Home – New Forums Tech talk web design trends/ seasonal factors

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    littlegreenweb
    • Total posts: 15
    Up
    ::

Hey comrades,

You’ve all been so helpful in the past I thought I’d run another couple of questions by you all – particularly anyone working in web design or development

Does anyone know of any seasonal trends or factors that affect the web design/hosting industry.

What growth is being experienced now if any.

Thanks in advance

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

From my experience the holidays are generally slow, but there is normally a rush after new year as people start thinking more about their business and how to grow it.

As for growth, every business is slowly realising they need a webpage, and that generally professionals are better at marketing / seo than they could ever hope to be. Looks at ads on TV – they generally have website mentioned, there will also be room for a good online services company to grow.

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

Google trends says that searches on web design dip slightly at Christmas but other than that it’s steady…

MatthewKeath, post: 30207 wrote:
    there will also be room for a good online services company to grow.

This is off topic, but I wonder about the low end of the market. I think over the next few years we will see the DIY cload site builder type websites gain some more traction.

Things like http://www.squarespace.com/

…any service that can’t be commoditised and automated will have room to grow to the point where the guru isn’t in control anymore…

IMO best not to grow, a worldwide bunch of obssessive humans are trying to do that, better to concentrate on getting more $$$ for your hour by sticking to an the right area…

..but I could be wrong, I frequently don’t know what I’m doing :)

littlegreenweb
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

Thanks Matthew I figured that was the case but needed to hear it from a seasoned professional. BTW I signed up for your adwords promo. Good luck with frontbox!

Thanks to you too John, I totally agree that looking for total world domination isn’t always the best approach. Personally I look forward to having a satisfactory amount of work that I can get paid a reasonable amount for.

Cheers

wordmistress
    • Total posts: 504
    Up

Hi Tzaddi

I would agree with Matthew on the seasonality of web design because I imagine it’s on par with copywriting. I took a couple of months off work at the end of 2009 and started back up in January. At the end of the year, everyone seems to be on a slow-down but it all cranks up again when the new work year starts.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    littlegreenweb, post: 30258 wrote:
    Thanks Matthew I figured that was the case but needed to hear it from a seasoned professional. BTW I signed up for your adwords promo. Good luck with frontbox!
    Thanks littlegreenweb, it’s a really exciting time for us. I hope you win!

I think over the next few years we will see the DIY cload site builder type websites gain some more traction.

I think sites such as the one you mentioned have been knocking on the door for quite a while, but the door has never really been opened fully. Businesses still need to spend a lot of time building their site with DIY builders to make their site look good. I have heard of designers using these DIY builders to help them develop clients sites, and it look like at least a few of the examples sites given have taken this route.

That said, Squarespace (among others) looks great, and has some cool features. I think any company that only focuses on design / hosting, especially the cheaper end of the market, may find the going tough. The 90’s are well and truly over…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.