Build Your Website 1, 2 & 3. Course teaches how to create wordpress websites and blogs, themes, designs, layouts, plugins, back ups, optimization. I was considering doing that as a starting point before doing any long courses such as certificate IV, diploma etc. I am not sure how much coding the courses have but that may be something seperate I can do a later time through reading, internet videos or short course through TAFE.

Does this sound like something worthwhile to do to start off with? I thought my basic self-taught web design combined with these short courses may give me more basic insight into webdesign and from there I can decide whether I actually want to go onto gain qualifications or wether I don’t need to. I had an IT technician who is a professional web designer and coder look at one of the websites I created and she has said it is good. If any one wants to have a look, I would appreciate your opinion http://www.wiseowlcreations.com . If I do persue doing some websites it would only be part time from home and for small & micro businesses, people working from home. I’m not interested in doing large websites or corporate websites.

Thank you all for your comments.

altima
    • Total posts: 131
    Up
    Iss, post: 82576 wrote:
    I would also add don’t let the technical aspects limit your creative juices :-)

I’ve seen so many times an excellent creative graphics web designer once starting to focus on the technical aspects effect the quality of their design skills.

They start to limit their abilities by becoming too concerned about how the web developer is going to work with their design.

I believe let the creative web designer design and let the web developer deal with how they are going to make that web design work in reality :D

I have directly opposite opinion, good web designer should know the media (web in our case), what is possible and impossible to do it there. Otherwise it will result significant waste of time in best case or sub-par work.

wbw
    Up
    SW123, post: 0 wrote:
    not a bad looking site – good start i guess – let me know what you think of http://www.hoppingmad.com.au

Cheers

Steve
    hopping mad graphic design

What I like about your website is it is simple yet effective. The home page has a snap shot of what you do and some some samples of your work. Thie website is easy to find your way around for people who are interested in further information. All of your pages have the relevant information written in a short and simple way. There is nothing worse than a homepage overloaded with information , you can’t find your way around or pages that just waffls on with too much information. Also like the changing frog image, I always think some sort of movement or change keeps the website more interesting.

B Cooper
    • Total posts: 211
    Up

If you’re planning to just work with Small Businesses, you could learn to build websites with WordPress. You can learn everything you need to know online for free.

If you want to learn to build websites from scratch, look into learning HTML, CSS and PHP. You can learn all of this for free online from W3 Schools (search them in Google).

B Cooper
    • Total posts: 211
    Up

Here is a link to one of my free WordPress Starter Guides if you decide to go with WordPress.

http://smallbusinesstalk.com.au/download-wordpress-guide/

Brentis

Keeta Nova
    • Total posts: 294
    Up

I am one of the few web people who still prefer to create everything from scratch. I write all the code myself, and this is simply part of the creative process. Writing code gives your more flexibility for simple sites and many of the web design programs seem to fill up the code with junk.

I like to know what’s going on underneath.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.