Home – New Forums Starting your journey Web Design Essentials

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    John Baillie
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

I am a student of web designing and just near to complete my training. I am going to start my own web design and marketing business but before going in the rink, i wanna know some essential things relating to web designing.

I am thinking that what a normal person will consider while hiring a web designer? I personally think that he/she will first look at past experience, samples of previous work, reviews, price indeed, timeframe etc etc. But i think these are the normal things which every body consider. I wanna know something or some tips which stand me out from others and make me uncommon from my potential competitors. It’s just the start of my business and career so i wanna know something very workable.

Please contribute all…

flintrock
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hi John,
    It is really essential that you have a body of commercial work that you can show potential clients. I know that it is a chicken and egg situation (how do you get experience when no one gives you work) but a good way around this is to do some voluntary work – not freebies for commercial organisations, but rather for some charities.

I have also found that it’s a good idea to develop niche markets, as owners of steel fabrication businesses (for example) would be much more interested to see sites that you made for their competitors than anything you might have done for wedding photographers.

At the end of the day the only reason anyone wants a website is to sell product or service. If you can show that you know how to do this (and have the tenacity to stick with it) ultimately you must succeed.

Good luck

16k_zx81
    • Total posts: 43
    Up
    John Baillie, post: 124014 wrote:
    Hi All,

I am a student of web designing and just near to complete my training. I am going to start my own web design and marketing business but before going in the rink, i wanna know some essential things relating to web designing.

1. an established body of high quality work

2. competitive, easy-to-understand pricing, in regard to base packages and SEO (what it will cost the customer to get a site with SERP for their desired keywords)

3. a body of high quality, genuine, testimonials

4. a killer website that markets the services effectively and that ranks on major search engines for relevant keywords (depends on how you are marketing your services)

5. really good graphics skills or outsourced staff who can create awesome graphics

6. a good understanding of relevant ecommerce systems

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up

Learn business fundamentals. A successful web design business is is more about the business side of things than any design ability.

I would strongly recommend seeking employment to gain the relevant business & professional knowledge and experience before freelancing fulltime. And in the meantime you can freelance on the side to gain experience in that area.

As for your USP, only you can work that out, from your own abilities, experiences, interests. Mine is that I offer a level of high end experience that is extremely rare for the potential clients and price bracket I now target. But that took me 15 years of industry experience to get to the stage where I could offer that to my smaller business clients, and it works very effectively (so long as I continue to deliver quality of course).

John Baillie
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

Thanx to all for such a great peace of answers. I love to work with people like you. I would also like to share one thing about browsers to take opinions of all of you guyz.

I personally think that browser testing is quite possibly the least ‘fun’ aspect of web design. But, like the dentist its a necessary evil. I think as web designers we must check our sites for all the browsers but also should consider what possible browsers or what browser your target audience use in priority. Should we use progressive enhancement for browsers that can handle nifty thinks like text shadow etc??

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.