Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Web holding page opinions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    writeNOISE
    • Total posts: 68
    Up
    ::

Hi there

Hope I’m posting in the right area, but I’d like to get members’ opinions/advice on how long you should have a web holding page up before your new site goes live.

I’ve searched for any guidelines on the web, but can’t find any…

My (very embarrassing) current website is being redesigned and I wanted to put a holding page up – with my new logo and colours – so it’s consistent with my new social media branding look. And so I can be more confident in my image to start more proactive marketing.

But some people I’ve spoken to say you shouldn’t have a holding page up for more than a few weeks, or you risk people losing interest and never visiting your site again. I’ve seen plenty of web holding pages being up for months, and I still go back to check now and again. Maybe that’s just me being stalkerish…

Any thoughts or experiences to share?

Thanks

Virginia

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

I am not sure that there are any specific guidelines as all the circumstances are different for every business.

Personally I would just leave your site until the new one is ready, for the sake of a few weeks it really isn’t going to matter and people can still see what you offer.

You could always add a tag somewhere that says you are undergoing a refresh and people should sign up to your newsletter to stay informed of when the new site will be live.

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

I have a client who’s website used to have a holding page that said “Our new website will be ready in one month.” Five years on, it now says “Our new website won’t be ready in one month…”

If you’re worried about it and it won’t effect your SEO, you could always redirect the URL to your Facebook page for a while.

writeNOISE
    Up

Thanks for your advice, bluepenguin and MissSassy.

I think I will leave the old site up, despite the discrepancy in image… it’s got my writing portfolio on there and for the voice-over portfolio, I’ve been referring people to my YouTube channel.

My new website is still possibly a couple of months away, so I’ll leave it until closer to the time and put the holding page up…

Really appreciate your input!

Virginia

eWAY
    • Total posts: 524
    Up

Why not put a holding page up, but ensure you’re giving visitors the opportunity to find out when you go live?

Do this by:

– Having social media ‘follow’ buttons for linkedin, facebook, twitter, google+
    – Have a mailing list signup
    – Have a basic contact form

Maclean

writeNOISE
    Up

Thanks Maclean

The holding page mock-up design has my social media links, and my phone number/email address – but I didn’t think of a contact form.

And the mailing list idea is good – MissSassy suggested similar. I don’t have a newsletter as such, but I guess having an option to sign up will give me an idea of who visits my site/signs up – or not.

Thanks!

Virginia

eWAY, post: 185643 wrote:
    Why not put a holding page up, but ensure you’re giving visitors the opportunity to find out when you go live?

Do this by:

– Having social media ‘follow’ buttons for linkedin, facebook, twitter, google+
    – Have a mailing list signup
    – Have a basic contact form

Maclean

eWAY
    • Total posts: 524
    Up
    writeNOISE, post: 185646 wrote:
    And the mailing list idea is good – MissSassy suggested similar. I don’t have a newsletter as such, but I guess having an option to sign up will give me an idea of who visits my site/signs up – or not.

Thanks!

Virginia

Exactly, you don’t have to use it but once the site is up you could send out a simple email letting them know its finally up.

Mailchimp is free for something like 500 receivers so I’d suggest looking there.

Maclean

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.