Home – New Forums Starting your journey Web designers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Rball
    • Total posts: 136
    Up
    ::

Do web designers and developers use conventional cms like wordpress and drupal for their clients?
    If you are one, what cms do you recommend/use?
    RB

AdServe
    • Total posts: 112
    Up

Hi yep Joomla is what I use but I am starting to use wordpress more.

Go with Joomla if you will need to do dynamic things like shopping carts and databases etc and with wordpress if it will be more of just a static site.

Rball
    Up

Thanks for that, what about if you use Dreamweaver?

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up

If the client wants the ability to manage the site themselves then yes. WordPress is something I will use a lot; don’t really like Joomla personally…. think it’s way too complicated for the standard user.

AdServe
    Up

Dreamweaver and a static site is something you should never use.

Joomla is complicated but I usualy have my users edit everything from the front end just making changes to existing pages. If they need to add a new menu link its a two step process but they can manage it. WordPress is great, so easy to use for anyone but joomla has so many extensions available.

Basic sites WordPress, Sites that do things Joomla.

JayeClissold
    • Total posts: 12
    Up

I tend to use either Joomla or WordPress, though here at work we have a custom CMS we have developed. I also like Business Catalyst because they have a live editor, so the client just clicks the text they want to change and then they’re done with it.

MikeB
    • Total posts: 25
    Up

It depends what the intent of your site is.

I’m a big fan of wordpress . . . . for many reasons. If you’re building a business site and want to use it to attract customers/clients then I’d definitely go for wordpress.

One piece of advice is you might want to consider a custom template/theme as there are many free ones that look rubbish. It all depends if you can find one you like or if you’re after something a little different.

Cheers Mike

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

One can’t really recommend what is good without knowing what it’s used for.

This is a very silly topic.

Besides….Umbraco is the best…

waldorf
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

We use Drupal for our clients as it is scalable, flexible and there are may add on modules. Just make sure you incorporate a simple editor and provide links to video tutorials and away you go.

We have had much success with a variety of business and level of IT skills being able to use Drupal confidently.

Regards,

Waldorf
    GetYourOwnSite

Craig_Longmuir
    • Total posts: 556
    Up

if it needs updating then yes i would use WP.
    many clients have no interest in updating the site themselves or might just need to update once or twice a year and in this case i build static sites…

RaspberryBlack
    • Total posts: 47
    Up

What to use should completely depend on the client’s needs: what they’re comfortable working with, what they need to do with their site and what the site itself needs to do, just to name the most important.

In an ideal world this wouldn’t have to do anything with the designers’/developers’ favourites :) As they say, if your only tool is a hammer then every problem will be a nail to you.

Cheers,
    Tina

Rball
    Up

Thanks for all the replies. I like the last quote about the hammer. Johnsheppard, good input..
    Anyone checked out dolphin 7?
    Worth $99 license per site?

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up
    AdServe, post: 73612 wrote:
    Dreamweaver and a static site is something you should never use.

Joomla is complicated but I usualy have my users edit everything from the front end just making changes to existing pages. If they need to add a new menu link its a two step process but they can manage it. WordPress is great, so easy to use for anyone but joomla has so many extensions available.

Basic sites WordPress, Sites that do things Joomla.

I still wouldn’t use Joomla for sites “that do things”; just because it’s one of the more well known CMS’s out there doesn’t mean it’s the best….. there are plenty more good CMS’s available.

Drupal, Silverstripe, ExpressionEngine to name some. :)

AdServe
    Up

I have used Silverstripe, Its good in its own ways but Joomla has so many extensions available that there is no need to start from scratch building any kind of functionality into a site.

sensory fx
    • Total posts: 92
    Up

Joomla has a complex multiple user privilege system with user registration and layered content privileges. WordPress does not have a traditional privilege system at all.

http://www.a3webtech.com/index.php/compare-joomla-wordpress.html

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.